Fox Pre Ban

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a lot will tackle a 180lb stag either, baying or grabbing them once their on floor after been pushed then hitting a fence aren't tackling them too me with a fox or stag you cant put into a dog

suppose when its about 18 months old -2 years old , by then it should have matured i n the head, but some dogs can be later to tackle teeth. Its just down to temp, seen some dogs want fight any other

Personally I think its either in the dog or it aint .All you can do is make sure its mentally old enough to introduce it to teeth .Enter it too young and you may ruin the dog.One more thing to add is

You seem to be confused as to the topic. No one is talking about entering a dog too young-the question was how to enter a youngster when its ready to start,without an older dog FFS. You obviously have no idea other than putting them in at the deep end with an older dog do you? Others with an open mind are merely saying that they make it as easy as possible for the youngster.

And if you think an August/September cub will put up a fight like a big old dog fox,you are talking out of the proverbial pal. They have neither the strength nor the bite.

How would you enter a youngster (ready to go,not immature to make it clear) if you didnt have an older dog to throw it in at the deep end with?

Straight answer to a straight question.

Whippet 99's point about a dog that is started on cubs and then getting hammered when it tries to take on an adult is 100% correct.

Out of all the people who start a dog on cubs, how many of you go out in the summer to start a young dog on bunnies that are just out of the nest? They'll give a dog a load of confidence, they can't run very fast and sometimes don't even see the dog as a threat.

These threads don't half contain some amount of 'how to' bullshit from folk who have obviously 'never done' what they are offering advice on.... :hmm:

the thing what makes me laugh is I know fully well that if a lad had a young dog he needed to start off ...............he/she preban wouldn't be looking if its this years fox...........if they have squeeled a fox right in .......whever or not its this years or not,.........on the lamp/daytime......that young dog will be slipped .....guaranteed,...........with the adrenalin going and one looking right at you 15 ft away,.....they will slip.... :yes:

and what I don't get is that this years cubs wont bite.lol...........I can tell you that preban in September a cub bit a hound and it was enough for the hound to let go and the cub made good its escape.......and it would be no use thinking a young lurcher will be different ........

all im saying is if you want to start a young dog off ,.....your better waiting with your own experience until its ready...........and if that means waiting until next September for a green fox then so be it................why risk two minutes for a life time of fox killing..........people who ruin young dogs start them off at the wrong time.....

the thing is people who haven't had lurchers cant wait too get out and at them pre ban / legal countries............its going to get bitten just make sure its ready.........

I made a brief observation.....you've just given a whole lecture.....there was no need... :D Honestly, spare me any more.... :thumbs:

These threads don't half contain some amount of 'how to' bullshit from folk who have obviously 'never done' what they are offering advice on.... :hmm:

the thing what makes me laugh is I know fully well that if a lad had a young dog he needed to start off ...............he/she preban wouldn't be looking if its this years fox...........if they have squeeled a fox right in .......whever or not its this years or not,.........on the lamp/daytime......that young dog will be slipped .....guaranteed,...........with the adrenalin going and one looking right at you 15 ft away,.....they will slip.... :yes:

and what I don't get is that this years cubs wont bite.lol...........I can tell you that preban in September a cub bit a hound and it was enough for the hound to let go and the cub made good its escape.......and it would be no use thinking a young lurcher will be different ........

all im saying is if you want to start a young dog off ,.....your better waiting with your own experience until its ready...........and if that means waiting until next September for a green fox then so be it................why risk two minutes for a life time of fox killing..........people who ruin young dogs start them off at the wrong time.....

the thing is people who haven't had lurchers cant wait too get out and at them pre ban / legal countries............its going to get bitten just make sure its ready.........

I made a brief observation.....you've just given a whole lecture.....there was no need... :D Honestly, spare me any more.... :thumbs:

:icon_redface::laugh::angel:

Christ whippet,more about turns than the fecking tories! You are probably right with your generalization about youngsters slipping on any fox but some did it right and picked the runs. Its the difference between shit or bust in at the deep end and entering a dog right. :thumbs:

And Kranky-I wouldnt run baby rabbits,but you would pick early season green rabbits for a young dog Surely?? Same principle as with fox.

• Like 1

THATS THE JOYS OF LURCHER WORK LADS,.....WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN WAYS OF DOING THINGS,......OUR OWN MAD THEORIES,HABBITS,ETC........AND MOST WAYS GET THE SAME END RESULT,.....JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW VERSATILE A SPORT IT REALLY IS......ALL THE BEST WITH YOUR SEASONS LADS.... :thumbs:.....

• Like 1

the thing what makes me laugh is I know fully well that if a lad had a young dog he needed to start off ...............he/she preban wouldn't be looking if its this years fox...........if they have squeeled a fox right in .......whever or not its this years or not,.........on the lamp/daytime......that young dog will be slipped .....guaranteed,...........with the adrenalin going and one looking right at you 15 ft away,.....they will slip.... :yes:and what I don't get is that this years cubs wont bite.lol...........I can tell you that preban in September a cub bit a hound and it was enough for the hound to let go and the cub made good its escape.......and it would be no use thinking a young lurcher will be different ........all im saying is if you want to start a young dog off ,.....your better waiting with your own experience until its ready...........and if that means waiting until next September for a green fox then so be it................why risk two minutes for a life time of fox killing..........people who ruin young dogs start them off at the wrong time.....the thing is people who haven't had lurchers cant wait too get out and at them pre ban / legal countries............its going to get bitten just make sure its ready.........

Christ whippet,more about turns than the fecking tories! You are probably right with your generalization about youngsters slipping on any fox but some did it right and picked the runs. Its the difference between shit or bust in at the deep end and entering a dog right. :thumbs:And Kranky-I wouldnt run baby rabbits,but you would pick early season green rabbits for a young dog Surely?? Same principle as with fox.

How do you pick an early season green rabbit out in the lamp? How do you differentiate between a green rabbit and an experienced one?

give the youngster half a chance by get it ratting and a full season on the bunnys ,this will learn how to take its quarry,

depending on its breeding

and how mentally its matured then step up its quarry ,yes cubs would be ideal but not always available but the main thing is don't ruin the

dog ,if fox is going to be a regular thing maybe trap one in a live trap and see if it reacts to it if not it probably wont be ready

too many jackers have been passed on and dogs ruined by INCOMPETANT owners ,common sense is the key but

get the dogs mouthing ,striking and field sense up to scratch and confidence in taking its quarry

not all dogs do fox ive had some that did n some that don't ,some needed guiding some not ,its a lottery ,but breeding and good entering

is the key

hope it goes ok mate

• Like 1

the thing what makes me laugh is I know fully well that if a lad had a young dog he needed to start off ...............he/she preban wouldn't be looking if its this years fox...........if they have squeeled a fox right in .......whever or not its this years or not,.........on the lamp/daytime......that young dog will be slipped .....guaranteed,...........with the adrenalin going and one looking right at you 15 ft away,.....they will slip.... :yes:and what I don't get is that this years cubs wont bite.lol...........I can tell you that preban in September a cub bit a hound and it was enough for the hound to let go and the cub made good its escape.......and it would be no use thinking a young lurcher will be different ........all im saying is if you want to start a young dog off ,.....your better waiting with your own experience until its ready...........and if that means waiting until next September for a green fox then so be it................why risk two minutes for a life time of fox killing..........people who ruin young dogs start them off at the wrong time.....the thing is people who haven't had lurchers cant wait too get out and at them pre ban / legal countries............its going to get bitten just make sure its ready.........
Christ whippet,more about turns than the fecking tories! You are probably right with your generalization about youngsters slipping on any fox but some did it right and picked the runs. Its the difference between shit or bust in at the deep end and entering a dog right. :thumbs:And Kranky-I wouldnt run baby rabbits,but you would pick early season green rabbits for a young dog Surely?? Same principle as with fox.

How do you pick an early season green rabbit out in the lamp? How do you differentiate between a green rabbit and an experienced one?

You have to ask?................Time of year and behaviour are clues............its about getting the dog on terms with its quarry and putting the odds in its favour as much as possible to build confidence thats the point. Carry on whichever way you choose to enter,each to their own......