Whats The Worst Ground ...........

What's the worst ground you have to run your dogs on regularly ... Everywhere around me is proper rough ground with Flint and chalk covering all the fields but if you want to a run the dogs have to get used to it ... Luckily both my bitches have real good feet ... The pup has retrieved 17 hares off this land in the last month .........

image-87.jpg

image-88.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

steep woodland is the worst place I've had to run my dogs, and most times, there were occasions where I did not dare look and had to shut my eyes.. but you get used to it, and after a while it seems q

I've run me dogs on some rough stoney ground but I've seen more dogs kill themselves or seriously injure themselves on golf courses than anywhere else...

Posted Images

Pups doing excellent :victory:

Worst ground is on the fells around my way.. Hidden dangers, stones, rocks, scree..

I would not like to run regular on that flint - but if I was local would have to :thumbs:

largely down to luck methinks, we run a place that's loaded with flint, dogs never suffered nowt there, ran em on seed that's lay like bowling greens and they come away with toe injuries, I think a lot is how well feet are built initially and what they get used too.

largely down to luck methinks, we run a place that's loaded with flint, dogs never suffered nowt there, ran em on seed that's lay like bowling greens and they come away with toe injuries, I think a lot is how well feet are built initially and what they get used too.

I've always believed that winter seed to be bad,,, it looks great,,, but that soft tilled soil gets up in the quiks,,and they can get infected,,,the old dog was always having problems with that...I think soft grass land is the best for a dogs foot

I've always believed that winter seed to be bad,,, it looks great,,, but that soft tilled soil gets up in the quiks,,and they can get infected,,,the old dog was always having problems with that...I think soft grass land is the best for a dogs foot

not here at the minute all the pastures are that dry that they have badly cracked up some are several feet long 4 inch odd wide and over a foot deep :icon_eek:

DSC01345-1.jpg

ground like that... still some of the worst ive ran on have been heavily cow trodden fields that have started to dry up, some of the hoof prints go down a fair bit and if a dog got its leg in one while running it wouldnt be nice

I've run me dogs on some rough stoney ground but I've seen more dogs kill themselves or seriously injure themselves on golf courses than anywhere else...

True, i try to keep off them if i can with a dog, rather shoot them on there, and save the dog for other ground .!

It's pretty rough in some parts down my way, needless to say I would never run my dogs on this terrain unlike the local 'caravan club' who regularly drive across these fields and tip their dogs out on sighting hare or fallow.

post-69-0-27086300-1380743805.jpg

Edited by MikeTheDog
  • Like 1

:hmm:Run various lurcher crosses,.from Lands End to John o'Groats,...and I have found danger in most counties...

However,..in my opinion,...the most awkward terrain, is amidst old woodland debris and felled brash.. :yes:

When hunting rabbits, (or whatever), in such places, the dogs need to use just enough speed to come to terms with their quarry,.but must also learn to lay back, and time their strike, to avoid collisions. I've seen several dogs that cannot seem to grasp the potential dangers and who sadly end up getting impaled, on branches....Working in dark woodland or Pine forest is always best avoided,..but sometimes you have to go with the flow and take on the job..

Facts are,..the running dog game has never been a safe option,...and due to the exciting makeup of the fabulous lurcher,..it never will be. :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 4