Where Are They.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The few that remain by me hide in the woods and I hope they stay there instead of out on the fields to be caught and dumped in a gateway by the bell ends that visit here.

I've heard from two different shooting lads that have seen around six hundred hares shot in one day on a couple of recent shoots, I wonder how many years the waterloo cup would take to match a tally l

lots getting netted here for the coursing. plus them buzzards are putting some dent in them.

The elusive Hare. really struggling to see any which is very hard to believe on my permission

As a few lads can verify. Now im not going without dont get me wrong. Lol

I thought this summer would have been a real good breeding year.

How is all you other hare spotters getting on?

I think everybody struggles september .October. because of the land being worked. Ect ect.

But as a norm by late November December im seeing plenty.

Its lifting with um where am going snoop but what's permission :D

good clip , but wont be seen often , an cant see them taking hares often as there feet talons arnt designed for hares or rabbits ,,,fully grown hares rabbits that is

I do agree with you their but if a hare gets swooped on a few times out on the fields it stands to reason that the hare will then stay in the safety of cover in woods and the likes and a lot of the shoots have folded now so they are not getting pushed back out in the field , with the amount of buzzards about now bet they get swooped on regular .

http://youtu.be/5Uc4pqNw7_Q

Edited by chester
  • Like 1

Bout all your average Buzzard will do to a grown hare is piss it off, the clip shows that. Leverets 'may' be different but most are tucked well away when small and anyways, the areas where I once seen hares constantly out there are few, if any, buzzards.

Their main predator is us, like it or lump it and whether we shoot 'em in droves or kill 'em with dog and hawk it will take it's toll on numbers.

Do you believe that the number of lads out after them, almost constantly, don't make a difference? Most hares round here are lucky to see October, never mind Christmas in their first year..!! :no:

I don't believe that that is all that is happening though, disturbance is a massive factor, constant daily disturbance from the countryside being constantly opened up to the masses. People simply out and about, over land that was once never walked upon except by those who either owned or worked it.

These days, in places that would be simply basic farmland 10 years ago, now has folk striding about, Hunter wellies on, golden retriever (or lurcher!) at their side, enjoying, as they are fed to do by the media, the wide open countryside... Springwatch, Countryfile and the rest of that 'drivel' have a lot to answer for... It's this that is driving them 'in'.... :yes:

I see loads round my bit when am out on the lamp

my keeper so 42 in one field on the lamp.i walked it two days later and got one retrieve.

They are there.but where is the question.

I know a place with a similar picture Snoop, drive through at night and we'll stop counting as there are too many either side of the vehicle, walk it by day and you'd be doing well if you seen one or two!

What i've noticed over the past few years, this year especially, is how much hares are sitting in woodland by day, rather than out in open ground. In areas that always had them well out all day, I now watch 'em start moving by dusk, out from heavy covered woodland, sometimes over two or more fields, to get to night feeding specks.

My theory is, as the hare is native and as we once were a heavily forested isle and the brown hare was a forest dweller. The clearing of the forest and new farming brought the hare onto open ground, were, with its speed coped very well over the past few hundred years. Now with constant persecution and disturbance in some areas, they are simply going back to their woodland roots... :hmm:

;)

I'm not sure the brown hare is indigenous to britain....

I see loads round my bit when am out on the lamp

my keeper so 42 in one field on the lamp.i walked it two days later and got one retrieve.

They are there.but where is the question.

I know a place with a similar picture Snoop, drive through at night and we'll stop counting as there are too many either side of the vehicle, walk it by day and you'd be doing well if you seen one or two!

What i've noticed over the past few years, this year especially, is how much hares are sitting in woodland by day, rather than out in open ground. In areas that always had them well out all day, I now watch 'em start moving by dusk, out from heavy covered woodland, sometimes over two or more fields, to get to night feeding specks.

My theory is, as the hare is native and as we once were a heavily forested isle and the brown hare was a forest dweller. The clearing of the forest and new farming brought the hare onto open ground, were, with its speed coped very well over the past few hundred years. Now with constant persecution and disturbance in some areas, they are simply going back to their woodland roots... :hmm:

;)

I'm not sure the brown hare is indigenous to britain....

Bit off debate about that one,,, I looked on line a year or two back trying to find facts,,, and I read that hare remains were recordered befor the Romans,,, from several thousand years ago,,,,this was in the south of England,,,,

Weather those hare remains were from a brown hare or mountain,, is unclear,,,, of course it's unlikely a mountan hare,,,being the south of England ,,, but the range of the mountain hare thousands of years ago is not known,,, and of course the hare could have been killed in the north .... But who knows