Hang the feeder off a tree branch with a chain. The rat won't be able to access it, but the chickens will. Simple solution.

Dont be so sure of yourself there fella, a rat can and will climb just as well as a squirrel.

Even copper pipe and tubular steel :yes:

Yeh, but if it's placed away from the tree trunk hanging freely, on a thin enough chain, it's not going to be able to climb the tree, across the branch and down the chain, and dependant on your feeder, even if it does, it still won't be able to sit there to feed, it would just fall off if you have bell shaped feeders.

Edited by Bunny Boiler

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great fun Snaring Rats.  

a rat would quite easily sit on top of feeder and eat the food, a tree branch and chain and going to stop it

Would a trap be better ?   If ratty has a well established run "outside" your chuck pen then yes, sink a fenn with a bit of mesh over or you may find a simple breakback set on the run will work just

Posted Images

Would a trap be better ?

If ratty has a well established run "outside" your chuck pen then yes, sink a fenn with a bit of mesh over or you may find a simple breakback set on the run will work just as well, baited or unbaited.

7f09aae9-e95d-4836-9dc2-3cf678af490e_zpsce0e30df.jpg

• Like 1

OK bunny boiler.

Its the feeder thats the problem, no matter how you position it, hang it on fishing line from a sky hook. The problem still remains.

Remove it and leave the rats to their own devices and you then run the risk of them finding another food source closer to home, or in your home.

Remove the rats and moderate the amount of food thats on offer for the chucks, just feed them what they will eat at a single sitting. Just until your on top of the rats

Fenn Trap near the feeder, smeared in Peanut butter. If it was me, I would have covered the garden in them just to make it a mine field for him!

What for a chicken to haplessly wander into, im sure its the rats you want to be trapping not the fowl

Hang the feeder off a tree branch with a chain. The rat won't be able to access it, but the chickens will. Simple solution.

Dont be so sure of yourself there fella, a rat can and will climb just as well as a squirrel.

Yeh, but if it's placed away from the tree trunk hanging freely, on a thin enough chain, it's not going to be able to climb the tree, across the branch and down the chain, and dependant on your feeder, even if it does, it still won't be able to sit there to feed, it would just fall off if you have bell shaped feeders.

a rat would quite easily sit on top of feeder and eat the food, a tree branch and chain and going to stop it

• Like 2

I know mate, :thumbs:

I helped a friend out last summer. She had a rat living in her house entering via a small hole where a waste pipe had been removed and not filled. My friend videoed the rat, it was leaving her house, scampering up the garden, through the hedge and climbing, at speed, straight up a fancy metal bird feeder, eating like crazy then scampering back to the house. A chunk of mars bar on a Big Nipper type trap sorted it out. i fed the rat with chocolate for a few days, then had him. In actual fact the rat was pissing in the meter cupboard and thats where i trapped him. A reet big sod he was too!

A well set trap should be able to fettle that rat.....I reckon.

The feeder is a metal treddle one, and I only put in enough for the day, and then wash it out and put it in the garage overnight, while the chooks are in the coop. The rat is coming in through a small gap between the closed board fence post and the brick wall of the shed, which is where I put the bait box. I can fence off that part of the garden to stop the chooks getting to the trap.

Thank you for all the advice

Rats are notoriously wary of anything new and many will consciously avoid going into a recently placed box regardless of what bait is in it. Bait may have to be placed out of an enclosed box, but in such a way that isn't accessible to any other creatures. It is also important to ensure that human scent doesn't come into the equation. As you may know rats tend to run tight to a structure whether that is a fence, shed or wall etc, and will only cross open areas when absolutely necessary. A naturally constructed tunnel of stones, twigs,vegetation or anything in keeping with the familiar surroundings it encounters where a trap or bait can be concealed, is beneficial in outwitting your quarry, whilst also preventing injury to non target species.

010_zpsfba412ca.jpg

014_zpscfc53a95.jpg

hi mate cant u put some boards or tin down on a run by or near there entrance to your garden?only a thought as i had rats after my pheasant feed in a shed wi no floor so i put some boards down & gave them a few wk to settle then hit them wi the terriers by lifting the boards.result was over 50 rats & some cracking fun wi pups wi hardly any digging involved.i tryed traps for a while before hand but they just wouldnt go near them no matter what bait was used but on the same note im glad they didnt use em .hope u find a solution mate as i know what its like when they keep ya dogs & the whole street up all night,+ the disruption to coops etc.. atb pigs

If you can see it and think you can get a shot at it then go for it. 1 cartridge of lead shot isnt going to kill all your hens with lead poisoning. If you not convinced then ask on here for someone in your area who is good with an air gun.