Not The Same As When I Was Young.....

I was talking to a lad yesterday, 23, has a boy aged 3. The lad has lived his whole life within half a mile of the sea. He's never seen a rock pool, doesn't know what a hermet crab was, never fished, never looked under sea weed. Has never really walked in the countryside, never seen frog spawn, etc. now fair enough, I know his dad and he's a pub 7 days a week guy. This lad seems to be not much different.

It got me thinking..... What kind of start to life is the lads boy going to have? I couldn't imagine growing up without living most of my youth in the countryside. Jumping burns, collecting eggs, catching tad poles, minnows...... This young lad just laughed when I said you need to show your boy a bit of nature, is this the norm?

• Like 18

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was talking to a lad yesterday, 23, has a boy aged 3. The lad has lived his whole life within half a mile of the sea. He's never seen a rock pool, doesn't know what a hermet crab was, never fished,

i grew up in inner london, and although dad worked long shifts, sometimes nights, grafting really hard down the docks, he always made time for us , and being a big family he used nearly all his spare

Lived on the edge of the town just near the countryside, the beach was about a mile away and the hills and forest about 2 with plenty of fields in between. My dad wasn't one for the outdoors or spen

Posted Images

My dad always ad me out and about as a young lad (5yr old) walks exploring the countryside and I do the same with my lads I av nothing worse than them been cooked up in the house watching shit on tv and playing on PlayStation. my oldest lad is wanting a ferret now lol ad him out other day and he seen his first deer he loved it

Sadly baw it's very common.

I couldn't believe my ears mate. 23 years old, never been on the water, practically lives on the shore. How does that happen? Don't get me wrong, fit guy, plays football, in the darts team, out going etc etc. but not a shred of interest in the outdoors. He couldn't even name 5 birds mate nevermimd ever pointing them out.

My dad always ad me out and about as a young lad (5yr old) walks exploring the countryside and I do the same with my lads I av nothing worse than them been cooked up in the house watching shit on tv and playing on PlayStation. my oldest lad is wanting a ferret now lol ad him out other day and he seen his first deer he loved it

Good to hear that mate. Do you think it's cos we were poorer back then that our parents enjoyed the free things in life? I dunno about you mate but all my holidays growing up were wild camping and I f***ing loved it.

• Like 1

Here's a very true saying i heard a few years ago... TIMES DON'T CHANGE... PEOPLE DO

I don't know if that's strictly true. When I grew up you could play rounders in the street, no c**t had a car. You could play football almost anywhere, no all the grass has no ball game signs. So I don't think it's totally all the kids fault they don't play outside. Plus back then you didn't worry about your kid getting grabbed as much as they do now.

There was an interesting list published by I think the national trust - 50 things all kids should do by age of 13. A few wanky ones but in general good stuff like climb a tree, dam a stream, camp out under the stars etc. I work in an inner city school but one only ten mins from the countryside and it frightened me how few kids have any idea about it at all!

Dam a stream, good shout that ideation. Used to spend days doing that. I think I heard that on the radio either last year or year before that 50 things. I can mind it was a woman talking about it and she didn't get a good reception regarding the tree climbing. Her response was, kids aren't as fragile as you think, it never done as any harm. Most kids aren't capable of even catching a ball which is f***ing terrible.

reminds me of an old mate john him and his mrs had twins john liked a beer to get the kids out the way of his mrs he used to take them down the pub in the summer most nights they`d be sat in the beer garden in the winter he`d take them and sit drinking in the golf club by the time they were 12 they`d be in the pub on the pool table never went on holiday johns idea of a 2 week holiday was a trip to the bookies and 4 hours in the pub --- i spoke to him at christmas he said he was embarressed by them he cant see maybe it was the error of his ways the lads are 27 now one`s an alkie the other a out n out piss head and dealer

Edited by the_stig

reminds me of an old mate john him and his mrs had twins john liked a beer to get the kids out the way of his mrs he used to take them down the pub in the summer most nights they`d be sat in the beer garden in the winter he`d take them and sit drinking in the golf club by the time they were 12 they`d be in the pub on the pool table never went on holiday johns idea of a 2 week holiday was a trip to the bookies and 4 hours in the pub --- i spoke to him at christmas he said he was embarressed by them he cant see maybe it was the error of his ways the lads are 27 now one`s an alkie the other a out n out piss head and dealer

I can't understand why guys have kids if they don't want them. Or is this the norm for them? Cos we enjoy different things, are we right and them wrong? I don't mean kids turning into alkies but not enjoying the outdoors. Maybe it's us that are the weirdos and they loved there childhood too. f**k knows, seems alien to me.

but are they good at pool :hmm::D
  • Like 4

Being brought up in the valleys most of my friends think im nutts when im leaving my house at 6 in the morning to walk the mutts in the freezing cold or up till 5 lamping then to work by half 7 but as a kid spent my summer holidays up my uncles yard with the dogs had playstations and stuff but never liked being in doors depends on your upbringing I think my old my man hates hunting and stuff was a pro football player when I was born but I always loved dogs if it wern for my uncle I would of probably never pick up hunting

I can't understand why guys have kids if they don't want them. Or is this the norm for them? Cos we enjoy different things, are we right and them wrong? I don't mean kids turning into alkies but not enjoying the outdoors. Maybe it's us that are the weirdos and they loved there childhood too. f**k knows, seems alien to me.
end of the day mate you only notice it cause its what you did when you were a wee kunt (some say you still are :D) someone in to trainspotting as a kid would think the same about that, someone into football as a kid would say the same etc etc......everyone is different and thats what makes the world go round......:thumbs: Edited by clipo
  • Like 2