• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always!   I've been shooting with 30/30 reticle scopes for the past 35-odd years and I love em! Currently I have a trusted Simmons Whitetail Classic 4.5-14 X 40 AO which I alternate with a Simmo

TASCO scopes from the 1980s were a really marvelous deal for air rifle shooters back then. They gave us our first proper scopes at sensible prices. It's good to read you are still happily shooting wit

The Vortex rimfire should be ideal.

Will do!

Have a look at the Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 Rimfire. Its paralax is set @50 yards and several folks on another forum have been saying the optical quality is as good as a Leupold.

ive only ever used a 30/30 ret I did try a mildot once but didn't like it .... ive currently got a 80s tasco on my rapid its as clear and as accurate as you could wish for..... each to there own and all that.

kanny

• Like 1

Bought a Leupold rifleman in the States this year for 200 quid and a Simmons WTC for a 100 quid with the same ret and mag and the Simmons is the superior scope in quality of sight picture/clarity etc.

Chris

• Like 1

TASCO scopes from the 1980s were a really marvelous deal for air rifle shooters back then. They gave us our first proper scopes at sensible prices. It's good to read you are still happily shooting with one Kanny! :thumbs:

Blimey Chris, I'd have thought a Leupold would have the edge over the Simmons. But the Simmons Whitetail Classics were a brilliant scope for any air rifle. I still have the "Graphite coated" 4.5-14x 40 AO I bought with my HW80 nearly 16 years ago. Thousands of shots at high recoiling FAC output and my Simmons is still as good as the day I bought it new. @ £230:00! But that's quality!

As much as I enjoy what Hawke are doing for very little cost by comparison, I have yet to own one that would last half as long as these beauties. They don't seem to last long on spring rifles and I certainly won't let the two I have left anywhere near my FAC 80 .22 :icon_eek: She'd smash them up in a morning's zero session!

Best regards.

ive only ever used a 30/30 ret I did try a mildot once but didn't like it .... ive currently got a 80s tasco on my rapid its as clear and as accurate as you could wish for..... each to there own and all that.

kanny

Bought a Leupold rifleman in the States this year for 200 quid and a Simmons WTC for a 100 quid with the same ret and mag and the Simmons is the superior scope in quality of sight picture/clarity etc.

Chris

Simon

• Like 1

On my latest rifle (an HW90 picked up yesterday) I got an RWS Prestige 30/30 reticle 3-9x40 scope. This rifle will not be used to hunt at the same ranges as my Hawke equipped PCP rifles, but it will remain on the 90, as it it parallaxed for air rifle ranges and this is a Japanese made scope.

I don't find the optics quite as bright as my Hawkes, but for what this gun will be used for, it is perfectly acceptable.

TASCO scopes from the 1980s were a really marvelous deal for air rifle shooters back then. They gave us our first proper scopes at sensible prices. It's good to read you are still happily shooting with one Kanny! :thumbs:

Blimey Chris, I'd have thought a Leupold would have the edge over the Simmons. But the Simmons Whitetail Classics were a brilliant scope for any air rifle. I still have the "Graphite coated" 4.5-14x 40 AO I bought with my HW80 nearly 16 years ago. Thousands of shots at high recoiling FAC output and my Simmons is still as good as the day I bought it new. @ £230:00! But that's quality!

As much as I enjoy what Hawke are doing for very little cost by comparison, I have yet to own one that would last half as long as these beauties. They don't seem to last long on spring rifles and I certainly won't let the two I have left anywhere near my FAC 80 .22 :icon_eek: She'd smash them up in a morning's zero session!

Best regards.

kanny

Chris

Simon

I'm the same when it comes to optics and have never managed to get on with a Hawke.

My favourite scope that I'm using on one of my rigs is a " Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5 - 16 x 50 " its so clear and bright !

• Like 1

Never had a Bushnell scope that went wrong, Wasted. I love them. That Bushnell Elite you have sounds truly amazing :thumbs: . I love the idea of having a scope that can roll down to 2.5 x-mag and up to 16 x-mag through a 50mm Objective Lens. There's nothing you can't shoot with such a focal range! :thumbs:

I have actually,Elliott. Their Pro Staff range look very good. Andy put me on about them when we met up for a shoot not long back. I think he's been pretty much taken with them too. :thumbs:

Simon, have you considered Nikon, they look a good little optic in 3-9x40 spec?

Pro Staff are superb. I like the "almost" 30/30 clarity of the BDC reticule. It is uncluttered for fast target acquisition, but gives you those half way point fast find aiming points - again without blocking the view. Brilliant optics in them too - thankfully I bought my few many years ago before they were discovered and the price went up! I had to reparallax mine for air rifle ranges, but that was only a 5 minute job. Set at 35 yards now. Both are 3-9x40 but the 2-7 x looks ideal for when I get the HW77 finished. It has been sat in the cupboard, oiled and awaiting internal for, oh dear, I hate to admit it, over 2 years! The stock is done, just the metal work to do.

I love the BDC reticule, but I also have a Simmonds WTC in crackle finish - it sits on my Theoben SLR98 and makes a great classic combo - 2.5-10 x 50 with 30/30 and it is lovely.

BDC reticule:

Olympus003.jpg

• Like 1

If i were to get a pro staff, what would be the optimum range to re paralax ? It would be going on an Fac shooting out to 60 or so yards but also rats at 15-20 yards with the rifles power turned down.

Edited by woodcote1