Heavy Lurchers

Cleanspade what's in him and what age,?? Nice

first cross whippet wheaten. around eight or nine i think. :thumbs:
stick it over a greyhound

Why would anyone use a greyhound these days? Theres plenty of proven WORKING dogs about...dogs that actually have stamina, durability, good feet etc etc etc

• Like 3

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

23 inch tts. just under 60 pounds.   decent all round pesters dog. and just about unbreakable. made by tonka.       happy hunting.

Here are some of my dogs, the mother and father of NL's Tes and a half sister. All bred bedi whippet or 1st cross x 1st cross .Also the latest pup that I am bringing on, she is 51/2 months now and st

Posted Images

Why would anyone use a greyhound these days? Theres plenty of proven WORKING dogs about...dogs that actually have stamina, durability, good feet etc etc etc

But none can match it for speed, prey drive..... an they can be awesome fox dogs, and they can take knocks to

• Like 1

But none can match it for speed, prey drive..... an they can be awesome fox dogs, and they can take knocks to

There are proven coursing dogs out there that would match a grey for prey drive, not be that far behind in pace, better feet, better stamina, far more robust and far greater game sense.

• Like 5

I've given up trying to say which type of lurcher is least injury prone. I've had really heavy big dogs that floated on air, and lightly built ones that hammered the ground like charging bulls: you could hear them coming from far away so hard do their feet hit the ground at a gallop. Isn't a lot of it how they move?

True this my lad is quick but moves more like a train and seems clumbsy but still a good worker just i do be bitting my nails a bit over him!

There are proven coursing dogs out there that would match a grey for prey drive, not be that far behind in pace, better feet, better stamina, far more robust and far greater game sense.

stamina, well obviously, but pace..... not a chance..... and as for game sense, a lot of greys pre ban learnt to run cunning, its just most of them dont get the chance to prove thereselves

stamina, well obviously, but pace..... not a chance..... and as for game sense, a lot of greys pre ban learnt to run cunning, its just most of them dont get the chance to prove thereselves

Rear a greyhound pup like you would a lurcher and it will perform like a lurcher. Whether it could take the knocks and have the wind like a lurcher is another matter.

• Like 1

a "game"based lurcher does not need any more drive adding. what it needs is the stamina and wind to keep going to catch its quarry. Todays coursing dogs have far better ingredients (for want of a better term) than a greyhound, however its bred and reared. Yes those dogs have greyhound in them, but they wouldn't be the dogs they are without the outcrosses they have had and the field testing that has proved their worth.

you have spoken much of Ch and GrCh with regard to testing of the bull breeds, in lurcher breeding, may I suggest you look to the equivalent when adding to a base line of lurchers

• Like 3

because a grey is as fast as you get and each time it's crossed to slower animals it looses pace so by using a slower dog it makes a bigger difference and a fox isn't Gona run like no hare it needs caught quick and delt with before it hits a hole in the ground or a hedge

But th

because a grey is as fast as you get and each time it's crossed to slower animals it looses pace so by using a slower dog it makes a bigger difference and a fox isn't Gona run like no hare it needs caught quick and delt with before it hits a hole in the ground or a hedge

The dog in question is already fast enough for catching game regularly...

Why breed IN: bad feet, poor stamina, and self destruction... when you can breed in: solid feet, heaps of stamina, good coat, and proven working genetics for the job you want, from a proven working animal out of a proven line that excells in the field?

I'm not doubting that what you said would work, but if you want to keep working/breeding your line of dogs into the future, you will quickly stop using pure greyhound blood as it will only cause problems.

• Like 4