Fitter Type English Bull Terrier

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That Tinker belonged to an old school pal of mine from the mid 60's, and we still hunt together albeit at a slower pace. Tinker and Handy ( Red Hand of Ulster to give him his full name) were both bred

One for those interested in Wheatens... from the 1970s.... I had to crop it as the man in photo might not like it,,,    

No there was a wee dog from Limerick called "The Gallant Hendrix", Handy and Tinker, which were the only dogs of this breed I remember seeing certifying, which may be a contributing factor as to why t

Posted Images

The apbt predates the staff by a long way Big E....I would recommend you read some of Richard Strattan's books on the breed. His scientific training as a marine biologist informs his logic and cuts through a lot of the nonsensical popular mythology like a laser.

so what went into the creation of the apbt to make them the bulldogs off today??

The apbt predates the staff by a long way Big E....I would recommend you read some of Richard Strattan's books on the breed. His scientific training as a marine biologist informs his logic and cuts through a lot of the nonsensical popular mythology like a laser.

so what went into the creation of the apbt to make them the bulldogs off today??

That's putting the cart before the horse big E.....the term bulldog is what most of the yanks called their sporting pit dogs until about 1898 when I think it was a columnist in the Police Gazette (which used to publish match reports at the time) who began to use the term American Pit Bull Terrier....possibly out of patriotism??? Sporting bulldogs where still being exported from the British Isles to the U.S. after that time. Exports from Belfast, Glasgow, London and Cork are all mentioned in the old books and the Colby dogs from the Galtee area have been at the back of a lot of top dogs of the 20th century. I think J.P. Colby's gr grandsons are still breeding dogs today but for pet and show homes now. Those old sporting type bulldogs are the same dogs that lie behind the creation of the E.B.T. and Staffordshire bull terrier which was developed from the k.c. recognised version of the old type in 1935. So rather than the pitbul being descended from Staffordshires, its the other way around.....they just weren't American pitbuls!

• Like 6

That's putting the cart before the horse big E.....the term bulldog is what most of the yanks called their sporting pit dogs until about 1898 when I think it was a columnist in the Police Gazette (which used to publish match reports at the time) who began to use the term American Pit Bull Terrier....possibly out of patriotism??? Sporting bulldogs where still being exported from the British Isles to the U.S. after that time. Exports from Belfast, Glasgow, London and Cork are all mentioned in the old books and the Colby dogs from the Galtee area have been at the back of a lot of top dogs of the 20th century. I think J.P. Colby's gr grandsons are still breeding dogs today but for pet and show homes now. Those old sporting type bulldogs are the same dogs that lie behind the creation of the E.B.T. and Staffordshire bull terrier which was developed from the k.c. recognised version of the old type in 1935. So rather than the pitbul being descended from Staffordshires, its the other way around.....they just weren't American pitbuls!

oh right so do you think the apbt is the closest to what it was origionally bred to do? and would they be close to the bulldogs of the 1800S that were once famous not like the modern English bulldogs

Yes like any breed bred purely for performance....winning dog to winning bitch....I would expect the quality to improve over time. In the same way show type dogs bred to conform to a standard drawn up by a committee would likely degenerate into a caracature of the original breed. Imagine the slab sided show greyhound running in the derby or a modern Lassie type collie herding sheep.

Edited by BOLIO1
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...