Late Starters

Hello has anyone ever had a bushing terrier that was late to start, not entered late just took time to become reliable. the one i have at the moment just does not seem to be getting any better even though she has pegged a few rabbits in the cover it seems of late she is hardly ever in the cover unlike the summer when i would take her out she seemed to be improving steadily but this last month or so she has started to become less interested instead of keener. I know she does not mind cover because some days she would fly through it when she was on a scent. I know dogs can have bad days but of late that seems to be most days 4 mine atb daywalker.

• Like 1

As a dog becomes more experienced I find they enter only when the need arises,youngsters have an habit of crashing about regardless.If a dog is encouraged to enter on the owners bequest it will confuse a dog and put it off entering.Id look for places that ive seen bunny,s enter and then let the mutt have free rein,with no encouragement,if it then refuses to enter id work it with a more experienced mutt until its confidence returns,if the dog does,nt want it,it just does,nt want it.

Are you sure there is something in there to make her want to enter?

My lot don't tend to bother working cover unless they have a hunch there is something in there, be that due to experience, scent etc.

• Like 3

Thanks 4 the replys fellas, took her out yesterday and today and she started getting her nose down again and she managed to flush a few bunnnys from the cover and a muntjac aswell. What i really need is to get her out with some other dogs that know what they are doing, since iv'e had her i have only ever taken her out on her own.atb daywalker.

Are you sure there is something in there to make her want to enter?

My lot don't tend to bother working cover unless they have a hunch there is something in there, be that due to experience, scent etc.

if a dog is wrong side of wind or doesnt wind fox/ rabbit on his side of hedge he will pass it.i always like dog in cover searching for scent not walking a long on outside waiting till they get a blow. ive seen dogs in both cases the dog in ditch more often finds way more regularly.ive also seen dogs on outside hunt brilliant once fox is found and started for them. imo its vital to have a dog in hedge/cover constantly. jmo.

p.s if they dont find him they can't hunt him thats why I like dog in searching the whole time. .

Edited by turkish
  • Like 1

Each to their own mate. And that's what I require of the springers. And if doing a bit of rabbiting then pushing every bit of cover is worth it. But a lot of what we do itd just take too long. And it's more about tracking the quarry to the cover its in and then evicting it.

Hedges are obviously a bit different, if you are working a hedge, the dog pushes down it.

Throw her in the cover.................Only joking, best dog I ever had took 2 years to start then I have one now who is 5 months old and flying. I guess they all develop at different rates. But as several people have said make sure there is game there, they cant hunt whats not there. If you know anyone into gundogs ask them for ten minutes in their rabbit pen. That usually works

• Like 1