Is The Greyhound Blood Really Needed In A Fen Dog ??

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As most modern greyhounds appear to have been bred for speed around a track rather than ability in the field it would seem to me to make more sense to use a fen bred lurcher, which will have the advan

IMO the answer to the posters question is "It depends if your saluki is fast enough".     Today i don't believe we need any addition of greyhound blood to the coursing gene pool. There's plenty eno

i wouldnt mind a bit of "master mcgrath", or "fullerton" blood but those days are long gone, sam the man might have been something to think about, a few years back,   although i wouldnt put one of t

I see dogs do the job then give an opinion. I have three in my kennel at the minute two will take thier fair share on the fens and on smaller land the other will be a journey man she will have to work hard for what she takes, I will say that a lot of the talked about x,s at the minute the only one I would class as proven is JM,s Lucas and the only proven Saluki running consistently up to date is T B,s Sonny. but this coming season I know of at least 5 pures that should make the grade

i dont agree with all that darcy imo in time you will need to bring greyhound blood back in to freshen it up. you maybe wont get a goodun for the fens direct out of greyhound but 2nd and 3rd genration id say you very well could. just my personal opinian :thumbs:

not if you have got decent saluki lines in the first place the mediocre salukis need the greyhound blood I run pures and they catch easy enough as do a lot of other lads :thumbs:

in your opinain desertbred witch would you say would make the better fen dog a pure saluki from decent lines like yours or one of the decent saluki lurchers about now :thumbs:

you know I run both and like pures better but you have a much better chance of getting a steady/average or top class hare kliler out the saluki lurcher lines imho, they also suit 'most' lads needs better, more hardy easier to work with imho, mind they only saluki bred for this country just as the pures we see are lurchers bred to run desert regions, to be fair they dont really compare on the whole, maybe if we ran say lucas or bulldozer in a desert, the saluki lurcger would come a second to the pure bred? who know they all a joy to watch runnign anyhow,

with regards to crossing back to pures, why not? the sal lurcher lines arte great nbd bred righ they produce great allrounders as well as coursing stock, but trying summat differnt can sometimes pay as you know well kc, its all a chance and hard work at the end of the day

• Like 1

As most modern greyhounds appear to have been bred for speed around a track rather than ability in the field it would seem to me to make more sense to use a fen bred lurcher, which will have the advantage of stamina, coursing sense, enough pace, and durability. But hey...what would I know?

I would love the opportunty to try a saluki x Galgo however, which may just approximate the original greyhound before breeding for the track lost some of these qualities.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but whats a galgo lad

This is another misconception that COO salukis only run on deserts they run on every kind of terrain you can imagine As i said this coming season will be a test for a number of dogs and imho a lot of eyes will be opened and a lot of the saluki plodder myths will be put to bed

i wouldnt mind a bit of "master mcgrath", or "fullerton" blood but those days are long gone, sam the man might have been something to think about, a few years back,

although i wouldnt put one of todays greyhounds over a bitch to breed a fen dog,

• Like 3

i wouldnt mind a bit of "master mcgrath", or "fullerton" blood but those days are long gone, sam the man might have been something to think about, a few years back,

although i wouldnt put one of todays greyhounds over a bitch to breed a fen dog,

yes agree dont think it would make the grade cocker but 2nd and 3rd genration would be intresting. i love the saluki but imo still need that touch of greyhound back in its blood now and again same as we do the pure saluki :thumbs: must say its great to have a difference in opiaions between of a few decent lads on here with out all the shite that goes on how this site should be :thumbs:

• Like 1

yes agree dont think it would make the grade cocker but 2nd and 3rd genration would be intresting. i love the saluki but imo still need that touch of greyhound back in its blood now and again same as we do the pure saluki :thumbs: must say its great to have a difference in opiaions between of a few decent lads on here with out all the shite that goes on how this site should be :thumbs:

would you say its equal qualities that both breeds contribute to make better dogs than the original individual breeds themselves

I see dogs do the job then give an opinion. I have three in my kennel at the minute two will take thier fair share on the fens and on smaller land the other will be a journey man she will have to work hard for what she takes, I will say that a lot of the talked about x,s at the minute the only one I would class as proven is JM,s Lucas and the only proven Saluki running consistently up to date is T B,s Sonny. but this coming season I know of at least 5 pures that should make the grade

theres plenty of sals running consistantly . but on the subject of sonny .heres a genuine enquiry how many times have you seen him run ?and whats the best you seen him do ?2/3 3/3 4s 5s ?