Best Book

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

not keen on some of the interview and photo shopped books that are around but each to there own..

Terrier wise..most are shite More scope if you like running dog books?

Hunt & working terriers by sir Jocelyn Lucas

Posted Images

Jock of the bushveld is good if you dont get the modern pc version, another good book imo is the terriers vocation Im sure the writer was geoffrey sparrow , it was written in the late 1800s or early 1900 and is pretty whitty and the guy talks a lot of sense. The other thing I noticed about it was the similarity to a few of the "tales" plummer told as his own. The fact this book was written before he was born says a lot about him!!!! (plummer)

Sparrows book The Terriers Vocation is overlooked a lot these days, dunno why, it's a cracker..... :yes:

Thing is and feel free to disagree but if its a tale you like, then read a couple of early Plummer books if you've never done before, Tales Of A Rat Hunting Man and Artisan Hunter are great reads IMO, as is Nathan.

It's easy to knock 'ol DBP but he could spin a bloody good yarn, especially early on.... :thumbs:

Sparrows book The Terriers Vocation is overlooked a lot these days, dunno why, it's a cracker..... :yes:

Thing is and feel free to disagree but if its a tale you like, then read a couple of early Plummer books if you've never done before, Tales Of A Rat Hunting Man and Artisan Hunter are great reads IMO, as is Nathan.

It's easy to knock 'ol DBP but he could spin a bloody good yarn, especially early on.... :thumbs:

Geoffrey Sparrow's The Terrier's Vocation is a really good wee book...... :yes: A time and period long gone now......some good stories and advice..... :thumbs:

If anyone wants to read it I'm happy to lend it........needs to come back when they're done with it though..... :laugh:

• Like 1

Plummer certainly wrote well, I was hooked on the stuff as a kid, saving my money to buy the next one! But a few years back while sorting out books to pass on, I delved into a few & he really did push the boundaries of believability lol

off another site ....take with a large pinch of salt :)

English Bulldog X Manchester terrier

One of the first Bull & Terriers

One of the most famous dog in the Staffordshire Bull Terrier studbook named after a book authored in 1880s with final draft published in 1907. The dog is Jock of the Bushveldt, born 1910. An excerpt from a newspaper clipping accompanying the photograph:

“Bred by Jack Higham of Chroley, Lancs, was believed by many to be a Stafford- he was certainly game enough for such a claim! Actually he was a direct cross Manchester Terrier sire X an all-brindle Bulldog bitch. It is also a fact he mated white Bull Terrier bitches (coloured Bull Terriers were then non-existent) to capture their nappers to his rich brindle thereby staring off all coloured Bull Terriers. Well, certainly, an influential line of them.”

post-62388-0-17694900-1381998297.jpg

lepus is another good one of his I think, wouldn't mind reading Nathan as well