Imported Jagdterriers

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With all due respect foxdropper..... I'll agree that they MIGHT not be any better for you than a terrier you have that is already doing everything you need it to.... But show me a terrier of any other

Turns out I do know a little bit about these dogs. A friend of mine bred the sire of this litter and owned the sire of both the dog and the bitch, named Vuk Phillip who was a son of Astor Asstraata. T

Sometimes people just want to see what the fuss is all about.....I was fortunate in that, I was able to hunt with a few jagds prior to even knowing what they were. I was impressed with not only the le

I would like a jagd one day, read loads about them and think they sound very interesting and exciting little dogs. Hopefully we will see more of them over here and doing well in the future which hopefully will bring the cost down to. It would be nice to see some posts and pics of them working over here but given the small minded, keep it British brigade on here I wouldn't blame em for keeping shtum!

cant understand why ANYBODY who is serious into working there terriers would pay 800 for a jadg when they could get a good black dog in this country for a fraction of the price! the only possible reason is to breed and make £££££££ :yes:

Out of curiosity where on earth do you get a good black dog for a fraction of the price find it near impossible to get a well bred pup
  • Like 2

cant understand why ANYBODY who is serious into working there terriers would pay 800 for a jadg when they could get a good black dog in this country for a fraction of the price! the only possible reason is to breed and make £££££££ :yes:

Out of curiosity where on earth do you get a good black dog for a fraction of the price find it near impossible to get a well bred pup

I have been lucky and never had to buy dogs,but if i wanted one of these German dogs I would not consider 800 to much money.If good black dogs are that plentiful(they are not)why are people looking for working dogs on here all the time?There is a lot more shit black dogs than good ones.If I wanted an outcross i would have no hesitation putting a good Jadg into a line of blacks or Lakeland.

• Like 5

sumone told me the jagds dont cross well with pats said hes done it a few times and never been happy and sumone else told me they cross really well with lakelands mayebe its cos they got lakeland in ther make up,,dose anyone no ther full make up? ive been told foxterrier bull terrier and lakeland terrier all kc types dunno how true it is whuld be good to no the truth

http://www.easypetmd.com/doginfo/deutscher-jagdterrier

found that plenty mention of fox terrier and a imported british terrier and also that theyctried lakey but it never worked lol

Edited by Tommy pepper

I have been lucky and never had to buy dogs,but if i wanted one of these German dogs I would not consider 800 to much money.If good black dogs are that plentiful(they are not)why are people looking for working dogs on here all the time?There is a lot more shit black dogs than good ones.If I wanted an outcross i would have no hesitation putting a good Jadg into a line of blacks or Lakeland.

That's a cross my buddy Mosby seems to like allot..... I've heard of several people who had good luck with it. There's a few people here who I'd like to have a beer with....Mr. liamdelaney sir..... you top the list.

• Like 2

sumone told me the jagds dont cross well with pats said hes done it a few times and never been happy and sumone else told me they cross really well with lakelands mayebe its cos they got lakeland in ther make up,,dose anyone no ther full make up? ive been told foxterrier bull terrier and lakeland terrier all kc types dunno how true it is whuld be good to no the truth

found that plenty mention of fox terrier and a imported british terrier and also that theyctried lakey but it never worked lol

The dogs were bred by the Germans from mostly British dogs, Lakelands and Black and Tans.I don't believe for one minute that they do not cross well with black dogs but they do with Lakelands,a good dog, is a good dog regardless of what breed he is,they are all basically all dogs.I have never seen one of these dogs in the flesh,but they are been used a lot by hunters who have a lot more experience in hunting than we have in Ireland or the British Isles.Most people over this part of the World have dug fox,or hunted them above ground.The hunters of America and the other Country's have such a diverse bag of game to choose from,Coon,Coyote,fox,badger,boar,Mountain lion to name but a few,and they use these little dogs and are happy with them(otherwise they would not use them).Jawn sitting down for a beer would be a nice way to shoot the breeze(as ye say)about dogs,but one warning I am well able to drink,but my hunting story's get bigger by the amount of hooch I drink.

i have black ones borders and jagds in my kennels the jagds are the best ones for me but have seen patterdales that work better than my jagds below ground. if your only doing earthwork you are better off with pats, much calmer in your garden. jagds will get crazy when you dont feed them enough work. but dont think any other terrier can do what a jagd can above ground.

but if you really want one i think from the astraata line are great dogs and including shipping i think its a fair price.

the only problem is when hunting the overly hard dogs above ground on boar and they go to ground on badger you will lose them pretty soon..

jawn, i have a young male out of zep alluminium now how are yours doing?

Edited by Jachtterrier

In this day and age most dogs are only bred to vaguely resemble their working ancestors. Fewer and fewer people actually hunt each year... so it only follows that fewer dogs are bred for that purpose.

Oddly enough people who've never hunted with a dog in their lives find reasons to breed them. Some will go on about how well suited their dogs are for work.... others take pride in the fact that the breed they fell in love with, but had no need for, will no longer be used for it's intended purpose, as if it was their mission to rescue a working breed from the work it was created to do.

The best terriers have always... and will always be defined by their work. Finding the right one will have more to do with who you get it from than what breed you call it.

@Jachtterrier.... Zep is doing a great. He's very much like his litter brother Zulu and half brother Atak. He does what's asked of him which isn't surprising. This line of dogs is my favorite. Which female is your dog out of Lara v. Zeiler Klinge or Lola?

@Liam....Tall tales make the beers go down quicker. Nothing wrong with that in my book.:)

• Like 2

The thing is though as already has been said ,if someone buys a jagd at that price and it dosnt work theyed be plenty who would just breed from it to make some money because of time and effort put in,as i said on another thread about jagds i spoke through this site to Gregd before he passed away,he give me an e-mail address of the breeder where his dogs came from,but after looking into it i decided not to import one,the reason simply is if the dog did not work it would have to go and it wouldnt have been going to anyone else,im not ashamed to admit that i couldnt afford to lose that sort of money and if that makes me riff raff so be it.

I just hope if the breed does come over here and end up in working lads yards that they do use them and not in the yards of puppy peddlars

• Like 2

Lakieman, same as liam i have never had to buy a terrier and hopefully never will! I have a couple of good mates and we breed and keep the same line and pups are given out between us. If your not as lucky as i am and cant get a decent black dog off a mate you should still be able to buy one of good working background if you do your homework and aren't a messer :thumbs: And liam i always like to read your posts but id never even consider putting a jadg, lakeland, border or any other dog to any of my dogs and never will as we have plenty of good stock in this country and dont need pricey imports that will be peddled imo

Think it comes down to a matter of standards, what one man thinks is a good dog another wouldn't waste his breath with, 800 euro per pup means less people will buy, less chance of the dog been bred just for money if the pups struggle to sell due to price...good and bad to that, less proper working dogs bred and more chance of losing this breed to the shows :/... Fingers crossed that the working lines that do get bred are from serious terrier men than won't breed just for the sake of it...