Guest thebigdog

handling class is this for real !what happened to the good old fashioned terrier\lurcher show that was relaxed and a pleasent day out to chat and enjoy the break in the off season it all seems to be getting to serious and the way people get on about this lurcher racing its getting out of hand if you s are that interested and serious about racing get yourselfs a few greyhound s and get out amoungst the big boys on a race night round drumbo dundalk lifford or shelbourn park !

It would be a poor turn out at a show without the folk with the race bred dogs

£3 into the handing class to tell who is the best walking a dog round a ring,

aye but sometimes less is more :thumbs:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

handling class is this for real !what happened to the good old fashioned terrier\lurcher show that was relaxed and a pleasent day out to chat and enjoy the break in the off season it all seems to be g

i dont usually post on these topics as im sort of in all camps lol,im not interested in an argument ,my views are from all sides as i work my dogs all season show and race in the summer and run a show

working terrier\lurcher shows are nt what they used to be for obvious reasons but its still a place for men\lads with working dogs to take there young pups along or old retired dogs for a bit of a loo

It's all down to the ban and restrictions on hunting I myself love having the dogs and get it hard to give them up wit the hunting limited in some areas and not as much freedom in the countryside these days,showing and racing is a good way of keeping your crew active in the summer months

• Like 1
Guest thebigdog

It's all down to the ban and restrictions on hunting I myself love having the dogs and get it hard to give them up wit the hunting limited in some areas and not as much freedom in the countryside these days,showing and racing is a good way of keeping your crew active in the summer months

there's no ban here :icon_eek:

Its all down to what YOU want in your OWN dog not what you think others should be doing with their dogs. If the racing scene and purpose bred racing type lurchers upset you then don't race your dog simples .I for one am fed up with guys coming on here and running each other down or running shows down just because their own idea of what a dog should be doing is not what some one else's is. too many times on here I hear the same old shite about these dogs are bag chasers ect ect and a lurchers worth is judged in the fields. If you value and judge your dog on its worth in the fields that's great but why do you enter it in races then complain that it was beaten by a dog that was purpose bred for racing? Lads people keep dogs for many different reasons some for hunting only some for racing only some for showing only. If yours is for hunting, the racing /showing end of things should not bother you and vice versa. No point running everyone down and generally spitting the dummy's out just because others keep the same breed as you but for a different purpose.There are many different pigeon fanciers out there for instance, some like endurance birds some like straight racing others like just keeping pigeons who's right and who's wrong? lurcher men and women are no different and no-one is right or wrong in my book My own dogs are for hunting first and foremost but I still give them a crack at the racing and showing and take it for what it is, a day out with my dogs and family. What happens when we are all too old to hunt do we just give up on the whole scene and get the slippers out? I for one, hope to still manage a lap round a show ring or stand and watch my dog run a race :cray:

• Like 5

Its all down to what YOU want in your OWN dog not what you think others should be doing with their dogs. If the racing scene and purpose bred racing type lurchers upset you then don't race your dog simples .I for one am fed up with guys coming on here and running each other down or running shows down just because their own idea of what a dog should be doing is not what some one else's is. too many times on here I hear the same old shite about these dogs are bag chasers ect ect and a lurchers worth is judged in the fields. If you value and judge your dog on its worth in the fields that's great but why do you enter it in races then complain that it was beaten by a dog that was purpose bred for racing? Lads people keep dogs for many different reasons some for hunting only some for racing only some for showing only. If yours is for hunting, the racing /showing end of things should not bother you and vice versa. No point running everyone down and generally spitting the dummy's out just because others keep the same breed as you but for a different purpose.There are many different pigeon fanciers out there for instance, some like endurance birds some like straight racing others like just keeping pigeons who's right and who's wrong? lurcher men and women are no different and no-one is right or wrong in my book My own dogs are for hunting first and foremost but I still give them a crack at the racing and showing and take it for what it is, a day out with my dogs and family. What happens when we are all too old to hunt do we just give up on the whole scene and get the slippers out? I for one, hope to still manage a lap round a show ring or stand and watch my dog run a race :cray:

soon as they put the word WORKING dog show. then yes the show should be for workers.....if its to race and argue with 1 another which seems to be happening every summer...just call them dog shows and cut the word WORKING out of the title...just my opinion....

• Like 4

soon as they put the word WORKING dog show. then yes the show should be for workers.....if its to race and argue with 1 another which seems to be happening every summer...just call them dog shows and cut the word WORKING out of the title...just my opinion....

Fair comment!!!!

I'm heading out to my local working man's club. Think i'll ask them to kick everyone out who doesn't work.........i'll probably end up getting lynched but all the men on benefits :laugh:

It may be worth while when drawing the names for heats, writting out the heats on something that can be pinned up, ticking heats off as you go so people can see there races coming up and be ready for their heat.

On Sat Dessie's stopping the racing at 1.30 to run the showing on time, then finishing what racings left after. Its not an option that everyone will be happy with, but its worth trailing.

WHEN DRAWING THE NAMES FOR HEATS ?

You have how many dogs in each heat? 4,5or6? Ok times that by 4heats and you have a bag with 16,20 or 24 numbers in the bag,the owner enters the dog and draws the number there and then and knows the race is going to be within 4 races from all the numbers being drawn out of the bag.these heats are run while the numbers are put back in the bag and redrawn for the next 4heats and so on,the first 4 heat winners make up the next round in the order that they ran

no messing about waiting till all entries are booked in to start racing thats ridiculous and time wasting

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1

Well put

Fair comment!!!!

I'm heading out to my local working man's club. Think i'll ask them to kick everyone out who doesn't work.........i'll probably end up getting lynched but all the men on benefits :laugh:

well then they should start there own club maybe allergic to work club !

• Like 1

working terrier\lurcher shows are nt what they used to be for obvious reasons but its still a place for men\lads with working dogs to take there young pups along or old retired dogs for a bit of a look round and have a chat to like minded men about what sort of season they had what young dogs there running on etc etc but theres people and they know who they are that treat the WORKING DOG SHOWS as there main reason for keeping dogs they actually dont even work there dogs during the winter months and there season so to speak only starts this time of year rosette season !fooking mystifies me theres plenty of proper shows and show dogs these people could get involved in because as i ve said before the honest working dog is on a slippery slope and weather they realise it or not these people are helping to push them further on down that slope imo

• Like 6

working terrier\lurcher shows are nt what they used to be for obvious reasons but its still a place for men\lads with working dogs to take there young pups along or old retired dogs for a bit of a look round and have a chat to like minded men about what sort of season they had what young dogs there running on etc etc but theres people and they know who they are that treat the WORKING DOG SHOWS as there main reason for keeping dogs they actually dont even work there dogs during the winter months and there season so to speak only starts this time of year rosette season !fooking mystifies me theres plenty of proper shows and show dogs these people could get involved in because as i ve said before the honest working dog is on a slippery slope and weather they realise it or not these people are helping to push them further on down that slope imo

well said dee... look at the end of the day most of the people who argue on here about shows are really more worried who won a race or a rosette...not what there dog done during the winter months.... a lurchers real test is in the field twisting turning and hopefully catching there quarry...and if its a lurcher used for fox control then yes a quick dispatch is also very important for it to be done humanely... and if its a terrier then he should be out in the wind, the rain sleet snow, living for what he was meant to do and that is to face a very worthy advisary underground.....

Now vermin catcher if you want to be witty about things and say bar all the men in a working mens club who dont work.... yes your right ...what are you doing in a working mans club if you on the dole then yes..like a working dog show if they dont work then in my opinion they shouldnt be there lol.. and who would have the neck to go into a working mans club...if his whole life was spent on the dole...

• Like 3

Oh so very true about how shows used to be and when did you see a whippet at these shows? Rarely if at all and Im talking shows in Ireland.So whats the attraction in lurcher and terrier shows (which are working breeds)to these people? MONEY you never won that at working dog shows a bag of dog food if you were lucky but cant recall any bitching like todays shows

Y.I.S Leeview

A LURCHER IS A SIGHT HOUND CROSSED WITH ANOTHER TYPE OF DOG BUT A LOT OF THESE RACERS OR NOT LURCHERS AS WHEN 2 SIGHT HOUNDS ARE CROSSED IT IS CALLED A LONG DOG NOT A LURCHER. I THINK A LOT OF IT IS THE SHOWS OWN FAULT AS THEY PUT IN A WORKING CLASS THAT GIVES THE REST ALL DAY TO SHOW , THE ONLY DOGS IN THE FIELD NOT WORKING SHOULD BE PUPS OR A RETIRED DOG PERIOD.

• Like 1

there's no ban here :icon_eek:

• Like 1