Substituting Saluki Blood For Greyhound Blood.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The greyhound is one of the fastest animals on the planet. This is why people use them for dog racing. People are fascinated with speed, whether that's greyhounds, horses, cheetahs or Usain Bolt. Spee

If I had a bitch that lacked speed would I breed it to a greyhound?...... No! If I had a bitch that lacked stamina would I breed it to a saluki?...... No!   If I had a bitch that lacked any one of

The dogs that are killing good hares on the big land, generally, can catch them anywhere......they're going to have the speed and the coursing brain for sure...... The average lurcher ain't going to

baw, you say a hare outruns a running dog that has stamina but lacking speed a little and is well gone...........what about a beagle or harrier ? hardly a running dog they get outrun initially but nose and stamina takeover and the hare has no chance, ive seen them run to a bloody nosed standstill by a spaniel

Would you class that as coursing?
so when does coursing become hunting? if we do it for the sport.....fastest to fastest would give the most spectacular maybe not the most successful but if we do it for the kill why not cross a greyhound with a beagle to get nose and stamina?
Coursing is the use of a SIGHT hound or similar lurcher to catch a hare. It's all about chasing the quarry in close proximity of you so you can see what's happening. To follow a beagle on a trail of a hare you'd need some kind of transport like a horse to keep up. It's a whole different form of hunting. We like dogs that can hunt up a hare within say 100 meters not 1/2 mile away then take to the next county to catch it. Not everyone has the luxury of having mile upon mile of permission. As for crossing the beagle, yes it will add good nose and stamina but these aren't always desireable in such large amounts. One of the worst traits to a lurcherman is a dog hunting up on its own accord. I feel this is what would happen. I also think the dog would be too heavy for serious coursing and with a lot of stamina, the pay off is drop in speed. The dog would probably be too slow. I don't know cos I've never seen one but because of the reasons I've said, I'll never risk owning one.

you've contradicted yourself bud, 1st sentence 'catch' 2nd sentence 'all about chasing' it can't be both.......one of the best traits in a lurcher (as opposed to a more chaser of game longdog) for me is the ability to hunt up, this with a little effort, training and restraint can be used to a hunters advantage ie working cover or nets, i only used the extreme example of beagle / fellhound to exemplify the point that its horses for courses, my collie cross that admittedly for traditional coursing lacks a top gear does more for me than a dog bred for centuries to course game on vast plains and deserts however fast or stamina packed they may be.

f***ing hell, I've been patient with you but honest, your hard work. I never contradicted myself, coursing is all about using a dog to CATCH hares. You need to CHASE the hare to do that AND as I stated in the rest of the sentence, ideally you want to be able to see the CHASE and for that matter the CATCH, comprendi? The rest of your post well, if your happy then I'm ecstatic :thumbs:

i always thought coursing was about the sport, about testing one good dog against a good hare or one dog against another where the catch is really unimportant, thats why i asked the difference between hunting and coursing

i always thought coursing was about the sport, about testing one good dog against a good hare or one dog against another where the catch is really unimportant, thats why i asked the difference between hunting and coursing

Ahhhh that's the million dollar question. To me coursing is running a hare with a lurcher type dog. Greyhound coursing is obviously different. On here you'd think that coursing is only coursing if its on the fens.

Ahhhh that's the million dollar question. To me coursing is running a hare with a lurcher type dog. Greyhound coursing is obviously different. On here you'd think that coursing is only coursing if its on the fens.

you can course, anywhere theres hares in my book , mind someplaces its harder to get them put too course than it is in the fens where it suits both quarry and pursuer better, some places its a real chew just to get them to course, not just being tail chased but I mean when the dogs right in em and puts in pressure etc all good craic anyhow, the fens just one of the better places to watch the run/course

you can course, anywhere theres hares in my book , mind someplaces its harder to get them put too course than it is in the fens where it suits both quarry and pursuer better, some places its a real chew just to get them to course, not just being tail chased but I mean when the dogs right in em and puts in pressure etc all good craic anyhow, the fens just one of the better places to watch the run/course

Yea mate agree with that. In my view though, the fens only got so popular due to gambling/matching and being able to prove if the dog got it or not. Now you'd think it was the holly shrowd. Yes there will be dogs that can't catch on them but there will be equal if not more good fen dogs can't catch elsewhere.

. Yes there will be dogs that can't catch on them but there will be equal if not more good fen dogs can't catch elsewhere.

That's a big statement to make......have you come to that conclusion from watching dogs run on both types of land?

• Like 1

I reckon that soon as money comes into it , honest and integrity move into a poor second place ,even worse when 'reputations' are on the line as some see the dog as an extension of themselves, slips get shorter and walks get longer to find the perfect hare, buy yeah your right the fens the pace to match a dog as both men can see most the runs and kills , well most the time lol, also best place to test themand get a proper read on your dog where ya can watch courser properly,, when you spend time runnign hares other places that ya maybe dont see as much of the course cos of land type, so maybe dont see best or worst your dog ha to offer, mind theres loads big bits of land all,over uk and scotland where theres a bit less hassle than fen

• Like 1

. Yes there will be dogs that can't catch on them but there will be equal if not more good fen dogs can't catch elsewhere.

That's a big statement to make......have you come to that conclusion from watching dogs run on both types of land?

The real un's kill em just as well anywhere, they just few and far between, but theres deffo dogs that excel on certain land types and woukld maybe perform differnetly on paddocks etc if they ran em, these maybe more the average types the majority of lads own, good honest grafter types

The real un's kill em just as well anywhere, they just few and far between, but theres deffo dogs that excel on certain land types and woukld maybe perform differnetly on paddocks etc if they ran em, these maybe more the average types the majority of lads own, good honest grafter types

The dogs that are killing good hares on the big land, generally, can catch them anywhere......they're going to have the speed and the coursing brain for sure......

The average lurcher ain't going to do very well against the decent hares down there.... I wouldn't say.

• Like 3

for me a track greyhound is the better option, how many of them are successful because on top of their physical attributes they use their brains, looking for a gap staying out of trouble etc but a coursing dog that works out how to use its brain and starts to cut corners, hangs back a little etc is not going to clock up the points to win and is got rid of. conformation and temperament are far more important with an emphasis on good feet and strong wrists backed up by a bold but calm attitude

Although I wouldnt personally breed to a track greyhound ever I totally agree with you.

thanks, so much emphasis is put on a coursing greyhounds speed ie the run up which to me only proves one thing which is fastest in a straight line of maybe 2 or 300yds would allowing the hare more law not also test stamina, agility, durability etc?

Ya and if I absolutely had to use a track dog it would have to be a 9/16ths type and not one of them 1/4 milers.

didnt know there was races that short in the states-from what i see of american lines over this side-they seem to be a lot more durable-i.e last for a lot more races and are tougher(dont need any special treatment).Id say flying penske or kiowa mon manny lines could work well over your side(for lurchers)-dogs off them seem to go faster the farther they run

:D :D :D

i have seen fen dogs that are more suited to just fen land need that bit more room and take a bit of getting going. but i have also seen alot that can do it on both types of land. next season baw i come up to you for a day out and then you come with me. see what you think pal