True Bushing Terriers Few And Far Between

csd_88

top class terrier is on a par with any spaniel or hound cross...of course they will go to ground.

thats a bonus not a fault,

top class terrier is on a par with any spaniel or hound cross...of course they will go to ground.

thats a bonus not a fault,

Each to their own. Its the last thing I want in a rabbit bushing terrier. Edited by wuyang

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone that says terriers are bad cover dogs obviously hasn't been out with enough terriers.

My new bushing terrier comes from the 9th generation of working bred terriers who work boar, badger and fox from a nice breeder here on the continent. They work on boar as a pack. Very allround dogs i

I'd rather be out with one or two terriers than a spaniel they both have there good or bad points but a spaniels got more bad ones than the terrier for me a suck as 10000mph at everything which is pus

We have had a variety of terriers over the years and all have bushed well enough with the runners. Some have gone to ground some haven't and they have all been breed from working parents. I don't doubt a good spaniel would do the job just as well and maybe better , but it comes down to liking the breed I suppose. I enjoy the nature of a good terrier, but spaniels and seen plenty are to manic around the house for me, like a dog that switches off isn't too needy

Jmo cheers

• Like 1

i have kept both i find pure spaniels to headless when put gear up and you have the thing with terriers popping down NO PLUS to spoil a days bushing

so ive kept spaniel xs for a good few years now

i have seen some very good bushing terriers but they take alot of stick eyes and ears nose so working them everyday becomes a no no

best first x spaniel x terrier ive had best of both in my eyes

• Like 2

Willow, how tall is she? She looks very cobby, bit like a Brittany.

You mention the eyes/ears/nose which suffer in terriers. Unfortunately one of my bushing terriers isn't blessed with the best (deep) eyes so does suffer in that department so I know what you mean but how would that differ in a spaniel? My buddies cockers would also suffer if they went through those tight spots the terriers will go through.

Well she is 16 inchs work her all day every day no mad smashing retired now just odd day ferreting I've found its down to speed going throu my mate's border Lakeland had bits missing nose ears just to fast crashing but everyman likes a cross what suits them too many pig sets for just s terrier work here as spoils the drives and a good day bushing

The longer the legs I've had on my terriers the more bleeding I've had, also my prickly eared little bitch would bleed. My old little Jack rarely if ever bleeds. She occasionally gets a poorly eye which will half close, but this will clear up in a day or two.

I personally prefer a slow bushing dog, which my current bitch is, I think this also contributes to less injury to the dog.

• Like 2

All these problems associated with bushing terriers,ears,eyes etc..ive either been fortunate or not tested them enough because ive never encountered it worth mentioning,i bush some of the harshest and more difficult terrain and undergrowth,ive seen damage on Spaniels,usually because of their bulk,that the terriers never have issue with,less bulk to crash about with.Ive used a multitude of terrier types and they all served well,my Beddy,s and their hybrids have the edge and I can say with a little honesty that the only issue,apart from the usual scratches and scrapes,as been an infected toe or two,working gorse.

I've got a 3/4 border 1/4 part an he's the best bushing dog I've seen listens like a springer an if he's on a bunnies he bays different then on a fox very loud! An if he goes to ground witch isn't oftern I can call him off!

Hello hunting folk, just want too ask, do you prefer your bushing dogs to work through all cover or just cover that holds game. the reason i ask is my terrier when i first got her was just over seven months and seemed to go through most cover regardless, she is now 13 months old and has started missing cover unless there is scent or something in there, for instance some days she will fly through cover yapping on what is ever in there and on another day she will pay no interest to same area of cover, is this the norm atb daywalker.

Edited by day and night walker

Hello hunting folk, just want too ask, do you prefer your bushing dogs to work through all cover or just cover that holds game. the reason i ask is my terrier when i first got her was just over seven months and seemed to go through most cover regardless, she is now 13 months old and has started missing cover unless there is scent or something in there, for instance some days she will fly through cover yapping on what is ever in there and on another day she will pay no interest to same area of cover, is this the norm atb daywalker.

i like mine to run thru everything just in case, but as they get older an you've seen them miss cover an you've put them in an nothin was in there you start trusting the dog an just letting it work
  • Like 2

i like mine to run thru everything just in case, but as they get older an you've seen them miss cover an you've put them in an nothin was in there you start trusting the dog an just letting it work

If other dogs (runners) are too far forward the Busher can miss game just trying to keep up, thinking it's missing out, keep your runners close and let the Busher lead the pace of the drive/ walk/ mooch.

• Like 1