Wheaton Terriers

Anyone remember the weight pulling one year (one of the last) where 2 dogs pulled equal weight but there was no more building blocks left so a child was put on top.

One dog pulled with the child on top, one didn't.

It was a great show with dog men coming from Cork, Limerick, Wales, England and Holland most years.

They were happy days and never an argument over a ribbon.

Like I say, the wheaten class was just that, class.

I don't think anyone in those days kept a wheaten for anything other than what they were bred for.

Wasnt there that year but mates of mine where there told me about it it was a big talk in the town at the time that was a few years back no wheatens about here no more its a petty always liked to see them work

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Neil this is the dog you judged in Tandragee that day,the photo was actually taken that morn.

Always had the kids around the dogs,just like when we were kids ourselves.

just a few photos of the wheatons today   3hours walk while the suns out

Posted Images

was at a few of the tandragee shows was brought up only 6 miles up the road whole area was a hotbed of strongdogs remember seeing all them pegged out waiting for the mini bus on a sunday morning for a days work with the club right outside my house was only teenager but got to go out with the club a few times happy days remember some being bred with bull blood fella who lived next to us but his wheaton dog over a 3/4 English 1/4 staff bitch kept 2 pups at 9 months old one got out of kennel and got in with the other when he got back from work one dead other a complete mess these were still immature pups just shows what they had in them mate of mine here in England wanted one got him one sent over every time he went on holidays I had her in my kennels no one else would have her she bit 5 people in the same day but what a sweet heart lol

• Like 2

bigging dogs up so to speak as devil dogs and indestructible and unpredictable is never gonna help a breed or type and will always give it the wrong attention,wheatens do need somebody with abit of knowledge about the breed when working them but there not some holygrail dog that only a few can handle and understand thats just silly talk :laugh:

• Like 2

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Neil this is the dog you judged in Tandragee that day,the photo was actually taken that morn.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And after a walk in the country.

I remember him well Danny and I also remember that it took me about 10 minutes to decide between him and another dog as to who to give first place too.

It was an honour to judge so many fine dogs that day.

• Like 1

bigging dogs up so to speak as devil dogs and indestructible and unpredictable is never gonna help a breed or type and will always give it the wrong attention,wheatens do need somebody with abit of knowledge about the breed when working them but there not some holygrail dog that only a few can handle and understand thats just silly talk :laugh:

No harm in telling the truth either.

Look at the mess some other breeds are in because the puppy peddlers are making sure they end up in the wrong hands.

• Like 2

That brings back memories. I have a very good video somewhere of Tandragee.

Even though it's only and an hour and a half up the road from me it used to take me 2 or 3 days to get home, LOL.

That an Irish thing Neil.

It's an Irish thing Liam but sadly it's nearly a thing of the past.

• Like 1

Anyone remember the weight pulling one year (one of the last) where 2 dogs pulled equal weight but there was no more building blocks left so a child was put on top.

It was a great show with dog men coming from Cork, Limerick, Wales, England and Holland most years.

I don't think anyone in those days kept a wheaten for anything other than what they were bred for.

Am I right in thinking Neil you feel their work is best consigned to the past?

Not a dig (excuse pun), just rung a bell from a previous thread

When worked correctly there is absolutely nothing wrong with working the wheaten terrier.

However, IMO, very few know what a wheatens job is (and please lets not start a debate on the WWW.) and those that think they do should not discuss it on the inter-net.

When combined with fools with cameras and egos the strongdog can do more harm to terrierwork than any other aspect.

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 11

Am I right in thinking Neil you feel their work is best consigned to the past?

Not a dig (excuse pun), just rung a bell from a previous thread

When worked correctly there is absolutely nothing wrong with working the wheaten terrier.

However, IMO, very few know what a wheatens job is (and please lets not start a debate on the WWW.) and those that think they do should not discuss it on the inter-net.

When combined with fools with cameras and egos the strongdog can do more harm to terrierwork than any other aspect.

agree on every point Neil

well put

• Like 1