Mitchell Half Bail Reel

Not sure if this is the place for this, anyway l purchased in an auction today a couple of mitchell reels 1 being a half bail reel no sooner had the hammer dropped this guy came over and said it was not a common reel and could be worth a bit it has a number on the handle, so does anyone here know the value or maybe where l can find a value, looked on fleabay not much help realy, there is a mitchell museum with a forum but thought l would ask here first before l go through the hasle of registering, cheers in advance.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here it is

Mitchell match reels and Normark rods, my ultimate fantasies as a kid lol...   I ended up working for Geoff Salisbury in the tackle shop, he helped design Normark match rods (and later on carbon tec

I was over the moon with the first one of them i got, felt like i could catch bigger and better fish.

Posted Images

is it not the mitchell match with the auto bail arm :hmm:

I was over the moon with the first one of them i got, felt like i could catch bigger and better fish.

i had one but could never get on with it :laugh: i preferred the ABU506 :laugh::laugh:

Used to have a pair of them ,twinned with the awesome power of my 10ft Normark Black Medallion 1 3/4 test curve rods,thought I was Rod Hutchinson :laugh::icon_redface: Used to be a common sound in the 80s,the flapping of the bale arm on the 300s and 410s mid cast as the spring failed :icon_eek::laugh:

• Like 2

Not sure if this is the place for this, anyway l purchased in an auction today a couple of mitchell reels 1 being a half bail reel no sooner had the hammer dropped this guy came over and said it was not a common reel and could be worth a bit it has a number on the handle, so does anyone here know the value or maybe where l can find a value, looked on fleabay not much help realy, there is a mitchell museum with a forum but thought l would ask here first before l go through the hasle of registering, cheers in advance.

why didn't he buy it :hmm:

Cheers for that.

No, got 1 of them l got it many moons ago when l was realy into fishing, great reel love using it

why didn't he buy it :hmm:

Not sure, l got the impession he was an out and out fisherman not a collector who just knew his stuff

Edited by monynut

Used to have a pair of them ,twinned with the awesome power of my 10ft Normark Black Medallion 1 3/4 test curve rods,thought I was Rod Hutchinson :laugh::icon_redface: Used to be a common sound in the 80s,the flapping of the bale arm on the 300s and 410s mid cast as the spring failed :icon_eek::laugh:
Aye...my old man had a few of these in the 70's and early 80's. Screws always coming loose and shite springs in the bail arm. He had loads of bits for them...still got them I think. Takes me back to when I was a boy the old Mitchell 300's and 310. Then the Cardinal 55 came out and we all thought it was the dogs ;-) Edited by AirgunGuy
  • Like 1

The Mitchell Match was in light blue or dark blue Model 440A,Cardinal 55....the stuff of wet dreams in the eighties :laugh:

as were bruce and walker rods but sadly i had to settle with the winfield range from woolworths also boyo and intredpid delux reels :laugh:

The Mitchell Match was in light blue or dark blue Model 440A,Cardinal 55....the stuff of wet dreams in the eighties :laugh:

as were bruce and walker rods but sadly i had to settle with the winfield range from woolworths also boyo and intredpid delux reels :laugh:

:icon_eek:

Had a cracking Bruce and Walker rod mid eighties,took some right stick for buying it .... because it had a full cork handle ,not "abbreviated duplon" :icon_eek::chair::laugh: sadly it lost a fight with my old fellas Astra when he closed the boot lid on it :cray:

:icon_eek:

Had a cracking Bruce and Walker rod mid eighties,took some right stick for buying it .... because it had a full cork handle ,not "abbreviated duplon" :icon_eek::chair::laugh: sadly it lost a fight with my old fellas Astra when he closed the boot lid on it :cray:

i had one in the early 80`s, can not for the life of me remember the model now. it has a step down in the fibre glass about six inch down from the end of the handle :hmm: i also had a 4 piece 18ft rod :laugh: