Great Huntsmen

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well lads great huntsmen,they are not born over night,the same as any trade there is a apprenticeship without a older head on board you are going to have problems,when you first start at the bottom as

One of the main problems is that in the past, to become a huntsman you had to start at the bottom and work your way up until you became the huntsman to one of the smaller pack's, do a few seasons and

Not only are fell and most foot pack differant to there mounted counterparts they are funded differently , selction of staff at mounted pack can be by the master masters , on recommendation , i. D

a great huntsmen needs to know each individual hound inside out and of coarse know the land (too date)...........he must have a plan of action for the days hunt and a change according too factors such as weather or farmer not wanting stock disturbed............he / she must be very co operative and let people know his plans for that day ,............and try and position followers in suitable positions such as roads or keeping an eye out for any antis.............obviously you would think with exspereince they should be getting better but it does make you wander sometimes..............they should be easy too get on with and very confident and have good manners to build good relationships with land owners..........obviously a good rider and good controller of the hounds who draws cover accordingly ,...........knowing with the wind and direction of which way the drag is going to be hunted.........he must have good contact with the field master and tell him of how he wants the field lined up to help the hunt....................his knowledge of hound work must be second to none and bringing the hounds back on line is essencial..........he must be relaxed and let the hounds work accordingly giving vocal commands to help there drawing and finding...........he must have great respect for his quarry and the countryside and always do his best too give the hounds the best possible guidance to get results ...................he must be patient on marks,...........let the hounds mark until help is there ,..........keep them keen and know the hounds pitch of voice on different scents.........for me if a day is planned well with the rest of the field and masters and of course the terriermen ,..........(I mean nobody knows which way the drag will head),......but drawing scheduled places as a planned effort will no doubt have some great results as every person is involved ,....it may be very little but very effective as a hunting pack and followers will know how they can help..........

• Like 1

a great huntsmen needs to know each individual hound inside out and of coarse know the land (too date)...........he must have a plan of action for the days hunt and a change according too factors such as weather or farmer not wanting stock disturbed............he / she must be very co operative and let people know his plans for that day ,............and try and position followers in suitable positions such as roads or keeping an eye out for any antis.............obviously you would think with exspereince they should be getting better but it does make you wander sometimes..............they should be easy too get on with and very confident and have good manners to build good relationships with land owners..........obviously a good rider and good controller of the hounds who draws cover accordingly ,...........knowing with the wind and direction of which way the drag is going to be hunted.........he must have good contact with the field master and tell him of how he wants the field lined up to help the hunt....................his knowledge of hound work must be second to none and bringing the hounds back on line is essencial..........he must be relaxed and let the hounds work accordingly giving vocal commands to help there drawing and finding...........he must have great respect for his quarry and the countryside and always do his best too give the hounds the best possible guidance to get results ...................he must be patient on marks,...........let the hounds mark until help is there ,..........keep them keen and know the hounds pitch of voice on different scents.........for me if a day is planned well with the rest of the field and masters and of course the terriermen ,..........(I mean nobody knows which way the drag will head),......but drawing scheduled places as a planned effort will no doubt have some great results as every person is involved ,....it may be very little but very effective as a hunting pack and followers will know how they can help..........

Thats what i said :whistling:

Back in the good old days, we would only let them mark till most the hounds were present, if left too it for too long you'll have alot of problems with toes/nails, country depending.

• Like 1

Thats what i said :whistling:

im terrible for not reading lol

nothing better than a nice cold Saturday morning following the hunt, i go watch a few here in yorkshire and the best one i find is York & Ainsty North Hunt, hounds always look in tiptop health, there huntsman is the best i have seen.