True Bushing Terriers Few And Far Between

csd_88

I'd rather be out with one or two terriers than a spaniel they both have there good or bad points but a spaniels got more bad ones than the terrier for me a suck as 10000mph at everything which is pushing everything out yards in front of it from the racket and I've never seen one speak which for me is the adrenaline rush when I hear that lol

• Like 5

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone that says terriers are bad cover dogs obviously hasn't been out with enough terriers.

My new bushing terrier comes from the 9th generation of working bred terriers who work boar, badger and fox from a nice breeder here on the continent. They work on boar as a pack. Very allround dogs i

I'd rather be out with one or two terriers than a spaniel they both have there good or bad points but a spaniels got more bad ones than the terrier for me a suck as 10000mph at everything which is pus

• 1 month later...

I'd rather be out with one or two terriers than a spaniel they both have there good or bad points but a spaniels got more bad ones than the terrier for me a suck as 10000mph at everything which is pushing everything out yards in front of it from the racket and I've never seen one speak which for me is the adrenaline rush when I hear that lol

mine used to yip when in pursuit and if trained will only go as far ahead as you allow.

My new bushing terrier comes from the 9th generation of working bred terriers who work boar, badger and fox from a nice breeder here on the continent. They work on boar as a pack. Very allround dogs in that particular line (digging, retrieving, bushing/mooching, tracking wounded deer/boar etc).

The pups dam and sire have each been used on 50 hunts last season both on boar, badger and fox.

When out for boar they now what they are after and do not drop in the first hole they come across. Not only down to the terrier but also down to the handler. A proper terrier should be worked on as much game as possible imho.

Maybe to digging terriermen this kind of allround use is below their standard, I rather like to get as much use from one dog as possible. And running for 20 miles behind a boar through a cornfield in summerheat is as much of a challenge as being below ground next to a fox.

Got any pics ,nice varied hunting you lot are doing by sounds of it ;)

I've always had good success with your average pet Jack Russell's.....granny lap dog style....nothing too hard and serious.

They always seem so natural at bushing, great voice on them and fit in the runs so well.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of terriers bushing ! All the terriers I have seen are slow, mute and a pain in the arse when they sink, not only that bit if you have a few out and carnt keep an eye on everyone you got a good chance of loosing one to ground or even multiple dogs going to ground.

iv bushed with terriers all my life and they really do take some beating,two three four or more terriers working big gauze banks or thick bramble yapping away pushing rabbits out to us who are following with shot guns,for me theres no better sport,also never had any trouble with them dropping to ground.

• Like 1

I've always had good success with your average pet Jack Russell's.....granny lap dog style....nothing too hard and serious.

They always seem so natural at bushing, great voice on them and fit in the runs so well.

a couple of lads i hunt with use this style of jacker and have to say they are hard to beat. move through the cover with ease and yap at the first sight of quarry. dont think any of them have had a problem with these type of terriers dissapearing to ground either. Im assuming the fact that they are so far removed from anything thats been bred for earth work it makes them less likely to drop and so makes them the ideal little bushers they are
  • Like 2
  • 1 year later...

i know your not dissing terriers but you are ignorant of them, read plummers book the fell terrier, read the interview with Joe Armstrong. he ferreted with his terriers, shot over them, dug badger, bolted otters, worked fox, ratted etc.

then go to frank buck, he also shot over and ferreted with his best earth dogs. then check bill crisp, his terrier mischeif also worked otter, badger, fox ,rat, rabbit, hare but also took eels and salmon from the river and was filmed doing it.

then watch several of the warreners films,see terriers, ratting, workng in a pack, being shot over, bolting from drains and earths, bushing,working with ferrets, working with pursenet and longnets.they say mr breay could get a terrier to do near anything for him

many old poachers used a terrier......................................................kev, medlock crew.

• Like 2

I keep a Russel and she suits me fine, gives good voice when close, obedient most the time.. she's small and sometimes slow in cover but does catch, occasionally she'll drop in but can be called out, I wouldn't hesitate about getting another for a cover dog, Often makes a dull walk great sport.

• Like 1

Anyone have troubles with the terriers going deaf on the scent when out bushing?

if theres a rabbit or a fox in a ditch or small bit of cover and my terrier gets a fresh draw well youd be better of talking to a tree. Also my bitch has a big problem with going to ground and theres no calling her out. So i was thinking of putting a cocker over her would the pups go to ground to?