First Lurcher

Im looking in to getting my first lurcher in the future but not sure what would be best. What do you guys recommend? I personally like the idea of a beddy x whippet but I've seen some cracking dogs on here so I'm undecided. What did you guys start out with? Thanks for any advice :)

if you was to get a beddy whippet i would go for a 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy for no other reason than the fact i think it would be easier to train for you than the half cross. imo from what i have seen the half cross can be very pigheaded and i wouldnt recomend one for a first working dog.

My 1st lurcher, (not including my dads dog when growing up ) was a whip x grey molly.jpg but now I have a Bedlington whippet who I'm bringing on and at 13 months she's started to really surprise me this is her now B0D75C0A-3C7B-4767-A2DE-1C218F0264A3-967 . Good luck with what ever you choose bud

• Like 3

i am new to it all aswell mate, one thing i have learnt from previous posts similar to this on here is you have to take into consideration the grounds you are running the size of fields and your main aim for your dog to. Above all this you have to like the dog you get there is no point getting something for the sake of it and wishing you had something else! Get a young dog to so you can really bond with it i take mine everywhere i can with me they are brilliant dogs but they are what you make them!

All the best!

• Like 4

I thin collie/grey to easy to mess up yeah they learn fast but so do the bad traits Also easy to dishearten em if u dnt handle em [BANNED TEXT]. I go [BANNED TEXT] sum thin tougher in head that yeah mite b slightly head strong but harder to ingrain bad traits that my view any way lol beddy/whip/grey or beddy/whip 1/4 3/4 would be a good one me thin

• Like 3

My 1st lurcher, (not including my dads dog when growing up ) was a whip x grey molly.jpg but now I have a Bedlington whippet who I'm bringing on and at 13 months she's started to really surprise me this is her now B0D75C0A-3C7B-4767-A2DE-1C218F0264A3-967 . Good luck with what ever you choose bud

Lovely looking bitch Liam :yes: how tall is she?

My first running dog was an ex track greyhound bitch lol.....useless for hunting but opened up a whole new world for me....you got any ideas on the type of ground an quarry you will be running ?? Both should be taken into account an try find a pup to suit...my own dog (avatar pic) is 2nd X beddie/whip(sire)X collie/grey/whip(dam)....was quite easy to train an entered to quarry with no problem at all ( but was schooled with an experienced dog)..hes good wi other dogs/livestock though i only hunt with just me an him...think it builds a better bond between dog an handler...good luck in your search

Gravedigger, i'm just looking to do abit of rabbiting. Being in Lincolnshire a lot of the ground is large, open, flat fields but I live in the wolds which makes a nice change. Also some of my permission is woodlands. Not sure if that makes a massive difference? Cheers

It does really come down to "tools for the job" an also personal preference....mine snaps up rabbits an will split a hedge in two to get at something....hes just under 26"tts...if its short fast bursts of running then a beddie/whip would prob be a good choice as your not after something of a flat out coursing dog....ask about an try get out wi a few people an see different types of dog run if thats possible ,let you see the different running styles of different types an maybe use that as a yardstick to what your after for yourself