Chocolate Pat

exactly, it dunt matter about colour, coat, or f**k all as long as they do the biz, the only reason i asked bout the chocolate pat is when gt her a lad sad to me, nice dog but i haven't seen a good one yet :hmm: and thers always alot of banter about ther just inbred and useless now.

Colour is not an issue but a good harsh coat on a working terrier is important to withstand the weather.I have seen fine coated dogs while tied out at a dig for long periods and they shaking with cold while a terrier with a good coat on it wont feel the cold,same applys while the terrier is working in damp wet conditions,eg,peat earths or land drains can be very wet and often a terrier can be standing to its shoulders in cold water working its quarry so imo a good coat is important.

• Like 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and I'm thinking it doesn't matter what the coats like as long as it grafts ??

breed for work and type will follow and you wont go far wrong , working dogs isnt a beauty pagent

I have four generations of choc and black dogs in my kennels off same line out of v good blood i was lucky to acquire years ago. Theres def no stigma about chocs not working and they all go back to

Posted Images

a good dog can't be a bad colour...un less it yellow. :thumbs:

Yokel

would like to add tho, once a colour becomes fashionable, many a bad dog will be bred to feed the market....blues in bulls, choc in terriers etc...working stock to working stock regardless of fancy names and colours is the only way to breed true representatives of any sporting breed...

yokel.

Colour or looks should be the last thing on a decent dog mans mind, once you start trying to create a looker, it usually goes down hill from then on.

Looks only count in the show ring.

they look like they do for a reason and a show ring is not the reason more the conformation of conformity, personally i have never entered a dog in a show but when i have bred, i have done to achieve a type to suit the work its required to undertake, that's all shows are for and the crack.

Colour or looks should be the last thing on a decent dog mans mind, once you start trying to create a looker, it usually goes down hill from then on.

they look like they do for a reason and a show ring is not the reason more the conformation of conformity, personally i have never entered a dog in a show but when i have bred, i have done to achieve a type to suit the work its required to undertake, that's all shows are for and the crack.

Imo good conformation means very little when it comes to working terriers, it's always nice to see a smart terrier that can work to a high standard but from my experience there as rare has hens teeth.

I've been lucky enough to see hundreds of dogs from all sorts of strains work over the years but the best I've seen wouldn't even be worth trying to win a rosette with.

Heart and determination come before conformation with me, and I'm talking about regular work with multiple digs in the day not just putting a good show on once a month.

• Like 1

Imo good conformation means very little when it comes to working terriers, it's always nice to see a smart terrier that can work to a high standard but from my experience there as rare has hens teeth.

I've been lucky enough to see hundreds of dogs from all sorts of strains work over the years but the best I've seen wouldn't even be worth trying to win a rosette with.

Heart and determination come before conformation with me, and I'm talking about regular work with multiple digs in the day not just putting a good show on once a month.

there what gave it the attributes that make it a terrier without this it would just be a dog :laugh:

Exactly, Each to there own in terms of looks and even working style although someone may have a dog that is a 100% and will go to ground and stay its style may not suit the next mans needs, e.g a hard dog that may only be able to have one dig a day will not suit a man that needs a dog to do 3 or 4, so as i say each to ther own in all aspects of the job

• Like 1

exactly, it dunt matter about colour, coat, or f**k all as long as they do the biz, the only reason i asked bout the chocolate pat is when gt her a lad sad to me, nice dog but i haven't seen a good one yet :hmm: and thers always alot of banter about ther just inbred and useless now.

Colour is not an issue but a good harsh coat on a working terrier is important to withstand the weather.I have seen fine coated dogs while tied out at a dig for long periods and they shaking with cold while a terrier with a good coat on it wont feel the cold,same applys while the terrier is working in damp wet conditions,eg,peat earths or land drains can be very wet and often a terrier can be standing to its shoulders in cold water working its quarry so imo a good coat is important.

I have to agree seen it happen a few times, a good harsh dense coat a must in a working terrier. what ever the colour

The name Terrier means a multitude of things and can be split into hundreds of categories.

Genuine working terriers come in all shapes and sizes and should be graded on there work not there looks.

the word terrier means "belonging to the earth" in old medieval Latin or terrārius of the land, a terrier is a terrier but its the attributes/conformity to a type that characterise each name whether that be a patterdale or a pitbull

I think people take comformation or shape into account more than they think. You can have a dog with the heart of a lion,but if he is too big for the earths you are doing then he will struggle so you wont ever know his true potential. When you come to breed most people will automatically be looking to reduce size and select small types from his litters. This is common sense. Its not about showing,its about having the heart in the right shape of dog so he can do his best. Has for colour Ive heard all the macho talk before but everyone has colours they like. Humans naturally judge most things with the eye first having very poor noses (could be a good joke there),everything from women to food on a plate. Not many adverts for dogs dont mention colour. Why do people put pictures of there dogs on this forum if they think the look of there dogs is worthless. Humans cant help being lead to a certain extent by looks because its our nature.

I have four generations of choc and black dogs in my kennels off same line out of v good blood i was lucky to acquire years ago. Theres def no stigma about chocs not working and they all go back to the first bitch i was given who was choc so theres no stigma about them not throwing decent pups either. Theres alot of pricks on this who just like to just sit behind a computer screen starting rumours and fights while decent dogmen are out actually working there terriers. ATB

• Like 2

If were truthful we're all guilty of using the " looks" of a terrier in our judgements and for me this can be a massive mistake ! The reason I think it can be a mistake is , everyone has different opinions on what a dog should "look" like you only have to go to a show to realise its just one mans opinion ! Yet were all agreed to a certain degree what a good worker should "work" like ! How many times I've heard men that want to breed a litter say " nah head to small to long in the barrel or legs not straight enough " when the dog should be judged on working ability not its looks/conformation !! Again jmho lol.

The name Terrier means a multitude of things and can be split into hundreds of categories.

Genuine working terriers come in all shapes and sizes and should be graded on there work not there looks.

the word terrier means "belonging to the earth" in old medieval Latin or [/size]terrārius of the land, a terrier is a terrier but its the attributes/conformity to a type that characterise each name whether that be a patterdale or a pitbull
Well I seem to have misplaced my Latin dictionary somewhere, so I'll give you that one but like I said before looks mean fuckall unless your showing.

If I had to choose between an ugly c**t or a very smart one with all the correct conformation I'd pick the ugly c**t every time because you can bet your life that smart one hasn't been bread purely on the basis of working ability, somewhere down the line there's some show shite involved.