Hard Hares.................soft Hares

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

anywhere they get ran regular there will be a better class of hare if you hammer a spot all winter what you should be left with come breeding time is the best hares survival of the fittest

Some years ago we went on an estate which was stricktly keepered as was all the surrounding area. Very few people got on here to run hares. When we ran nearly every hare was killed and the keeper ca

Hyde park

cant beat them old sheep dogs for catching fen hares :thumbs:

Fen hares are that fat and lazy now mate, old shep would be a 5/5 dog :D

lol give it a few minuets and some clown will be challenging for a race !

cant beat them old sheep dogs for catching fen hares :thumbs:

Fen hares are that fat and lazy now mate, old shep would be a 5/5 dog :D

lol give it a few minuets and some clown will be challenging for a race !

Aye mate, probably come all the way from Ireland too with a bus load forming a Q to give me a slap :D sensitive wee souls ;)

• Like 1

I think we all know of a hare either on your permission or on some bit of land that rips the pish from your dog. They can be crafty buggers. Here a thing..... We have heard for eternity how the hares on the fens are the best due to good feeding and getting run regular. Since the ban, the fens more than most places, is watched heavily. Hear of drones getting used etc. so it stands to reason the hares aren't getting ran anywhere near as much. The bans been in a few years now, so is the fen hare as good as it was in the day you had the real forley cup and all the coursing clubs that frequented it? Or will the fen hare remain some kind of legendary superior hare even though it must be getting fatter and slower on all that good grub :hmm:

you hear of these dogs from days gone by doing 8/8 and 9/9. the hares i run youve got some dog if you can kill 3 or 4 maybe my starnderds arnt as high as men gone by but my dogs make me happy :thumbs:

I think we all know of a hare either on your permission or on some bit of land that rips the pish from your dog. They can be crafty buggers. Here a thing..... We have heard for eternity how the hares on the fens are the best due to good feeding and getting run regular. Since the ban, the fens more than most places, is watched heavily. Hear of drones getting used etc. so it stands to reason the hares aren't getting ran anywhere near as much. The bans been in a few years now, so is the fen hare as good as it was in the day you had the real forley cup and all the coursing clubs that frequented it? Or will the fen hare remain some kind of legendary superior hare even though it must be getting fatter and slower on all that good grub :hmm:

you hear of these dogs from days gone by doing 8/8 and 9/9. the hares i run youve got some dog if you can kill 3 or 4 maybe my starnderds arnt as high as men gone by but my dogs make me happy :thumbs:

I'll be honest with you KC, I'D be over the moon with 2/3 and that's not the super dooper fen hare. Anyone who has a dog that catches almost everything in front of it must be some dog or they are running the same ground more than the hare :thumbs:

I'll be honest with you KC, I'D be over the moon with 2/3 and that's not the super dooper fen hare. Anyone who has a dog that catches almost everything in front of it must be some dog or they are running the same ground more than the hare :thumbs:

feck i only got 10 mins on each block of land then away. i dont know the land never mind the dog :laugh::thumbs:

• Like 1

It's like anything physical you have your dogs that are like us and say the premier league in boxing/footy/rugby with natural talent and then you have your Sunday league players who will never make that grade how ever hard in trying . Regardless of breeding its all about natural talent in the end and the true best at there job out there hardly miss. takes a very good dog man tho to make sure they teach there potential some people could have something special and not no it as they can't get the best out of them. Swings and roundabouts I suppose. Lot in this coursing malarkey make your head burst lol

• Like 1

you take the dog to the land the dog does the rest if they miss they learn from it, if they catch they learn from it . when lads were out doing 8s and nines they were walking the land all day and usually 3/4 lads with 1/2 dogs each now its on and off and you can do 10 miles once you get to the land just driving from run to run, dogs are not better or worse just times have changed you are lucky to get 4/5 runs on the bounce.

anybody find any difference in hares in different parts of the country running harder than others.one of the spots we run on they seem stronger than others .or is this because these particular hares are getting run regular,or should a good dog kill them anywhere.

anybody find any difference in hares in different parts of the country running harder than others.one of the spots we run on they seem stronger than others .or is this because these particular hares are getting run regular,or should a good dog kill them anywhere.

and were would u find gud hares pat the shooting range