Crazy Pat

Ive got a 6 month old male rough haired patterdale that gets plenty of exercise, but is absolutely nuts, i carnt seem to find a way to steady him down is this normal for his age?

He trys getting through gates and walls by running into them and thinks he's a racing greyhound when in the garden!

Ive got a 6 month old male rough haired patterdale that gets plenty of exercise, but is absolutely nuts, i carnt seem to find a way to steady him down is this normal for his age?

He trys getting through gates and walls by running into them and thinks he's a racing greyhound when in the garden!

Its a pup,it will attempt to test and explore the growing strength within it,at every opportunity,let it have its freedom,along with its training,some settle down,with a little testing work,some don,t.Terriers for you.

He is just a normal 6 month old patterdale fookin bonkers, the bitch in my avatar was the same, but let him be a pup, one day that strength and stamina will be put to the test, school him right and you will have a goodun. the very best of luck.stripes.

He's in and out of his kennel with run of the garden most of the day then had about an hours walk on a night

try a good 3 hours walk a night know the feeling with a nutty terrier mine needs a good 4 mile walk a day too stay sane or he is barking at hes shadow and bouncing of the kennel run and that's up here some need a lot of stimulation and some are just nuts B467B7EA-7CF7-4F10-8CF7-AC63388D1AB8-126
  • Like 1

Boredom could be a factor, try an hour in the morning if you have the time, I've had fell types, especially dogs that can appear pretty full on at this age & beyond lol,these same dogs are often slow to mature & can often take a while to calm down for reliable work....but it's defo an inherent trait with some of these, bare with him, he could turn into something great in time....ATB

I'd let him self enter now might calm him down a bit, I find it the best way not to end up with a head banger but that's just me

Atb

6 months old?.Priceless.

plenty of good dogs have entered that early. if its ready its ready. dogs mature differently.

Entering what may have the potential to be a very hard dog at such an early age might well ruin him if he goes in all guns blazing and gets a bad hiding. Better to channel his energy into safer pursuits at this age: just my opinion. Lots of free running: or beside a bike: most dogs love that.

• Like 3