Best Days Bushing / Bushing Tales.

Was sat at work bored today, thinking back over some of the days out bushing (or mooching) that I have had, just out with man (or men) and dogs, in the day, seeing what could be stirred up. Sometimes it's surprising.

So I was hoping to hear some of your stories, or at least some stories of the days that stick in your memory.

I'll kick off with one, from last season. Not the best day in terms of bag size etc, but a real memorable one for various reasons.

I think it was last season. although being honest it may have been the season before. I woke up early doors, and set off to pick up another member off here (who shall remain nameless . . . . . ). We had with us a small team of dogs, a motley assortment of runners. We made our way to our permission of choice for the day, music on loud and good chat flowing. The sun was beginning to shine and cut through the morning mist which had rolled up from the river. The farm in question is a series of flat fields, part of a flood plain, inter cut with small streams or channels, and scrubby hedges, with patches of reed and bramble dotted about, a nice place to have a wander on a morning. We arrived at the farm, nodded to the collies and Newzealand huntaway that were lounging about the yard, and unboxing the dogs, set off.

Strolling down the track, the dogs spread out, working the hedge rows, and patches of cover, following short lines, as they crossed the track and generally larking about and blowing off some steam. As we turned into the fields, they began to get more businesslike, settling down and casting about for scent. Soon enough they were hunting a rabbit up and down the hedge, before losing it to ground. We continued on like this for a couple of hours, knocking rabbits about the cover, flushing the odd pheasant, and generally shooting the breeze, while the dogs did their thing. After a while, we were rewarded with the first much deserved catch of the day, a rabbit who decided he would make a break just that too far into the open, and paid the price, scooped up by an old lurcher that really knows the score.

We continued on, mooching a long the bank of one of the streams, when the dogs suddenly heated up, noses down, tails moving hypnotically, their speed picking up as the concentration on their face increased. Suddenly there was a brown flash. MINK! Pushed from a bush tight on the bank, but unable to reach water, it shot straight up the nearest tree, like lightening. Finally coming to rest about twenty feet or more up, where it could go no further. The dogs danced around the base, in and out of the stream, eyes upward, their quarry hissing down like a snake.

Now, at this point, I thought this Mink had got the better of us. . . . my friend had other ideas. "Give us a boost" he declared, who was I to argue? I hoisted him up to the first branch, and off he went, like a spider monkey, up and up, from branch to ever thinner branch. The dogs were wondering what was afoot and the mink was thinking, "come on then, bring it!". Eventually my friend drew level with the mink, who shot out a long a branch and then turned to face him. He paused, looking at it, and then drew himself up onto the branch, balanced like a tight rope walker, with only the surrounding flimsy branches to grab onto. At this point I was thinking . . . . . "do I have a first aid kit in the car?". He moved a few steps a long, and him and the mink faced off. . . . like a pair of duelling mexicans, eyeing each other up. . . . . looking for weakness. After a few long moments of silence and stillness. . . . the Mink charged, and so did my friend :laugh:. There was a brief grapple and luckily it was the furry critter that was unbalanced, my friend remaining clinging to the branch, as it dived out of the tree, aiming for the water. Luckily, the whippet had his eye on the ball. . . . .so to speak. As the Mink shot downwards, he jumped beneath it open jawed (obviously at this point I shot it with my catapult, keeping within the law, unfortunately only winging it), snapping his teeth shut as it made impact with his head. Several furious shakes and a bit of squealing later and it was all over for mister mink.

We continued our walk, with a spring in our steps, and the dogs bouncing. They worked well, the rest of the day, managing to account for another two rabbits, one being expertly nailed by a young black lurcher, who leapt the patch of cover like a race horse to come down on top of her quarry fleeing from the other side.

We returned home for a celebratory cup of tea and a smoke, and then went our separate ways :thumbs:

Like I said, not the biggest of bags. . . . . but an occasion that will stick in my mind for ever and one in which i learnt that my hunting partner truly is a nutter :laugh: I think we're well suited :thumbs:

IMG_0407-1_zps492ccbac.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

• Like 12

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cracking read mate.   This day was a few years aga now pre-ban obviously. Me and two others had organised a day out onto a huge tract of wasteland that Holds all sorts. This bit of landis mainly ru

Was sat at work bored today, thinking back over some of the days out bushing (or mooching) that I have had, just out with man (or men) and dogs, in the day, seeing what could be stirred up. Sometimes

one what sticks out for me was on a late winter afternoon before the ban,...............a little bit of a miserable day ...normal walk along the river,...turned into a great bit of sport what involved

that was a good oul read I seen a lot of them mink in the river moy but not many up here.

Cheers pal :thumbs:

First and last one i've seen on that farm, which is what also made it a memorable day :victory: He was a big old dog mink. :thumbs:

BEEN GOING DOWN TO A MEMBER OFF HERE LAST SEASON FOR DAYS BUSHING..

HOUND,TERRIERS AN LURCHERS

LOAD OF LADS FROM BY RS TOO..

ALWAYS HAD GOOD DAYS DOWN THERE

AND HAVE A BOSS LAUGH TOO...:)...

BEEN GOING DOWN TO A MEMBER OFF HERE LAST SEASON FOR DAYS BUSHING..

HOUND,TERRIERS AN LURCHERS

LOAD OF LADS FROM BY RS TOO..

ALWAYS HAD GOOD DAYS DOWN THERE

AND HAVE A BOSS LAUGH TOO... :)...

Sounds good mate :thumbs:

Tell us some tales?

see know you,v gone and up set me again ideation ! that was a great write up and i was right there with you both and the dogs! i,vover the years had little packs of dogs, only two or three but had great fun with them (i,m racking my brains trying to think of a memerable day like yours but we,ll come back to that ) anyway not many weeks ago i had to have my thirteen year old beddy/whippet pts leaving me with only her five year old daughter. in the short time she,s been on her own she has become a different dog, more confident and perhaps a better worker, so i was determined to work her alone for the first time this ferreting season and not rush out and bye another pup but now i,m thinking i should add a nice little spaniel x terrier perhaps, happy hunting, cheers plum !

Edited by luckyplum

Great read ideation :thumbs:

Only ever caught two mink round my way: both males, though I know there's plenty about: they usually scarper to the top of the thorny bushes and cling to the top twigs like squirrels: impossible to dislodge when there's no way to get in there without a complete suit of kevlar to protect you :laugh: Really need a catapult!

Love it,..real nice post Ideation.. :clapper:

I've spent YEARS,...just monging, mouchin and generally being a wanderer,.....simply having a relaxed walk out, armed with a few keen jukels,....and in my opinion,.there is no sport to compare with it ..

This kind of activity suits the very young,..and is still ideal for the very old... :laugh:

No rules or regulations,..no pressure,....just having the craic....

Got a lifetime of tales to tell,....but I need time to do so,.and these days,,.time is running out fast.. :yes: .

Great to hear about such things though,.please continue lads.. :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 5

Only ever caught two mink round my way: both males, though I know there's plenty about: they usually scarper to the top of the thorny bushes and cling to the top twigs like squirrels: impossible to dislodge when there's no way to get in there without a complete suit of kevlar to protect you :laugh: Really need a catapult!

If you remind me next time im coming up your way i'll drop you one off, I have far too many - i enjoy making them as much as shooting them (and im better at it!) lol

If you remind me next time im coming up your way i'll drop you one off, I have far too many - i enjoy making them as much as shooting them (and im better at it!) lol

Cheers :thumbs: But how will I know when you are coming up this way? :laugh:

Guest foxpack

had some great days out with through invite with some lads with a bushing pack ,been on fox drives and on mixed bag drives,seen a lot of gear and some cracking dogs working .mainly beagle x blooded dogs.i would be out more with them if i could find the time. :thumbs:

Caramelo2_apl_zps5f0de692.jpg

269279_443220479089741_1964536906_n_zpsc

to_zpsa40b62bc-1_zps89036d92.jpg

:thumbs:

• Like 3

had some great days out with through invite with some lads with a bushing pack ,been on fox drives and on mixed bag drives,seen a lot of gear and some cracking dogs working .mainly beagle x blooded dogs.i would be out more with them if i could find the time. :thumbs:

Caramelo2_apl_zps5f0de692.jpg

269279_443220479089741_1964536906_n_zpsc

to_zpsa40b62bc-1_zps89036d92.jpg

:thumbs:

Dont they look the part