Which Altberg Boots?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Leather is not weatherproof. Hide, when attached to its original owner is. Leather is dead skin, which unless cared for will absorb water. Goretex is there as a safety net for when dead skin soaks up

Ive just got the gamekeepers so far so good

B.P.R will be along soon hell explain them all to you .(if you buy a game carrier)

• 2 weeks later...

I wear boots everyday... and wear them in all weathers...all over the UK....

And have never had wet feet...

Goretex cant work properly under a layer of leather...

It repels the water away and cant do that in boots...

Its a marketing game by gore to get their products into everything...

And add a few quid ontop....

Ask yourself this...

If goretex lined boots was the be all...and end all... of boots....

Then why do they still sell the leather ones? ....

Companies would just make goretex boots and be done with it... they would make more money by selling them alone...

They stopped using steam engines when petrol/electricity power was available....

Sorry BPR, you seem a canny lad like and I know you are in the army but that's pish mate........I have been f***ing about in boots since I was a kid (30+ years), pre gortex popularity, have owned just about every type of issue boot there is to own and I was absolutely OCD about cleaning and dubbing.........I never owned a single pair that my feet were not wet within minutes of getting into any type of real moisture

In this day and age there is absolutely no reason or logic to having cold, wet and water damaged feet for hobby users of boots.

If you are saying you are using standard leather issue type boots and cutting about on Moreland in wet weather and your feet are staying dry and warm then I am afraid I don't personally believe you pal

Thats upto you mate....

Ive see guys whos feet are soaking from the inside out wearing goretex boots... absolutley pish wet through.....

And once theyre wet... theyre wet...

I cant say...honestly... that ive had wet feet... maybe a bit of dampness... but certainly not soaking wet...

I wear altbergs or lowas.... always have.... so maybe these are better in wet conditions? ..

I really do think goretex is a marketing gimmick..

Great for jackets... not for boots...

Its your money.... you can spend it on what you like pal...i only give my opinions...

Edited by B.P.R

With the breathability of Gortex, I believe its a micropore fabric and once the fabric gets blocked by dirt etc, its breathability suffers to the point that its not breathable anymore. This is ok with jackets you can wash them but the lining in boots would be difficult to clean. There are alternatives to Gortex but Gortex has the vast market share as most of the big companies licence them. Edited to say that I am no expert :laugh:

• Like 1

when the army went from the dms boot[were wet feet was the norm] to the gortex pro boot ,did they fall for the gortex marketing ? ,no , it dramatically improved things. fairplay tho bpr if you have tested your boots to the max , you know , cos nobody likes wet feet . I think the altberg ,lowa ,hawag etc uses higher grade leather ,so prob alotmore waterproof than alot of boots . ive always worn the lowa or hanwag gortex , and have always been ok . but iwould be interested totry the nongortex versions tosee .

If your talking about military boots.... then aye.... the standard issue G10'S would and do leak... your sure to have wet feet with them... as you are with jungle boots...

The goretex issue pro boots....arent bad at all... ive wore them... but didnt like them... i know lads that do...

I think afghanistan has been a tremendous learning curve for kit let alone boots...

We got issued the goretex pro-boots for a winter tour... but we soon reverted back to the desert lowa/altberg... as once your feet got wet going the the shiit and piss streams and wadi's... you just couldnt dry them out....

The deserts would get wet... and be dry the next day...

I think the military has cottoned on to the fact that boots...and good ones at that.... are vital and thus are supplying better quality as standard issue and not for operational tours only...

Im happy with the non goretex ones... ive a pair of altbergs here... had a few month... never been polished...only wore them a few times...after this thread... i filled them with tissue..and soaked them for 90mins in water... the tissue was bone dry...as i expected...

Better quality leather? .... must be... but its not just this pair...

The lowas ive had were dry too... the other altbergs...

Each to their own...

But for me... the goretex boots are more hassle than theyre worth :thumbs: ....

Hello All,

I have a pair of Lundhags Scout boots, now called Forest, they are fantastic boots, hand made in Sweden and worth every penny of the cost.

I have gone through a whole shooting/beating season in the wet and not leaked once, no tex liners, they are light and comfortable, absolute quality.

I agree with WILF, look after your boots and they will look after you..!!

John...