Somerset Buck

This is a shortened version because my lap top has closed the script pad twice and im now pissed off .

Down at matts yesterday evening stalking this beautiful valley .

SAM_1282.jpg

From here we could see a buck and doe sat roughly middle of the far grass bank and to the right a bit .

After an age of watching the pair the doe got up for a stretch,but not so the buck .It was only when a doe appeared to our left barking that he decided to get up for a better look.[Pic of doe now fails to load ,fecking thing ] and I shot him through the upper chest at a respectable range that Matt will confirm hopefully ,roughly 140yds .

SAM_1297.jpg

The head is a cracker and I wish the script I had first done was up as this does him no justice at all .A malform 7 pointer of some size.

as we made in to it around the point of the corn field ,another buck jumped the hedge to run down n front of us and up the far bank .I shouted and Matt shot him off pod through the neck.

SAM_1290.jpg

Dragged them together for the gralloch

SAM_1299.jpg

Went from here to another of his farms to try for a charlie aound the chicken pens .Short version again is that I had one off some cut grass .

SAM_1306.jpg

Apologies to all for a shaby write up and most of all to Matt who deserved better and many thanks mate for another cracking trip out .

• Like 1

My pleasure mate - one of those evenings where everything somehow happened to work out for the best. Any other time a persistent doe barking and stamping 5 meters from you would probably have had a different result! A very nice shot as well, he wasn't hanging about and it was plain to see his intention was to make the hedgerow, fortunately showing a broadside and at 160 meters it was a great result. Chancing a neck shot at that range as he couched would have tempted a more inpatient & inexperienced stalker and I take my hat off to you for waiting it out and running the risk of the light fading and leaving him for another day.

I see you failed to mention the midges. I remember lying prone in the grass watching him whilst several stones bored into me and a hum of midges feasted on me. I wound the bins back to focus on you 10 meters away and was happy to see your eyes tight shut and jaw clenched whilst they danced over you too!