Small Lurcher

This thread is great!!! I've not be ferreting for long and have been thinking of getting a dog, but my harris hawk is not great around them. We have bred bulldogs (yes, couch potatoes with no purpose!) for a number of years now and I thought we did a lot of research before deciding on correct breeding. But you guys seem to really know your stuff and have been trying out various crosses to get the best type for the job. Well done!!

Hopefully I could teach my harris to get on with a dog.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

11 wks 3/4 Whippet x 1/4 Granitor Bedlington.

Everyone always talks about beddy x whippets.   Be nice to see some more collie x whippets?   Have you thought about a pure whippet? Mine does pretty well at ferreting

From what I have seen, a half x collie/grey or similar type, put back to a good whippet, seems to throw nice pups. I think the collie/whippet 1st x breeding would be very hit or miss, I would imagine

This thread is great!!! I've not be ferreting for long and have been thinking of getting a dog, but my harris hawk is not great around them. We have bred bulldogs (yes, couch potatoes with no purpose!) for a number of years now and I thought we did a lot of research before deciding on correct breeding. But you guys seem to really know your stuff and have been trying out various crosses to get the best type for the job. Well done!!

i read a good article the other day written by martin holllinstead using ferrets hawks and a dog. the dog of his choice is a border collie. well worth a read. type in google martin hollinstead hawks ferrets and dogs see what you think :thumbs:

i read a good article the other day written by martin holllinstead using ferrets hawks and a dog. the dog of his choice is a border collie. well worth a read. type in google martin hollinstead hawks ferrets and dogs see what you think :thumbs:

Thanks darbo

I read this a while back but have never liked border collies that much. I love the athletic look of the whippet x's and lurchers, very sleek dogs!

Thanks darbo

I read this a while back but have never liked border collies that much. I love the athletic look of the whippet x's and lurchers, very sleek dogs!

No problem. ive ferreted since the 80s saw some very good ferreting dogs at work over the years.some very good collie crosses and beddy crosses. :thumbs:

I,ve had lurchers all my life but the best ferreting dog I have had was called Jay, 3/4 whippet 1/8 greyhound 1/8 collie . Very clever very quick. Miss him ferreting all though my whippet x now is v. good he,s not a patch on that old blue dog.

have worked both crosses, the whippet and the Greyhound. both were decent rabbiting dogs.

preferred the Beddy x Greyhound on the lamp,

but for ferreting work i preferred the Beddy X Whippet and the 3/4 Whippet X Bedlington.

but both crosses will do the job.

The problem with collie x whippets is that when a lot of us were forming our opinions on which type of dog would suit us best the only reading material on the subject said they were no good so we tended to dismiss them without any first hand knowledge.

However, you'll usually find that those who've had them really rate them.

It's the same old predictable answer( beddy whippet) really? I am sure there are some good ones and I have only seen one personally out ferreting that was pretty good. For the rabbiting game where I live I would opt for a stronger dog that can carry a heavy rabbit, take the knocks, has strong feet and wrists, not be hard mouthed and have decent skin and coat. So I would opt for a collie x grey with maybe a dash of whippet just to bring the size down or better a dog bred from parents who do this for several seasons to a good standard regardless of cross.

Just my tuppence worth.

Edited by Sirius

Same here lurchers about 21 and a half tts and shes a great marking dog and picks them up coming out the holes but she can move about in the large bramble patches at speed as well picking them up