Jimi Hendrix Was He The Best Axe Man?

The Edge is the only modern axe man that comes close to Jimi's ability to tell a story by cords and riffs since . Queens of the Stone Age come close ,though.

I'd agree with that Aaron, because The Edge is with U2 and not your classic style rock band he does get very much overlooked BUT few players have made such iconic sounds through a guitar, ever..!

Doubt that... Well, like 'em or not how many U2 riffs can you think of in the past 20 or so years, or how many would instantly, within a few bars, be instantly recognised as a U2 'hit' and then ask yourself how many have their been... Wikipedia their back catalogue, its quite shocking..!

Oh yer, that story bit that Aaron spoke about, well thats what he does, Bono gives him a picture of what his next songs gonna be about and Edge comes up with the riff to suit, how many other bands write like that?

A little off topic but if you are talking about musicians who give a band a unique sound and make them instantly recognisable then IMHO there is no one in the world to top our very own Mike Barson on the piano......a style never used by any other piano players in a band that sounds like nobody else before or since

JMHO

• Like 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

cant believe nobodys mentioned rory gallagher

Theres loads I like ... entertainment value has to be Angus young , I also love Lindsay Buckingham .. Johnny Marr ... jimmy page .. ... David Gilmore ...

Most of the above guitar players were massively influenced by Hendrix,when Clapton saw Hendrix for the first time he shit himself (by his own admission )and realised he was going to have to raise the

Does no one think Pete Townsend deserves a mention........Dave Gilmore............Roger Waters?............

Got to say Wilf,I think Townshend is very overated,think he will be remembered more for "inventing" the windmill and his other "antics"....Keith Moon on the other hand... :notworthy: awesome musician,and absolutely insane :laugh:

Does no one think Pete Townsend deserves a mention........Dave Gilmore............Roger Waters?............

Got to say Wilf,I think Townshend is very overated,think he will be remembered more for "inventing" the windmill and his other "antics"....Keith Moon on the other hand... :notworthy: awesome musician,and absolutely insane :laugh:

love the WHO great band, they were all good in there own right, but Moony was Brill, loved watching him, yes he was nutter.think the night he died he went Macca party found him dead next day, rest of the band said didnt think keith would get to old age .!

• Like 2

Its all relative to the time and place.....the sound Hedrix was producing at the time.....experimenting with feedback etc was all done manually..these days a lot of players need various pedals and amp settings to produce a sound....Billy Gibbons is a brilliant guitarist, Ted Nugent is another

Edited by undisputed

Its all relative to the time and place.....the sound Hedrix was producing at the time.....experimenting with feedback etc was all done manually..these days a lot of players need various pedals and amp settings to produce a sound....Billy Gibbons is a brilliant guitarist, Ted Nugent is another

Totally agree and said the same way back in the thread,those guys in the 50-60's were pioneers in getting the unique sounds out of basic standard gear.

I doubt anyone in the last 30 years has been putting pencil holes through there amp speakers,rewiring pickups and burning stages down with homemade pedals :))

just watching him on sky (1970) i forgot how Brill he was, do you think he was the best .? most of the top guitarist thought he was very good,way before his time. :yes:

Possibly the most overated guitarist of all time .To put him in perspective he could not carry Glen Cambell's guitar,and he is known primarily as a singer. I listen to guitarists on Sunday mornings who are playing for £70/80 a session that are better than Hendrix .

Townsend started that shit, smashing guitars, swinging his arms in a circle, because he couldnt play them too well.

Any of you lot ever heard of Rheinhardt or Paul ? Jesus Christ!

Edited by inan

Obviously the best is a hard thing to name. Jimmie Hendrix was great, but I'd like to mention few more I admire. (No particular order)

Buddy Guy

Eric Clapton

Stevie Ray

Joe Satriani

Carlos Santana

BB King

Phil Keaggy ( You think Hell, and Detroit are tough, try Youngstown Ohio)

Chuck Berry

Doak Short (my friend)

Jimmy Page

Jeff Beck

Alvin Lee

Muddy waters

There are plenty of other greats as well.

ATB

Rheinhardt

Paul

Schmidt

Hammond

Mclaughlin

Atkins

Cooder

Stoller

Lang

btw It's Albert Lee.

Edited by inan

Townsend started that shit, smashing guitars, swinging his arms in a circle, because he couldnt play them too well.

Yep I mentioned him way back in this thread and he's been cited as one of the most influential guitarists of the 20th century and considering django only had use of 2 fingers on his fret hand the others being paralysed it makes his playing ability even more astonishing.

But I do think to say Hendrix was only a singer is madness his style and sound was way out there and before his time.

• Like 1

Yep I mentioned him way back in this thread and he's been cited as one of the most influential guitarists of the 20th century and considering django only had use of 2 fingers on his fret hand the others being paralysed it makes his playing ability even more astonishing.

But I do think to say Hendrix was only a singer is madness his style and sound was way out there and before his time.

I said Cambell was known primarily as a singer , he was actually a far better guitarist than Hendrix

I said Cambell was known primarily as a singer , he was actually a far better guitarist than Hendrix
Sorry my bad :)

Townsend is a great guitarist not for his rock solos but for his style. The guitar smashing was actually an accident whilst playing the Railway Hotel in Harrow the stage ceiling was only 7ft high as he hit a chord he raised the guitar up and accidently smashed it on the ceiling breaking the head off, so not to look stupid he then smashed the rest of the guitar up and the crowd went wild, moon the loon joined in and the rest is history.

Yep Glenn Cambell is not only an excellent song writer but also an excellent guitarist, better then Hendrix not really different styles again but what sets Hendrix apart is he was breaking boundaries and everyone else followed.

Led Zeps Stairway to heaven is a piece of piss to play but could I have written it? Could I f*ck, that's what makes it such an awesome piece of music. Music is so subjective that's why we love it

As I said before Brian Setzer is probably one of if not the greatest guitarist alive today.

ATB