Before The Saluki And Bull

28 years ago when i was 10 i ran a springer x lab with my ferrets cos it was all my mum would let me have, it was me best mate and to be fair was feckin useless, rabbit bolted in the net dog picked it up and ran all the way home with it! daytime mooching dog grabbed a pheasant in the bush would run all the way home with it. my entire childhood was spent picking up bags of one, as i had to pack up after the first one and chase the dog home. wouldnt have swopped him for the world though!

• Like 8

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We were the same,...never worried about the exact breeding,...it just didn't enter our heads...

28 years ago when i was 10 i ran a springer x lab with my ferrets cos it was all my mum would let me have, it was me best mate and to be fair was feckin useless, rabbit bolted in the net dog picked it

I seen my first saluki in the 70s a lad my dad new had it that come from the exchange and mart, as did most dogs that were breed out of are area or you did not no from hear say. hear an old pick I hav

the ist lurchers i saw was in 1960, gypos had some running rabbits in the fields by me, they looked like greyhounds with rough coats. They were more like dogs that Tom Riley ues to keep, just like very racey deerhounds thats the 1st ones i ever seen, i was only a kid then used walk our staff with them, they liked her she was 18ins more like a pit of today.Bur never forgot there dogs catching rabbits, they were very fast+agile dogs black and light brown color tall but not that heavy.!

I must be just stuck in the old ways as I always used and still use lurcherxlurcher...atb an old man

2009_07113day0042.jpg

2011_02163day0182.jpg

Same here jack, much prefer the older ways, and types of dog. And a couple of the best dogs I've seen on all quarry were lurcher x lurcher and deer/grey x collie grey. At present we have a collie/grey x deer/grey bitch that's doing really well now, 3 1/2 yrs old, this her second season, and my lad picked up a dog pup a few wks ago, 15 wks now, sire beardie/borderxgrey x deer/grey, looks very similar to your rough dog, and his dam is pure greyhound.

As for being stuck with old ways, I'm glad I am, can't hack all this modern caper lol, another old man :thumbs:

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1

I thought this subject would have a lot more interest but it seems there wasn't a time before these wonder dogs for most

Back then,.the Deerhound lurchers and cur dog mixes,.. ruled the roost,....we did the best we could,........with what was available..... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

From the early 80s i saw beddy crosses collie crosses and saluki crosses mainly and lurcher to lurcher. Speaking to the older generation at that time deerhound crosses and whippet cross greyhound were popular in my area back in the day and again lurcher to lurcher.

I thought this subject would have a lot more interest but it seems there wasn't a time before these wonder dogs for most

Back then,.the Deerhound lurchers and cur dog mixes,.. ruled the roost,....we did the best we could,........with what was available..... :thumbs:

What do you mean by that?

Deerhound crosses can still compete with Salukis and bulls as all rounders. It's a fashion thing. Salukis were hailed as a new wonder breed but they had no more wind than a deerhound and less recall. Bull crosses were supposed to give more fire to a lurcher but plenty of foxes were killed before everyone thought they needed one.

I'd put my dog from back then against the dogs of today. If you had to do the best you could with what was available then you didn't have anything decent available to you. It wasn't the dogs of the time, just the dogs you had.

What do you mean by that? Deerhound crosses can still compete with Salukis and bulls as all rounders. It's a fashion thing. Salukis were hailed as a new wonder breed but they had no more wind than a deerhound and less recall. Bull crosses were supposed to give more fire to a lurcher but plenty of foxes were killed before everyone thought they needed one. I'd put my dog from back then against the dogs of today. If you had to do the best you could with what was available then you didn't have anything decent available to you. It wasn't the dogs of the time, just the dogs you had.

Everyone has different standards mate with the bull and the saluki I believe a bigger percentage of dogs will make the grade than if you went for a deerhound x ect on there chosen quarry you only have to look back at old adverts when the saluki xes started bieng bred and sold like any "new" idea in the lurcher world people look and think "I'll give one of those a try" and they tend to work and work well.out of interest have you ever owned a saluki type before ?? I've seen a couple that were extremely biddable so not all have less recall than a deerhound type. If you talk to any of the old boys around here in there younger days a deerhound blooded dog was the choice if you were after hares. But they were amazed at the capabilities when saluki blooded dog started to get around. Whereas they were lucky to kill a couple with one dog a good saluki x could run 3/3 of strong hares and if it was decent kill them. I doubt many have seen a deerhound x do that week in week out. I have no qualms about any x or type I like them all but I own what works for me and they work well. All the best.

I worked a pair of Saluki x greyhounds back in the day. Their owner, my pal and a bloke I listened to, once said to me " I've always told you that a dog will work better if you put some love into it. But I don't even like these fecking dogs, let alone love them!"

We caught a lot of deer with them. Despite people only thinking they're good for hares, Salukis and their crosses go mad for deer. They weren't for teeth and were never used for that. The reason I would never have one or any saluki blood in a lurcher is because of those 2 dogs.

I make my opinions based on first hand experience. After owning a whippet x collie and seeing some collie x dogs I don't want any of their blood either.

I get out with a couple of blokes with excellent bull x's but they ain't for me. I like a dog to keep its skin on after it's hit a bit of cover. LOL!!!

I worked a pair of Saluki x greyhounds back in the day. Their owner, my pal and a bloke I listened to, once said to me " I've always told you that a dog will work better if you put some love into it. But I don't even like these fecking dogs, let alone love them!"

We caught a lot of deer with them. Despite people only thinking they're good for hares, Salukis and their crosses go mad for deer. They weren't for teeth and were never used for that. The reason I would never have one or any saluki blood in a lurcher is because of those 2 dogs.

I make my opinions based on first hand experience. After owning a whippet x collie and seeing some collie x dogs I don't want any of their blood either.

I get out with a couple of blokes with excellent bull x's but they ain't for me. I like a dog to keep its skin on after it's hit a bit of cover. LOL!!!