Sturgeon, No Plan B

It will be a 'yes' vote and Scotland will have the Euro (they're already in the EU)

Those who cast the votes decide nothing

Those who count the votes decide everything. Joseph Stalin.

Say it is a yes vote and wee fat eck has to apply to join the EU ( as said if we get independence we have no automatic right to be in it ) as we will have no defense they will stipulate we get the euro ?.

Who has said that ? If they've officially said that (I haven't heard it) its quite a wooly statement.

What other choice is there than the Euro, as has been said on here, they'll not be keeping the pound.

a pegged sovereign currency has very few drawbacks compared to a currency union , it would give the scottish government considerably more monetary and fiscal policy control, for example. the main downside is the need to have a foreign-currency reserve fund, but borrowing to set up one of those would still cost a lot less than the share of uk debt wed be walking away from, so Scotland ends up quids in on the deal

That would indeed be splendid for Scotland, as it would be for any country, but you are not being offered sovereignty, just 'independence (from what ?)

Do you actualy believe you will be free from central bank control ?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thought this was a post about fish.........   I'm out..............

But surely scot, real independence if that's what you crave, means independent of everything? They don't want Independence, all they want is more power.

it does bother me,and prob bothers every other person like us in the uk.but im not prepared to give up what he have,on the off chance it "could" be better. my thinking is,it has taking a long long t

Posted Images

It will be a 'yes' vote and Scotland will have the Euro (they're already in the EU)

Those who cast the votes decide nothing

Those who count the votes decide everything. Joseph Stalin.

Say it is a yes vote and wee fat eck has to apply to join the EU ( as said if we get independence we have no automatic right to be in it ) as we will have no defense they will stipulate we get the euro ?.

Who has said that ? If they've officially said that (I haven't heard it) its quite a wooly statement.

What other choice is there than the Euro, as has been said on here, they'll not be keeping the pound.

a pegged sovereign currency has very few drawbacks compared to a currency union , it would give the scottish government considerably more monetary and fiscal policy control, for example. the main downside is the need to have a foreign-currency reserve fund, but borrowing to set up one of those would still cost a lot less than the share of uk debt wed be walking away from, so Scotland ends up quids in on the deal

So we are in debt and we get independence England lets wee fat eck walk away debt free ? not a hope in hell

alot more to it than that mate, yes aint saying no to debt, never have.. uk wants scotland to take on debt, they will if they get fair share of assets.. if the uk try play hardball, scotland by law doesnt need to take on any debt because the debt is in uk name

My eldest is studying politics i heard it on one of the sunday morning boring as hites programmes she watches , Any new country accepted by the EU has to take The Euro wee fat eck cant print pound notes with his face on them

if its a yes vote, we would still be in the eu for another two years, enough time to setup membership while still a member.. its been done in 18months before

eu have a team looking into it all now i believe

We have no guaranteed right to be in the EU, we could apply to join and get the Euro or buy from them and pay there taxes till we get membership

My eldest is studying politics i heard it on one of the sunday morning boring as hites programmes she watches , Any new country accepted by the EU has to take The Euro wee fat eck cant print pound notes with his face on them

if its a yes vote, we would still be in the eu for another two years, enough time to setup membership while still a member.. its been done in 18months before

And there we have it !! Very Independent !

We have no guaranteed right to be in the EU, we could apply to join and get the Euro or buy from them and pay there taxes till we get membership

as it stands uk wont be in the eu after the eu in or out vote

And there we have it !! Very Independent !

f*****g alot more than we are now, thats for sure

Tomorrow’s speech could win or lose the entire independence debate. If George Osborne really tries to bully the Scottish people with an empty threat – a “declaration of economic war”, as Iain Macwhirter put it on BBC Radio Scotland this morning – he’ll be giving Alex Salmond a free shot at an empty net. If the First Minister muffs it by adopting a policy of denial from now until September it’ll be political suicide, and we simply can’t see him being that inept.

If on the other hand he tucks it away calmly and without fuss – at any point in the next couple of months, although the sooner the better – by saying “Okay, have it your way, we’ll have our own pegged currency and you can shove your debt up your arse”

So the logical question is; why not just do that? It'd please both sides of the argument! LOL. I suspect that's not quite the full story eh Joe?

The YES argument just makes no sense, you're making out they're doing the stupid thing taking on debt they're not obliged to and fighting for a shared currency............. It begs the follow up question; why are you voting YES? LOL

You need to check your facts joe they would ,but Scotland as a new country would have no direct right too

So the logical question is; why not just do that? It'd please both sides of the argument! LOL. I suspect that's not quite the full story eh Joe?

The YES argument just makes no sense, you're making out they're doing the stupid thing taking on debt they're not obliged to and fighting for a shared currency............. It begs the follow up question; why are you voting YES? LOL

currency union is best option for both sides, even the uk public poll agrees. all am saying its not the end of the word, if the uk gov wants to try play hardball then f**k them

Good god man, do you follow whats going on in Europe ?

Spain Italy Greece Portugal on their knees, France and Britain not far behind.

very true, uk gdp is worse than spain ;)

its broken, time to fix it

You need to check your facts joe they would ,but Scotland as a new country would have no direct right too

for those two years leading upto it wouldnt, still in uk enough time to setup things, as many have agreed. to be honest mate, either way id like to hear what this eu team say

@BH

There’d of course be a degree of unwelcome inconvenience for businesses, but hardly an earth-shattering one – most companies now do business globally on some level by trading with the USA or Europe, and banks handle currency exchange within transactions automatically, as anyone who’s ever bought anything on eBay will know. With a fixed exchange rate of 1:1, that process will be essentially invisible.

Pro-Union businesspeople who protest about such things have loud voices in the pro-Union media, but only one vote in the referendum like everyone else. Dr Matt Qvortrup of the Centre for Policy Studies wrote an interesting piece in the Scotsman last week about the folly of trotting out too many millionaire bosses to tell people how to vote, because their interests and views are often at odds with those of normal people, and it would be a difficult card for the No camp to play.

(Dr Qvortrup suggested back in May last year that an independent Scotland could escape any debt obligations, with the UK government being responsible for everything should it choose to play hardball in negotiations. He was proved exactly correct.)

The No campaign has made great play of both the “uncertainty” factor and of divisions within the Yes camp over currency. This latest move, if it comes to pass, would rob it of both of those weapons. A Sterling union is still the most sensible option for both Scotland and the rUK in the short to medium term, but the rUK has far more to lose than Scotland does from ruling it out.

rUK businesses will suffer all the same inconveniences as Scottish ones do, and will blame the UK government for them. (A recent poll showed that UK citizens supported the Scottish Government policy of a currency union by a factor of 6:1.) The rUK will lose North Sea oil’s contribution to the UK’s balance of payments, a serious blow. Scotland, meanwhile, will gain policy freedom and lose debt, while 95% of its people don’t even notice that anything’s changed, because the money in their pockets looks and acts the same as it always did.