Terrier Size

i think same as wm when the dogs corkscrewd up as close as it can be and cant move aswell as the lack of air the quarry has free reign to dish out as much punishment as it sees fit while the dog can do nothing atall we have also dug big sets were i chuld of crawled down the entrance holes but when we broke threw they been small and tight tubes and vica verca small entrances and broke threw to a cave i think a happy medium is needed for a allrounder not to big not to small not to hard not to soft

Edited by Tommy pepper
  • Like 2

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been done to death this one..same old answers as well..Favourite one being if it wants to it will ..Right... It Wont get up to a fox in a tight chalk place or a tight rock place or a small drain or a

Wanting to get there helps but wanting isn't enough a lot of the time. Only a idiot would put up with waiting say 2 hrs before there big dog get up close. A useable fox dog should be easily spannable.

a foxhound lol

A terrier that is going to work fox should be spannable , end of . In pre ban days when i went out with the hunt , you might have 20 or thirty followers waiting impatiently for a bolt or a result , no time to wait for a big dog with "lots of heart" to get there .

It does piss me off a bit when i go to terrier shows and see these white lakelands in the russel class , clearly not spannable . winning !!! Thank god most terrier men worthy of the name breed for performance , and not show success .

• Like 1

i have some bigger harder dogs in my kennels just because i like them. but in the end here in holland only the smaller ones get enough work. one of my smaller ones is 17 " in the chest but strugles to get there sometimes, my smallest one is 15 " in the chest and will fit in almost in al places. when having the small one a collar on im not going to change it to my bigger dog because i found a bigger set.

I've been on many rescue digs and most were to large dogs stuck like a cork, the danger is if they are close to their quarry in a stop end or collapse is that they use all the air between them up very quickly, nothing worse than digging to a suffocated dead dog when a smaller dog would of flown round, so think on you lads that think size doesn't matter, WM

Had exact same happen to me .

I've been on many rescue digs and most were to large dogs stuck like a cork, the danger is if they are close to their quarry in a stop end or collapse is that they use all the air between them up very quickly, nothing worse than digging to a suffocated dead dog when a smaller dog would of flown round, so think on you lads that think size doesn't matter, WM

Had exact same happen to me .

i think we ve all been in this situation at one time or another , but as ive said before its horses for causes you keep dogs to suit your ground around me alot of earths the tubes are huge but we have some normal size one s , for me i like a strong dog of around 13--14 in but most serious diggin lads have more than one spanner in there toolbox

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

even big (8kg) foxes have very slim chests and will fit anywhere that their head goes thru- i skin my foxes (winterfox in the alps) do that and you´ll see- big hard dogs get a lot of damage - not because their so brave but because they can not move to and fro in a tight place- like klitschko in a toilet in china facing a slim shaolin-if there s no place for his strenght to get applied, he will have to take a lot of hits!

• Like 2