Farmergedden

Kind of funny thing this I've worked on dairy farms for near all my life even worked in Australia on cattle stations and a big dairy farm in Nz and Iam sorry too tell yous but your 10 years too late too moan about farms being 2 big a avg sized 100 cow farm will employ about 1 person usually not all and some don't have any a 400 cow farm in the uk will employ about 7/8 plus contractors and summer hands the big farms may be wrong in your eyes but it is twice as much work as a small farm cos deadlines have too be met fertility has too be higher cos the cull rate is higher the feed is higher in protein the feed they get is of better quality cos it's not had cows ripping up the field the grass grows better and sweeter and now days you do have a machine for everything even bedding but the machine may break sure but it won't be lazy like a worker that can't be assed scraping the beds down every milking cos he has been out on the drink them small farms can't afford the nice toys that the big boys get and even in today's new sheds they have automatic covers that will control ventilation if any one is going too tell me the new big sheds are worse then the old byres that cows used too live in you have never smelt ammonia or had too calve a cow on top of straw that has not been cleaned out in 2 months things that need too get done on the big farms are usually done not saying you can't have a farm full of idiots you can but more men means more can get done cows are not left lame cos there is no spare boxes cos the small farmer has 2 the big farms might have 10 right next too the parlor the day and age of old style farming are gone I bet if you were too ask the old boys would you rather go out with the horse and plow or the big massy air condition cab with radio and air seats they would just turn there hands round and say son these hands done that work are you f*****g stupid

. True lol. You arnt welsh are you

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is not going to help British farmers, it will only help the investors, it is the death knell to traditional farming. Keep them all on a 100 acre site then sell the rest of the land for housing.  

2000 dairy cows never seeing a grass field , row after row of concrete stalls , feed delivered by a conveyer belt , Pigs. 5000 in one shed Coming soon to a field near you lagoons of slurry

I would hazard a guess that this is being sponsored, promoted and supported by the big supermarket chains. They will then boast in their sales pitch that their produce is sourced from one local farm e

Kind of funny thing this I've worked on dairy farms for near all my life even worked in Australia on cattle stations and a big dairy farm in Nz and Iam sorry too tell yous but your 10 years too late too moan about farms being 2 big a avg sized 100 cow farm will employ about 1 person usually not all and some don't have any a 400 cow farm in the uk will employ about 7/8 plus contractors and summer hands the big farms may be wrong in your eyes but it is twice as much work as a small farm cos deadlines have too be met fertility has too be higher cos the cull rate is higher the feed is higher in protein the feed they get is of better quality cos it's not had cows ripping up the field the grass grows better and sweeter and now days you do have a machine for everything even bedding but the machine may break sure but it won't be lazy like a worker that can't be assed scraping the beds down every milking cos he has been out on the drink them small farms can't afford the nice toys that the big boys get and even in today's new sheds they have automatic covers that will control ventilation if any one is going too tell me the new big sheds are worse then the old byres that cows used too live in you have never smelt ammonia or had too calve a cow on top of straw that has not been cleaned out in 2 months things that need too get done on the big farms are usually done not saying you can't have a farm full of idiots you can but more men means more can get done cows are not left lame cos there is no spare boxes cos the small farmer has 2 the big farms might have 10 right next too the parlor the day and age of old style farming are gone I bet if you were too ask the old boys would you rather go out with the horse and plow or the big massy air condition cab with radio and air seats they would just turn there hands round and say son these hands done that work are you f*****g stupid

. Massy you must be joking it JD. OR New holland or your no one lol Edited by gonetoearth

Dairy farm,s need to get bigger and bigger to survive with the price of milk being so low ,there was a American one on Country file and robots milked thousands of cows

yeh and the milk is then battered by chemists and ends up coloured water were walking into. A nitemare that will make bse and FnM. Look like the common cold

Dairy farm,s need to get bigger and bigger to survive with the price of milk being so low ,there was a American one on Country file and robots milked thousands of cows

iv been on quite a few farms milked by robots and its better for the cows, they walk in themselves and get milked more often mean less mastitis and the rubber flooring and scrapers mean better feet.

:no:Well this thred didn't end up where I thought it would.... I honestly thought as it ran it'd be about the land, not the animals farmed on it....

Personally, I really don't give a flying feck about farm animal husbandry.... Let some other fecker worry about half starved cows and chickens that don't see light and I don't give a feck about halal slaughter either... That bollox stopped me subscribing to EDRD, as I was sick and tired of DH banging on about it..!!!

And all that cheffy shite too, as much as I used to like 'ol Hugh FW, i'm sick and tired of him and Oliver telling me that I should eat the very best of reared meat and that I should pay more for the privilege... Feck that right off... If anyone thinks, I'm eating beans on toast all week to pay £40 for a piece of beef, or £15 a chicken for my Sunday roast, not a chance.... It may taste better to those who can afford to compare but that Aldi chook will taste just fine cooked right with all the trimmings... I love good food BUT I'm not a food snob...

What worries me about large farms, is the fact that they will see the smaller ones go under and the land be sold for housing etc.... And for someone who has spent all these years grubbing round farmland in the pursuit of critters to hunt, that would be a fecking travesty.

I'd hate to see those horrible manky farms be lost from our countryside... You know the ones, ancient rusting machinery everywhere, potholes on the tracks that could shake the bolts out of a Sherman tank. Manky, shite crusted stock in tumble down sheds and barns that house more TB ridden badgers at night than cows!

Fields, that in winter even the best motocross lunatics in the world would never get across and best of all, that bow legged, old boy... Holes in every item of clothing, teeth like walnuts as he smiles, because you've made the trip, to rid him of your favorite quarry and for that, him and his equally downtrodden wife will present you with a dozen 'real' free range eggs from the worst looking chickens you've ever seen..!

That's the type of farm thats the most interesting, thats the type of farm thats the best for results... Not that stylized utter wank that we are fed by the smug tosser Adam on 'c**t'ryfile', with his rare breed bollox diversity and his clinical life.... He's never used bailing twine to hold his kecks up..!!!

Nah, give me a 'midden ridden paradise' where I can do as I please.... :rolleyes::laugh: :laugh:

:thumbs:

I've worked on a lot of Dairy farms, and seen a lot of sights, some of which may say is 'cruel', but you cant have your cake and eat it.

The worst neglect I have seen was a middle aged farmer whos dad had passed away and he had almost given up, the place was a bombsite, cows lying half dead in their own shit as he struggled to scrape a living :bad: dead stock left to rot in fields, cows on slings and laying in the filth unable to get up as their back end had gone.

Ive also been on farms where the management of the stock was exemplary, not a thing out of place and everything spotless almost clinical, grass kept in tip top shape to maximise the amount of time cows can be kept outdoors.

If you want cheap produce, the animals are bound to suffer as costs are minimised at every turn. Farming in this country is in a right state, we still import produce from all over the world as its cheaper than producing it on our doorstep :blink: same with everything else we 'produce', I for one would rather pay the extra cost if it meant our people had jobs and manufacturing was kept on our shores.

GTE you've spouted a lot of pish on this thread, even for your standards, and im not interested in a shite flinging contest. Its clear for most to see you haven't a f*****g clue what your on about. :victory:

Edited by STRANGER
  • Like 4

Are dairy herds. HAD some of the best bredd dairy cattle in the world bar NONE. HAD !!!!!! Then the EU stepped in ,

We still produce some of the best product , it is up to you as the consumer what you eat Taste Comes from how its bred and how its fed how its kept , id rather eat road kill than the shite imported from the eu

Very true about the meat :yes: I live here and the beef, lamb and pork is shoite compared to what I grew up with.

Local everything from the local butchers even his pork was from Yorkshire (not local but still British) then the supermarkets started to take over in the early nineties and then in the late nineties the butchers shut feckin crying shame.

The meat here may be crap but the fish and seafood kicks ass :laugh:

:no:Well this thred didn't end up where I thought it would.... I honestly thought as it ran it'd be about the land, not the animals farmed on it....

Personally, I really don't give a flying feck about farm animal husbandry.... Let some other fecker worry about half starved cows and chickens that don't see light and I don't give a feck about halal slaughter either... That bollox stopped me subscribing to EDRD, as I was sick and tired of DH banging on about it..!!!

And all that cheffy shite too, as much as I used to like 'ol Hugh FW, i'm sick and tired of him and Oliver telling me that I should eat the very best of reared meat and that I should pay more for the privilege... Feck that right off... If anyone thinks, I'm eating beans on toast all week to pay £40 for a piece of beef, or £15 a chicken for my Sunday roast, not a chance.... It may taste better to those who can afford to compare but that Aldi chook will taste just fine cooked right with all the trimmings... I love good food BUT I'm not a food snob...

What worries me about large farms, is the fact that they will see the smaller ones go under and the land be sold for housing etc.... And for someone who has spent all these years grubbing round farmland in the pursuit of critters to hunt, that would be a fecking travesty.

I'd hate to see those horrible manky farms be lost from our countryside... You know the ones, ancient rusting machinery everywhere, potholes on the tracks that could shake the bolts out of a Sherman tank. Manky, shite crusted stock in tumble down sheds and barns that house more TB ridden badgers at night than cows!

Fields, that in winter even the best motocross lunatics in the world would never get across and best of all, that bow legged, old boy... Holes in every item of clothing, teeth like walnuts as he smiles, because you've made the trip, to rid him of your favorite quarry and for that, him and his equally downtrodden wife will present you with a dozen 'real' free range eggs from the worst looking chickens you've ever seen..!

That's the type of farm thats the most interesting, thats the type of farm thats the best for results... Not that stylized utter wank that we are fed by the smug tosser Adam on 'c**t'ryfile', with his rare breed bollox diversity and his clinical life.... He's never used bailing twine to hold his kecks up..!!!

Nah, give me a 'midden ridden paradise' where I can do as I please.... :rolleyes::laugh: :laugh:

getting fewer and farther between, theres still a few in the time warp around here, but rules,regulation's and red tape covered inspectors eventually broke there backs when BSE struck. all farms and small holdings were sterilised and polished like new buttons, theres still the few die hards with their corrugated tin shanty towns but more often than not the white van with the blue sign-age will be seen parked outside the gates and another will be sold and turned into horse utopia with an endless line of potential six year old Olympic competitors that will loose interest in twelve months or so when they discover the next Justin Beiber. the fact is the countryside is being sanitised and changed at an alarming rate and like the likes of us who hunt now are going to be squeezed into ever shrinking pockets.

getting fewer and farther between, theres still a few in the time warp around here, but rules,regulation's and red tape covered inspectors eventually broke there backs when BSE struck. all farms and small holdings were sterilised and polished like new buttons, theres still the few die hards with their corrugated tin shanty towns but more often than not the white van with the blue sign-age will be seen parked outside the gates and another will be sold and turned into horse utopia with an endless line of potential six year old Olympic competitors that will loose interest in twelve months or so when they discover the next Justin Beiber. the fact is the countryside is being sanitised and changed at an alarming rate and like the likes of us who hunt now are going to be squeezed into ever shrinking pockets.

:yes: :yes: :yes::victory: