Imported Jagdterriers

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With all due respect foxdropper..... I'll agree that they MIGHT not be any better for you than a terrier you have that is already doing everything you need it to.... But show me a terrier of any other

Turns out I do know a little bit about these dogs. A friend of mine bred the sire of this litter and owned the sire of both the dog and the bitch, named Vuk Phillip who was a son of Astor Asstraata. T

Sometimes people just want to see what the fuss is all about.....I was fortunate in that, I was able to hunt with a few jagds prior to even knowing what they were. I was impressed with not only the le

Thanks for the questions and interest guys. I offer no opinion as to whether these dogs are any better or worse than current British terrier breeds.

For a bit of background, these animals are owned by a gentleman who lives in Eastern Europe. In that region, it is impossible to deny permission to hunt on your land (by law). Similar to the German hunting regime, if anyone is familiar with it, the country is divided up into hunting clubs which then manage the hunting in their area. If you are a member of the hunt club you have carte blanche to dig within your hunting area.

These dogs are worked regularly and completely legally to fox and badger below ground, and to wild boar during driven hunts above ground.

These dogs are pedigree registered dogs. Pedigree dogs are not cheap. Pieces of paper may not matter to a lot of people, but on the continent they are considered very important within certain circles. On the continent, a pedigree Parson Russell will set you back £850, before any import costs are applied.

Importing dogs is not cheap. Neither is it easy. This also adds to the cost.

As to the worth of the dogs, only the individual paying the money can decide that. I am not forcing anyone to do anything. However, there has been a considerable amount of interest in jagdterriers on this board in the past. Given this, and my connections to the continent, I thought that I would share this opportunity with fellow members. I also have experience of importing dogs from the continent, and am prepared to offer my assistance to anyone wishing to do so.

Ug

I've hunted quite a few dogs from this line off of various sires and out of several dams..... The percentage of workers was very high and the pups had to be restrained from entering on their own at an early age and given time to mature. They aren't however right for everyone. Most could be hunted once on coon and would spend the next several weeks recovering. Some are rough mixers.... and some are genuinely hard dogs that are silent once the game is anchored. Last month we had a fifteen month old Hungarian jagd from similar lines stay to ground and to task for twenty five hours. They are no different than any other type of working terrier in that there is good and bad in every breed and within every line...Anyone with a working brain knows that a man rarely if ever gets a guarantee....In my experience the price would be considered a very good deal considering unlacedgecko has included all necessary documentation and the price of importing the dog. Those of you who are satisfied with what you have and not feeling the need to try something new probably shouldn't. This is my hype free experience with the line. Asstraata dogs are the real deal.

• Like 6

maybe the price cuts out a lot of the messers?

they could get an Xbox 500Gb for £500 and have money let over for games

if you have decent dogs about you already, why pay £650 for a pup? :laugh: and i'm sure most lads have mates with dogs they have seen work and know they are well proven to breed/have a pup off? i just dont see they point to be honest!

I've got mates in Croatia and there desperate for patterdales as there is none there, but the guy wants the really bully stuff, lol

There's a reason for that.... The Croatian club breeds German dogs known for field work. I've had several dogs from Stipo Vrtaric arguably the best breeder and trainer in that country and they were fantastic dogs and did what they were bred to do. Most of these dogs are worked to ground to bolt fox..... and are bred to German standard. They aren't generally hard dogs.

I think it's just personal choice, like the difference between men who like fells or Russell's or borders etc, I don't think anyone thinks their getting something better, just an alternative.......

As for peddling pups, someone will do it, just as black dogs & smart lakie types have been peddled beyond belief for the last twenty years in the uk, by breeders we all know well.............when they start getting classes at the game fairs & picking up a few ribbons, sit back & watch the real peddling begin.....lol

I'm sure there are plenty of genuine lads who want to test them & why not?

• Like 3

Jagds range between 33 and 40 cm at the withers.... Hungarian dogs are typically mid to lower end of the spectrum. But Astor Asstraata was a 40 cm dog who produced plenty of the same.

Steaminggutpiles and I had a litter of Croatian dogs off of Stipo's best dog and ended up having to cull every one. So I have to amend the previous statement to include these crappers.

The Asstraata dogs are a different story.... they tend to be pretty predictable.:)