Wat Makes A Good Bushing Dog?

as above wat do you look for in ur dogs? theres the obivious things like good nose giving voice stamina etc..

somthing i like about my own dog is versatility. she will run with hounds. i can use her for beating on phesant shoots.work with lurchers. ratting with other dogs. rough shooting. and shes been known to bolt the odd fox. l

• Like 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a bushing terrier going back a couple of years and whilst she was a very fiesty terrier with a good nose, she would hunt up on scent fields away and had very poor recall when she was on a scent.

dont think id ever get mine to retrive. im lucky to get things ofvher before there ragged to bits.

For what I do and the land I work. . . . .this is what I (think) I require. . . .   A dog that. . . .   Will face any cover, with determination.   Will give tongue when on a good line and when q

Posted Images

I haven't got a dedicated bushing dog ATM but my Lurcher isn't afraid If the thick stuff and what I like us she doesn't mind jumping straight in doesn't mine ditches full of brambles and water do does me ok but as u say versatility is a damn good thing in my book be able to adapt to the days work of course jmo Atb Tom :)

I had a bushing terrier going back a couple of years and whilst she was a very fiesty terrier with a good nose, she would hunt up on scent fields away and had very poor recall when she was on a scent.

She would be bushing stuff out 3 fields away and the lurchers were with me!

So personally I need and want the following...

- Work close by and if she starts wandering too far a quick whistle gets her back close in.

- Makes noise when on something in cover to alert the lurchers that something is about to bolt.

- Happy to grab game in cover and hedgerow bottoms etc.

I also wanted a general family companion when i started looking for my latest bushing dog. The lurchers are great but they are both kennel dogs and i wanted something i could have in the house, let us know when someone is around at night, let me know if anyone comes in the back garden where the kennels are etc. So a good temperament and obedience is a must.

I also like a spot of ratting so a versatile dog that can turn its hand to multiple tasks is a must.

I might just of found what i was looking for in my new russell bitch but time will tell :thumbs:

• Like 2

She would be bushing stuff out 3 fields away and the lurchers were with me!

So personally I need and want the following...

- Work close by and if she starts wandering too far a quick whistle gets her back close in.

- Makes noise when on something in cover to alert the lurchers that something is about to bolt.

- Happy to grab game in cover and hedgerow bottoms etc.

I also wanted a general family companion when i started looking for my latest bushing dog. The lurchers are great but they are both kennel dogs and i wanted something i could have in the house, let us know when someone is around at night, let me know if anyone comes in the back garden where the kennels are etc. So a good temperament and obedience is a must.

I also like a spot of ratting so a versatile dog that can turn its hand to multiple tasks is a must.

I might just of found what i was looking for in my new russell bitch but time will tell :thumbs:

Sounds like you know what u need pal and good luck in finding it :)
  • Like 1

As said lurchers will do the job but a ideal bushing dog needs nose drive and will catch game but also you need them.to work as a team so the lurcher is in the right place at the right time seen loads of bunnys fly passed me when my lurchers are hunting the cover and I do like a bushing dog to give a bit of tounge when they located thier quarry

• Like 1