Am I Being Unreasonable?

Let me know your thoughts folks.

I live in a terraced/town house. Call it what you will. Row of 4.

The house next door (on the end) has been empty since we lived here.

It's been brought by a Greek bloke and his English wife about 12 weeks ago. Both in their late 50s, early 60s.

Seen them once and briefly exchanged pleasantrys. They said they were going to renovate. Asked if the noise would be an issue (like we had a choice), I said not really. We work 9-5 Mon-Fri. Only chance of a decent lie in is Saturday because we don't have my daughter Friday night so if the builders aren't starting too early at weekends then that would be good. She nodded and agreed.

A few weeks ago their niece (who lives along the road) asked me to sign a piece of paper saying that their builder could put a support on the partition wall. I was a bit annoyed that he didn't come round and ask me himself and got his niece to ask me but still. I signed it with a squiggle that has no connection with me or my name and off she went.

Anyway work commenced on Monday this week, full scale demolition. Walls coming down. Windows and doors out. Skips everywhere. You name it. Proper job.

Monday at 8am they started and at 7pm they were just downing tools. I was starting to think it was getting late approaching 7pm. I take my daughter to bed at half past and she wouldn't sleep with the sound of angle grinders and walls coming down.

Same story all week really. Not too much of an issue. Saturday morning... 7:50 am woken up by Crash bang wallop. Sunday 8.10 am. Same story.

Now I'm not a big sleeper and usually up early anyways. But the Missus likes a lie in at the weekend. We both work mon-fri.

I plan to speak to the niece and get hold of the Greek bloke and politely suggest that if I am woken up before 9am next Saturday or Sunday then I will make sure they are woken up by the noisiest yapping terrier that I can find when they move in.

It's not just tapping and moving stuff about. It's constant hammer f***ing hammer.

Am I being a miserable c**t and unreasonable? I don't think I am. I'm just after some consideration and courtesy.

The bloke the other side works nights and he gets in at 6am, potters about till 10am and sleeps 10am till 4pm before going to work again at 10pm.

When we moved in I made sure any banging, knocking, hammering nails in etc was done before 10am or after 4pm. Not always possible but 90% of the time it's doable.

When he said how quiet we had been moving in and settling and I told him I knew he worked nights so tried to be quiet between 10 and 4 his appreciation was immense. We get on great now because of it. Lend garden tools, have coffee over the fence etc. That bit of thought went a long way.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's probably the builders more than the neighbour mate I take it they ain't staying there just now, just be carefull you don't start a wee argument when your keeping dogs because people can make life

Were you sending the missus round like?!?

What a bunch of mellow chaps we have on here.   I was alll for giving the Greek c**t a left hook so he knows where we stand

It's probably the builders more than the neighbour mate I take it they ain't staying there just now, just be carefull you don't start a wee argument when your keeping dogs because people can make life difficult for you aswell moaning about dogs barking etc

• Like 4

thats what its all about need to get on with them your not being unreasonable get them told once they move in it will be worse smashing plates against the walls sure the greeks dont wash dishes just smash them lol good luck mate just speak to them

8am to 7pm anyday I think is reasonable even if you work nights you cant expect folk to put there lifes works on hold ,it not be forever will it as once there done with the heavy work it move onto first fix second fix skimming

Cookie

Just read the bit try and be quiet between 10am and 4pm :icon_eek: most builders have not even started by then and knocked off by 4pm :laugh:

Edited by cookiemonsterandmerlin

Might be best to grin and bear it for a few weeks, let them get it done and past with!

Not fine, but let him get it over with, out of the way.

They can't chap on for ever. ;)

Not suggesting you are the 'miserable c**t' you mention, might just be 'easier' to let hime fire in and get it done. :thumbs:

8am to 7pm anyday I think is reasonable even if you work nights you cant expect folk to put there lifes works on hold ,it not be forever will it as once there done with the heavy work it move onto first fix second fix skimming

Cookie

Just read the bit try and be quiet between 10am and 4pm :icon_eek: most builders have not even started by then and knocked off by 4pm :laugh:

take it your no a builder then lol

Gaz I think you answered your own question there when you said you get on well with your other neighbour because you were considerate. All you want to do is be able to get on with your neighbours. So if its really bothering you then have a proper word with the Greek man, tell him the crack and hopefully he sees your side off view. Better off living in harmony than arguing all the time.

here you go gaz copy this and hand it to him :laugh: αν dont κρατήσει το θόρυβο κάτω im πρόκειται να κολλήσει το πόδι μου στον κώλο σου

Not east Gaz mate...

Foreigners have a real 'f**k' you attitude and plain and simple reasoning often goes right over their heads...

Just remember you have to live next door to them we don't... :thumbs:

Years ago I got into a terrible situation with neighbours that had escalated over a couple of years...and in the end affected everyone for a lifetime...

Take care...

Inconvenience for a month is not to bad if it means at the end the unoccupied house is lived in it improves the area, 8 am to 7 pm is not unreasonable and if it is 7 days for a few qweeks it will be completed quicker, builders dont bang and do hard graft unless they have to also they want it finished asap to move on and earn more money so grin and bear it keep good relation with your new neighbours its better than the alternative.

here you go gaz copy this and hand it to him :laugh: αν dont κρατήσει το θόρυβο κάτω im πρόκειται να κολλήσει το πόδι μου στον κώλο σου

Haha. Thanks Paul. Not sure if I want to translate that or not. Lol

What a bunch of mellow chaps we have on here.

I was alll for giving the Greek c**t a left hook so he knows where we stand :laugh:

Didn't wee see your video one time mate...? Not wanting you to get your c**t kicked in... Ahahahahahahaha

• Like 2