Kenneling Bitch After She's Been Brought Up In The House?

Ok so my pup is nearing 10 months and she's lived in the house since 8 weeks, she hasn't experienced any other way of life, never been kennelled etc etc. when I bought the pup home my grandparents (who live with us) agreed to obide by the rules that I stated I wanted to be followed with regards to the way my pup was to be treated, well basically It turns out that they aren't being quite as cooperative as I'd hope and I now want her out of the house and in a kennel so that she cannot be interfered with whilst I'm at work.

What's are your oppinions on kenneling a dog after it's been bought up in a nice warm house? Are there any obvious issues that I should be aware of and what's the best way of going about making the transition from house to kennel.

Any help would be appreciated

ATB

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly can your grandparents do that would be in any way detrimental to your dog ?. Or are you thinking your dog will be soft due to getting it's ears rubbed etc, or perhaps you think your dog

Malt, I was gonna post similar mate on my first reply but I thought na, for once don't be a c**t and give him some advice but I seriously thought the same mate. I can't for the love of me think what

FFS the fella was just asking a question on kenneling his dog after it being inside for 10 months. Why people can't just answer people's questions instead of jumping to conclusions and passing judgmen

Put it in a kennel, raised bed to avoid damp and cold, some sort of heater or heat lamp in there for the colder times of year.
With regards to it barking/whining on, I know this isn't most peoples preference but I used static anti-bark collars off ebay. Totally humane and stopped my dogs making noise every morning within a week, tried all sorts at first to stop them but this was the last option and it worked a treat.

Good luck with the bitch, hope she settles outside fine

How good do you know your neighbours?

He's hit the nail on the head Matt, she's gonna howl like nothing on earth at first but she should hopefully settle down. It's just whether your neighbours are the understanding type, or even better deaf would be ideal. Saying that are you just on about leaving her in there during the day and bringing her in at night. In which case most people should be at work whilst she's going at it I suppose. :thumbs:

• Like 1

If it were me, I'd do it at the weekend, when your about to hear her. Take her an extra big walk in the morning, give her a big juicy bone and leave her to see what happens. If she's howling, go up, reassure her, sit for 5 till she's calmed and go back in the house. See how it goes, if she's really bad, it's gonna take some patience on your part but I'd definitely be looking at knackering her out in the morning.

• Like 1

If it were me, I'd do it at the weekend, when your about to hear her. Take her an extra big walk in the morning, give her a big juicy bone and leave her to see what happens. If she's howling, go up, reassure her, sit for 5 till she's calmed and go back in the house. See how it goes, if she's really bad, it's gonna take some patience on your part but I'd definitely be looking at knackering her out in the morning.

thing with this is though the dog will soon click that you come out when she howls better off just laving her

thing with this is though the dog will soon click that you come out when she howls better off just laving her

It all depends on the neighbours, they're the ones who'll let you know if leaving her to howl is best ;)

FFS, fancy giving your own grandparents rules to live by.. What they doing, spoiling your dog? :doh: Just be glad you've still got them, you will be able to replace your dog when it goes, you wont be able to replace your grandparents.. Or move out and get your own place, then you can set all the rules you want to.. If your dog is used to being round them and in their company all day you're going to have trouble putting it outside IMO..