Water Based Paint

I'm overhauling the house at the minute and I've decided to use a water based paint rather than the oil based traditional gloss for the skirting's, etc.

I've looked at the leyland acrylic paints, now I'm not sure to go for the water based gloss or the satinwood.

Any suggestions from resident painter/decorators , I hate painting by the way... :laugh:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ian --- don't bother with water based --it yellows quicker--marks up quicker and if your painting over oil based it tends to peel ,shows the brush marks, stick to oil based undercoat and gloss or sati

Acrylic undercoat primer undercoat is a god send on a Friday afternoon when you want to get away! Lol

Stig Ive Oil Brushes Ive Had Yrs , And You Will Know What I Mean When I Say There "Worked In" . . Money Can't Buy Them Only Working Them In Over Time Gets Them Perfect For Cutting Woodwork In .

I'm overhauling the house at the minute and I've decided to use a water based paint rather than the oil based traditional gloss for the skirting's, etc.

I've looked at the leyland acrylic paints, now I'm not sure to go for the water based gloss or the satinwood.

Any suggestions from resident painter/decorators , I hate painting by the way... :laugh:

no idea i leave all that to the Mrs :laugh:

Ha ha too right..I wish, I'm sick of all this DIY malarkey.. :cray:

Ha ha too right..I wish, I'm sick of all this DIY malarkey.. :cray:

always seems a good idea when you start it, gets really tedious when doing it, but worth it when you finish it. :laugh:

ian --- don't bother with water based --it yellows quicker--marks up quicker and if your painting over oil based it tends to peel ,shows the brush marks, stick to oil based undercoat and gloss or satin wood --- and rub it down .. a tip for not getting fluff on your brush and spreading it about and to make the a bit quicker -run some 2 inch masking tape round your carpets ...

• Like 2

I hate painting with a passion too. I'd rather be liked to death by a saluki. I think its the thought of painting more than the actual painting. Looking at all the stuff you need to move/cover etc...... Cold shiver there :laugh: as for the buggy hugging water based, can never be as good as oil based surely. Look at an oil painting compared to a water base one :laugh:

• Like 1

I hate painting with a passion too. I'd rather be liked to death by a saluki. I think its the thought of painting more than the actual painting. Looking at all the stuff you need to move/cover etc...... Cold shiver there :laugh: as for the buggy hugging water based, can never be as good as oil based surely. Look at an oil painting compared to a water base one :laugh:

water based paints come a long way but still not as good as your oil based --I paint a fair bit of furniture I`ve tried all these annie sloan and farrow and ball water based furniture paints but imo there shit .. I stick to the 3 coat system on mine prime undercoat and top coat ..

Edited by the_stig

That aquatec gloss is pants, I've also told customers that I won't use it although on some of the bigger contract specify and supply it so I just do what they ask.

Tickle over between coats and use oil based paints for all woodwork, don't thin it with turps or white spirit either as it makes the gloss discolour faster. If you need it to flow a bit better add a product called "owatrol", it improves body and let's the gloss flow alot better reducing brush marks aswell.

Or....... Just pay me to do it. Lol

Cheers, Matt

I'd just like to say, " Amen! " to everyone, from Ian right down the thread who said they Hate f**king painting!

I absolutely f**king despise Any form of painting. I don't care if it's a wall or a door. I hate it!

And, guess what I'm in the midst of doing a shit load of, right now? Yeppers. Two garden gates and a shit load of paling fence. I wake up depressed at the thought of it!

Matt ....? If only you were closer! :laugh:

Another here who hates painting! :laugh: I've got visions of going to hell after I die and being presented with a small brush, bottomless tin of brilliant white gloss and being put to work on a never ending stretch of two inch skirting that stretches off into the distance... :( Best get my ass down the chapel next Sunday I think... :laugh: