Woodland Lurchers

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always run mine in forestry and woodland. Lost my best bitch just last night, nothing to do with the trees though.   Dont listen to anyone who says dont do it. Just bring the dogs up running that

Cur x ...handy enough at the job..

I have worked a collie x and a collie x deer x grey in Woodland. You need a sensible dog who has been brought up around it and isVERY quick thinking. You also need nerves of steel and the ability t

Posted Images

The best woodland dogs by far i have seen have been colie x's from a line down my way,they just seemed to have the nack.

How much collie is in them ?

I have read a 1/4 c 3/4 g would be best for first timer and lamping, but would they then lose there ruggedness ?

some 3/4 throw really greyhoundy and aren't really my cup of tea, bit more brittle and a bit less wind. if you get a 3/4 which throws more like a racey half bred you've hit gold but its luck of he draw i'm afraid. good half bred is a little light on pace for some jobs, but all in all takes some beating as a knock about, try-anything all round worker. although some folk might say that some of the more difficult traits which some collies can have might be hard for a novice handler to deal with

• Like 1

I always run mine in forestry and woodland. Lost my best bitch just last night, nothing to do with the trees though.

Dont listen to anyone who says dont do it. Just bring the dogs up running that sort of land and you will be fine. Ive ran collie types, pointer blooded collie lurcher, bull cross, and deerhound cross all with perfect results.

The deerhounds up here all run native woodland as well as open hill, and comercial forestry with no more than the usual issues that you face anywhere.

Your dog could die on the easiest and flattest of fields, thats the nature of the game. But Id hate to take a dog that aint used to it, up these hills and forests, folk come up regular and have a go with me, some dogs are ok, some dont do so well, though their owners assure me they are machines back on home turf.

There is one point that I will say that a woodland or cover working lurcher deffinately needs, and thats a great nose. As quarry will be unsighted more than sighted. They need to run cunning, have great feet, stamina and follow their nose at full tilt.

My best bitch was 24''. She could go anywhere her game did, and faster.

Good luck, and good hunting

DnN

I'm sorry to hear about your bitch pal, bet thats a right kicker. A dog around 24-25" sounds a good size to me, what crosses did you find that do the best up on that land ?

I have heard a 1/2 x collie grey can be a bit picky and a 3/4 bred grey would be better, would this then make the dog not as tough and able to run that ground ?

Sorry for the late responses, I dont get online much. To be honest, I can remember saying to various folk that were out with me, that I wished my blue bitch was a few inches taller! But then, would she have been AS good in the cover? The reason I think taller, is better (for me) is simply due to covering rough ground cover like heather and all the rest of the crap that any running dog up here has to run over up here. Ive seen loads of close races through cover, only for the game to pull away on the hill.

I cant say which might be the better cross for you. But deffo think, Toughness, good feet, good nose and perhaps the coat has an influence on you, it does on my choice, nowadays anyway... some of my past dogs have had way too thin a coat and skin, ..

Nothing beats a wirehair for following up after the shot. They do loose a lot in the speed department though. Maybe crossing it with a deerhound, or one of our stags would be a good choice?

ATB

I also have a wirehair, and I agree... they can hunt. And are super tough. And I reckon using a deerhound or staghound sort or (or any proper good lucher sort) over a wirehair would be FAR better, than using a modern UK greyhound as the sighthound component.

DnN

• 2 weeks later...

I have worked a collie x and a collie x deer x grey in Woodland. You need a sensible dog who has been brought up around it and isVERY quick thinking. You also need nerves of steel and the ability to shut your eyes whilst the branches crunch around you..

DSC_0057.jpg

_DSC1338-2.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

_DSC9487.jpg

_DSC1368.jpg

_DSC1359.jpg

_DSC1645.jpg

_DSC1518.jpg

Edited by Keeps
  • Like 5

First cross collie or lab would be a good bet ,best dog I ever had was a first x lab dog a little slow in day but more than made up for in brain and guts and an absolute gem on the lamp never ending stamina and all without a mark also great family dog .Have to get another myself!

i wish the woods here looked like some of these on the pictures, here no coppicing has been done for donkeys years you walk bent in two through most of it and that's only the easy bits :laugh::laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: Same here mate, brambles and growth everywhere. Im sure I scare most game off when I'm walking in :cray:

i wish the woods here looked like some of these on the pictures, here no coppicing has been done for donkeys years you walk bent in two through most of it and that's only the easy bits :laugh::laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: Same here mate, brambles and growth everywhere. Im sure I scare most game off when I'm walking in :cray:

i usually stick to the edges and send the dogs in to work them through :laugh: