Hunting Deer.

Ideation

I was wondering whether before the ban, anyone on here did much hunting of deer in the day, with a small pack, or bushing dogs etc?

Obviously I know that plenty hunted them up with lurchers during the day, and drove woods out to the runners. . . . . . but in the bigger places, did anyone ever hound them about or similar???

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Roe will run in big loops, bit like a hare, but may cross water etc, you would never bay up a roe, they run till they drop dizzy, and once you are used to certain areas, you and the dogs learn the usu

Around my area you could break wind and push Roe about,Fallow are restricted to the land they live in and will cross a river as easily as a meadow,any decent busher will soon come to terms with what t

3\4 grey 1\4 bull works well on deer.

Posted Images

I was wondering whether before the ban, anyone on here did much hunting of deer in the day, with a small pack, or bushing dogs etc?

Obviously I know that plenty hunted them up with lurchers during the day, and drove woods out to the runners. . . . . . but in the bigger places, did anyone ever hound them about or similar???

Seen 2 good harrier type hounds die after hunting deer well into the night in a big estate.We were pushing fox out to guns and lurchers in a big cover beside a big estate that held a lot of fallow deer.The day was goin well with 6-7 foxs accounted for but then 2 of the senior hounds from the pack broke from the rest and crossed the road and got into the estate and were away.This was about 4pm on a winters eve and we could hear them hunting hard from a vantage point we had drove to while the other lads were gathering up the rest of the pack.Soon darkness came and though we tried to get in front a few times it was not to be as we were met by different obstackles,rivers and so on.We got the 1st of the hounds at around 3.30 am and the 2nd about an hour later.They were dead on there feet and we took them home put them in there kennell,fed and watered and thought no more of it,next morning both were dead,chap that owned them reckons it was heart failure from over exaustion.

the way we use to do it was with bushing dogs , slow dogs that wouldnt put to much pressure on them , fallow mostly in patchs of forestery they wouldnt panic just go around in circles good viewing & tounge wouldnt catch much , the few we caught would usually do something stupid as they do .

• Like 1

They do run a long way if there is nothing to stop them. Do you have much trouble with hounds rioting on deer, there seems to be something about their scent . . .

We,re having awful trouble at moment. I hunt with pack of harriers and deer are giving us lots a hassle.

give me a shout and I will try to sort it out for you.lol

Edited by the scudd

Roe will run in big loops, bit like a hare, but may cross water etc, you would never bay up a roe, they run till they drop dizzy, and once you are used to certain areas, you and the dogs learn the usual circuits they take from cover, and if hounds stay on them they circle back eventually.

Years ago it took up lots of my time.

Red deer run miles, and will eventually bay up, they often enter water, and often the deer will head for water to loose the hounds, they glide over the shittiest land and are very strong with good stamina... Fallow are similar to reds in that they will take you miles away, but they are deffo less keen on water than the reds..

• Like 4

Around my area you could break wind and push Roe about,Fallow are restricted to the land they live in and will cross a river as easily as a meadow,any decent busher will soon come to terms with what the land holds and work out how best to pursue their interest,if the need ever arose?,any half decent busher will put venison in front of the gun given the opportunity,hopefully.

• Like 2