Does Anyone Work Whippets

Err ehh I don't think that's ever been done before ....... What brought that into your head pal ??

just ive seen a few posts and replies on here and poeple have said there not strong enough of wouldent be my 1st choice.... was just wondering why that was and if anybody was a fan of working pure whippets...pros/cons ... thanks

Err ehh I don't think that's ever been done before ....... What brought that into your head pal ??

just ive seen a few posts and replies on here and poeple have said there not strong enough of wouldent be my 1st choice.... was just wondering why that was and if anybody was a fan of working pure whippets...pros/cons ... thanks

You'll get the majority of people on here who've never owned, or even seen, a purebred whippet working, slag them off, 'shit feet, shit stamina, too fragile, not game enough, too game for their own good, etc etc, the list is endless, and there are people on here who do work them and know that they're a great versatile dog that's always ready for a day or night out and will always try their best. Given their size, or lack of it, you've got to keep common sense in mind as to what you'd run em on, eg not slip one on a red deer etc :thumbs:

The only downside for me is their height...or lack of it. In rough fields filled with cover crops of juncas rush they cannot see the hidden reflecting eyes a taller dog might, and can lose prey mid chase in it. But they have a great nose and will give their all to try and find it again.

The only downside for me is their height...or lack of it. In rough fields filled with cover crops of juncas rush they cannot see the hidden reflecting eyes a taller dog might, and can lose prey mid chase in it. But they have a great nose and will give their all to try and find it again.

Very true but 1 of my whippet x is more whippet in type I pick up and when she sees eyes I drop her works well and she smashed through cover

I have three whippets, all kc reg and they are great litter dogs.

My best is Murphy, he is a race bred whippet from wrca evansent and is us really quick. Turns quicker than both my coursing bred whippets and is the best all round whippet I have. He is not quick enough to be a champion but when I did race him he was a great club dog.

I thought whippets would be better than lurches on rabbits but to be honest my lurcher catches far more (coursing bred) rabbits when out lamping.

The whippets are great fun and I think I will always have at least one in the house but if I had to pick one all round dog it would db the lurcher.

My friend had three really top class racers and travels all over the uk racing in the summer and we work in the winter. They are all great little rabbiting dogs and magic to watch but again couldn't match my lurcher.

Not that my lurcher is anything special, she just a decent working lurcher.

• Like 3