Mitchell Half Bail Reel

The Mitchell Match was in light blue or dark blue Model 440A,Cardinal 55....the stuff of wet dreams in the eighties :laugh:

as were bruce and walker rods but sadly i had to settle with the winfield range from woolworths also boyo and intredpid delux reels :laugh:

Black Prince. :thumbs:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here it is

Mitchell match reels and Normark rods, my ultimate fantasies as a kid lol...   I ended up working for Geoff Salisbury in the tackle shop, he helped design Normark match rods (and later on carbon tec

I was over the moon with the first one of them i got, felt like i could catch bigger and better fish.

Posted Images

The Mitchell Match was in light blue or dark blue Model 440A,Cardinal 55....the stuff of wet dreams in the eighties :laugh:

as were bruce and walker rods but sadly i had to settle with the winfield range from woolworths also boyo and intredpid delux reels :laugh:

Black Prince. :thumbs:

i may have one of them in the shed :laugh:

I was given an intrepid elite for my fifth birthday every year it went back to K P Morrits Intrepid works falmouth. Every year it came back as a new reel. One year I snapped the handle on it, so sawed a piece of copper pipe in half slid it over what was left of the handle and hammered it in to place, bent the two pieces of copper out for the reel seat and used it like that for the rest of the year. Sent it away at the end of the year and got a new reel back. Every year the price was the same 12/6d. Customer service was fantastic with Intrepid.

TC

Edited by tiercel

Intrepid Boyo. My first ever reel, came as part of a set my Mum bought for my brother and me from the Club book back in the early to mid 70's. The rod was called "White Whale" Solid fiberglass and weighed as much as a whale. 3 Floats, some hooks to nylon, a 4 compartment shot box and a disgorger all on a cardboard sheet.

Happy days.

Mitchell match reels and Normark rods, my ultimate fantasies as a kid lol...

I ended up working for Geoff Salisbury in the tackle shop, he helped design Normark match rods (and later on carbon tech)... He was the one who gave me £20 for the comp on Saturday, I used to sit behind him at the John Smiths festival in Evesham...

Old fashioned match fishing....... Roll on Sunday.... I might bring my Mitchell match...

• Like 3

Are Normark still going Kev ?? I could never afford one. IIRC. Titan 2000 was the dogs then. Had to make do with Shakespere Presidents. :cry:

No all finished Arch, the Carbo Tech range followed ( and they're all finished too), they were top quality, I was having the yap with Kev ( Geoff's son) in the shop the other week about them, Hardy wanted to buy into them but the rod builder they were tied into wouldn't buy into it, Hardy went on to make some decent rods and Carbo Tech went bust.

I'll be using a early proto type of the Titan 2000 Sunday and also the 11ft multi quiver ( if needed) there about 20 years old and still going strong lol..

I was looking at getting another match rod similar, the only thing close ( I thought) was the new Preston Inovvations rod or the top range Daiwas... Normark were by a long way the best match rods made IMO...

I was fortunate to work in the shop at that time with the main rod designer hence I got a couple, no chance with there price tag else back then...

They still hold good money now...

Are Normark still going Kev ?? I could never afford one. IIRC. Titan 2000 was the dogs then. Had to make do with Shakespere Presidents. :cry:

No all finished Arch, the Carbo Tech range followed ( and they're all finished too), they were top quality, I was having the yap with Kev ( Geoff's son) in the shop the other week about them, Hardy wanted to buy into them but the rod builder they were tied into wouldn't buy into it, Hardy went on to make some decent rods and Carbo Tech went bust.

I'll be using a early proto type of the Titan 2000 Sunday and also the 11ft multi quiver ( if needed) there about 20 years old and still going strong lol..

I was looking at getting another match rod similar, the only thing close ( I thought) was the new Preston Inovvations rod or the top range Daiwas... Normark were by a long way the best match rods made IMO...

I was fortunate to work in the shop at that time with the main rod designer hence I got a couple, no chance with there price tag else back then...

They still hold good money now...

All my kit is "old school" Original Dave Harrell float rods, Amorphrous Whisker feeder rods, Shimano supermatch RE reels. It's only the pole i use thats a bit special.

Could never get on with Mitchell match's. The bail arm on mine seemed to stick when winding in. Had it serviced by Leeda and it still was stiff. Sold it.

• Like 1

Haha same as me, always wanted a Mitchell match, when I got one I didn't like it... Still got the old daiwa closed face reels fir my stick fishing, and my other match rod is a Dave Harrel mate lol..

• Like 1