Wheaton Terriers

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Neil this is the dog you judged in Tandragee that day,the photo was actually taken that morn.

Always had the kids around the dogs,just like when we were kids ourselves.

just a few photos of the wheatons today   3hours walk while the suns out

Posted Images

And best of luck with them Mick. I love to see someone enjoying their dogs and looking after them.

The last few years the wheaten suffered from the puppy peddler, big time.

It went from a little known breed of Irish working terrier to a must have dog.

What worries me about the wheaten is that there's folk taking them on who know nothing about them.

For instance in your photo those two wheatens tied to the gate close together.

But then again maybe the breed is changing in the same way that many other breeds change when they're not bred the way they were originally.

JMHO and again, enjoy your dogs.

So is that not a dog & bitch tied to the gate in that picture?...a lot of Bull types i've been around will tolerate the opposite sex if they have been raised together

What about the bitches? Any of them ever stand out

Just found this, If you look under named dog "My Tim" you will see his dam was called "Prospect Lass" I'm sure she was a proven bitch, as the men back then wouldn't have used her otherwise. Some well known names of working Wheatens on that list.

http://irishwheaten.com/?p=101

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 6

Unfortunately the wheaten seems to be on a serious decline in working standard.seems to be the next dick extension for some clowns fond of the shillings ,suppose they ruined the staff so move onto the next money spinner

Lads don't forget any dog can be made to quit they ain't robots

What about the bitches? Any of them ever stand out

Just found this, If you look under named dog "My Tim" you will see his dam was called "Prospect Lass" I'm sure she was a proven bitch, as the men back then wouldn't have used her otherwise. Some well known names of working Wheatens on that list.

http://irishwheaten.com/?p=101

There is a few known working dogs in that list....

Fair play for finding that General. A lot of work went into putting that list together.

Always remember with the wheaten that a lot of the old breeders who bred for work first and foremost often had two sets of pedigrees per dog.

One for the KC and one for the working dogman.

• Like 1

LOL, guess.

Up until 1966 the KC ran the trials so a lot of doggy men needed to have their dogs registered to take part.

When the KC dropped the trials trials were continued by the true advocates of the breeds and they probably kept their dogs registered too.

Now it's just my own opinion but a lot of outcrossing was done ie. staff or EBT was put in the wheaten or the wheaten was put in the glen etc. etc. and pedigrees still had to be kept but not ones that the KC would have approved off.

• 4 weeks later...