• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always!   I've been shooting with 30/30 reticle scopes for the past 35-odd years and I love em! Currently I have a trusted Simmons Whitetail Classic 4.5-14 X 40 AO which I alternate with a Simmo

TASCO scopes from the 1980s were a really marvelous deal for air rifle shooters back then. They gave us our first proper scopes at sensible prices. It's good to read you are still happily shooting wit

The Vortex rimfire should be ideal.

I shouldered a gun in the gunshop t'other week and when I looked through the scope it was a 30/30 .. felt young again its that long since ive used one! haha

was a nice change from looking at a mildot / Christmas tree type ret tho :)

im thinking of buying a cheap little plinker, just to have a messs about with some iron sights, for the laugh!

Always!

I've been shooting with 30/30 reticle scopes for the past 35-odd years and I love em! :thumbs: Currently I have a trusted Simmons Whitetail Classic 4.5-14 X 40 AO which I alternate with a Simmons Pro Air 6-18 X 40 scope for my FAC HW80 .22. These are still the best I've used for this rifle.

My sub-12 ft/lb HW77 .22 has a Bushnell Scopechief 4-14 X 50 AO on it.

All of which have 30/30 reticles. All of them absolutely superb for hunting or target shooting. All of them as precise and precision accurate as they were brand new.

I also have a Hawke Endurance 3-9X42 with a 'German Post' 4a reticle with illuminated dot. Blistering good on my TX200HC and HW97K. I use it like a 30/30 reticle.

None of these scopes are made any more and that's a great pity. The Bushnell Scopechief is the the best air rifle scope I've ever had. It's over ten years old, cost £340 when new but, it still holds its zero and is an amazingly precise rangefinder with its factory-set adjustable focus ring.

Truly they don't make em like that anymore! :cray:

Simon

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 2

To be honest woodcote, yes. Much less complicated and clearer, uncluttered sight picture than mildots and SBC ladder scales; which are brilliant for accurate target shooting. But 30/30 makes for a much better hunting optic BUT it's a personal experience thing. We are not so much hampered by Bullet drop factors as cartridge rifles and ammo are.

I learned a long time ago to shoot on a fixed magnification point on the zoom. :hmm:

I find I shoot on 6X mag with my HW77 at 30 metres zero centre-to-centre on the crosshair. This gives me a precise 40 metres on the holdover point of the post where thin meets thick. Same distance-point further down gives me 50 metres.

Practice makes it perfect.

• Like 1

25 metre zero and a max range of 80 metres or there abouts. I'm getting on and I'm not as good as I once was woodcote. I've shot rabbits at over 100 metres with my HW80 but, those days are gone.

Simon

• Like 1

25 metre zero and a max range of 80 metres or there abouts. I'm getting on and I'm not as good as I once was woodcote. I've shot rabbits at over 100 metres with my HW80 but, those days are gone.

Simon

lol..try it with a pcp and a tri stool as the gun rest :thumbs: but yeh.. them days was good. glad i had them :laugh:

I can still shoot a spring rifle just as well and accurately, as others can with a pcp and my eyesight needs glasses nowadays Ghillies. ;) It's not the rifle that has changed. It's me, old sport! :thumbs:

Edited to add.

I'm thinking my next purchase will be a Bushnell scope for my HW97K. Andy's work has transformed this rifle into a superbly smooth precision accurate air rifle and I need a quality, lightweight optic to match the amazing potential the rifle has.

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 1

I can still shoot a spring rifle just as well and accurately, as others can with a pcp and my eyesight needs glasses nowadays Ghillies. ;) It's not the rifle that has changed. It's me, old sport! :thumbs:

Edited to add.

I'm thinking my next purchase will be a Bushnell scope for my HW97K. Andy's work has transformed this rifle into a superbly smooth precision accurate air rifle and I need a quality, lightweight optic to match the amazing potential the rifle has.

i think the bit about age is we sort of lose that blind faith and lust to 'shoot it' lol..its a lotta effert int it. (nooooo its nev-va age lol) and yeh i still cant get used to glasses...messes yu distance perception up when they go..bloody heart breaking i thought.

first thing i notised about glasses was half your periferal vision is blocked by something in yu eye, i think its the rims some how lol...that and the light reflecting in from the edges etc etc..i can only find fault at the mo, apart from the very very small print :laugh:

Edited by ghillies
  • Like 1

i thought my scope was cheap and nasty,turns out i need glasses,hate wearing them for shooting but when i crane my neck enough to see under the rim the optics are really quiet good,so its either shoot well but miss seeing the shot or see the shot miss the target

nick

• Like 1

@ woodcote 1 I'm looking for a small, compact, lightweight scope for HFT target shooting of around 3-9x40 AO as the ideal spec, shooting on 7x. You really don't need more than that for any air rifle shooting situation to be honest. The Bushnell Scopechief 4-14x50 I have is just fantastic for hunting but. a bit too heavy for the rigours and contortions of HFT on my 97.

Bushnell Elite series are fantastic scopes, Wasted-For-Ever :thumbs:

Simon

Edted to add.

I'm experiencing the same effect as you Nick/Sparky, with wearing glasses and trying to see through a Hawke Endurance 3-9x42 fixed-focus scope I have on my TX200HC .177. Beautiful little scope with a German post 4a reticle. I just have to take the specs off and see a less than perfectly sharp sightpicure through the scope to shoot with it.

Simon

Edited by pianoman