Wat Makes A Good Bushing Dog?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a bushing terrier going back a couple of years and whilst she was a very fiesty terrier with a good nose, she would hunt up on scent fields away and had very poor recall when she was on a scent.

dont think id ever get mine to retrive. im lucky to get things ofvher before there ragged to bits.

For what I do and the land I work. . . . .this is what I (think) I require. . . .   A dog that. . . .   Will face any cover, with determination.   Will give tongue when on a good line and when q

Posted Images

Not quiet paulus in the long grass she sits up on her back legs funny as fcuk hahsut can it

But can it do a Mata Haria impression :laugh:

Winner :toast::laugh:

14 this year and still a tart :laugh::laugh:

You can`t say that about my pups great granny lol

Not quiet paulus in the long grass she sits up on her back legs funny as fcuk hahsut can it

But can it do a Mata Haria impression :laugh:

Winner :toast::laugh:

14 this year and still a tart :laugh::laugh:

You can`t say that about my pups great granny lol

but can his father and grand father work thick cover :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Perfect bushing dog for me would be: not necessarily in this order ...

Continually looking for scent, both air and ground scent.

Hunts on own initiative but also willing to take commands. In other words, if I hiss cos I've seen something, it will be back to me in a second and go into the cover where I tell it ..unless it is on a hot line of course!

Work any cover, small or large, wet or dry.

Intelligent enough not to mess about in a bramble when the rabbit's already bolted: got a terrier here that isn't too bad, but slow and wastes a lot of time desperately searching for something that has already bolted.

Retrieves what it catches.

Small enough to get under a bramble, but big enough to get through long grass etc without getting lost or mislaid :laugh:

Skin like a rhino: very important in brambles and nettle beds.

Deep set eyes that don't get swiped by thorns too easily.

I haven't mentioned giving tongue as although it is useful in big tracts of cover, not essential if there are lurchers covering the outside as their hearing is better than mine and they're usually in the right place when something bolts: unless we are operating in force 8 gales in which case the quarry can't hear much either and is more likely to be caught in cover!

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

a bushing dog and a all rounder are two different dogs to me. i read on this site recently a description of a bushing dog that was identical to a field trial spaniel ? drop to shot ?

a bushing dog to me is a dog that works in a bobbery pack, its job is finding in rough cover and working in a pack. i dont train my dogs, sit, stay, retrieve etc. they are kept as a pack, i wont have ignorant deaf dogs, mine are all obedient without being

properly trained up.

an all-rounder is a different sort again, working cover is a part of its work but not all of it. they do need training up.

you can bush with one dog but to me a real bushing dog is a pack dog and though we call it bushing really its about

bobbery packs.

kev-medlock crew

there will never be a perfect bushing dog as every man likes dogs to do diffrent things as said many time some people like spaniel xs beagle x mixture of both some like a terrier x or even pure

every dog hunts to is land and gear BUT as long as they get stuff out of the cover thats good enough :thumbs: for me it is

• Like 1

TP,im nearly in agreement with you,yet,the best bushing jukel ive ever owned,a Bedlington,did it on her own for at least 4 seasons,circumstances and her reluctance to let a dog service her dictated.She was a one dog bushing crew that managed to put more in front of the lurchers than anything else ive ever had the fortune to see,ive a full team now,the majority bred directly from her,finally,yet even as a team,as bushing should be,the old lass managed solo.Sometimes people do not have the luxury of a crew and still manage to shift things about with a solo artiste.

TP,im nearly in agreement with you,yet,the best bushing jukel ive ever owned,a Bedlington,did it on her own for at least 4 seasons,circumstances and her reluctance to let a dog service her dictated.She was a one dog bushing crew that managed to put more in front of the lurchers than anything else ive ever had the fortune to see,ive a full team now,the majority bred directly from her,finally,yet even as a team,as bushing should be,the old lass managed solo.Sometimes people do not have the luxury of a crew and still manage to shift things about with a solo artiste.

Morton do you have any pics of your dogs, always been curious about bedlingtons and their hybrids.