Mrs M's youngest and eldest called by yesterday morning to do the dutifuls. They also said they were taking her out to a nice restaurant (one we haven't been to before) and I was welcome to tag along (thanks for the invite and making me feel welcome).

We were delighted to see that wild boar was on the mains. Mrs M chose it for her main. I asked the waiter how it was served as it wasn't detailed on the menu which I thought was strange. Thinking it would be either a loin which was seared and sliced or even a few slices from a roasted leg but was surprised to learn that it was shredded. I opted for the roast rib of beef with all the trimmings as I don't go much on shredded pork regardless of how its cooked.

Waiter comes up and serves our starters, streching passed either of us on either side. Ok, it's a nice-ish restaurant, a bit up itself but its not like it's Michelin Starred or anything so I tolerated it, which is surprising for me.

The eveing carried on with old matey boy reaching past whomever side he appeared at with mains and desserts to boot. Needless to say Mrs M didn't go a bundle on her shredded pork/boar so she asked the aiter to wrap in it foil so she could take it home for the dog. My roast rib of beef was pretty good but the trimming were a couple of baby carrots, a parsnip which had been halved and left to shrivel somewhere near the roasting pan and a couple of 'tatas. During the course of the night we filled our own glasses with whatever we were drinking which, again, wasn't a problem as it wasn't expected.

We called for the bill and whilst reading it, saw there was a 12.5% discretionary surcharge added to the bottom. I blurted out 'Are they taking the piss? F*** me, for that kind tip I would expect a courtesy check on every course and for my glass to never be dry (even though it was water I drinking - I'm abstaining for Lent) never mind about old matey bollocks rubbing his armpit in my face everytime he came up. I wouldn't mind but it's not like it even a poxy michelin star joint!' I exclaimed.

'Actually, it is a michelin star joint' Mrs M's offspring informed me.

I was gob smacked as the level of service was far below anything I would expect.for a restaurant boasting about something like that. No courtesy check what so ever, a waiter reaching past you to set and collect plates, drinks glasses going empty and they wanted to sting us for an additional £16.98? We split the bill 3 ways and left a £2.02 tip. I watched him check the tip to see f they would say anything but they didn't. I don't mind tipping well for good service if it's given. A restaurant we used to frequent regularly (until the manager and head waiter went to work elsewhere) I used to tip them £20 everytime as the service was faultless and the food was excellent. And that was a ittle backwater bistro. Nothing poncey.

Cheeky buggers! Food was ok but if I'm honest, I've turned out better on a good night. Still, it wasn't as bad as this other restaurant we went to a couple of years ago but that's another story for another day.

Anyone have any restaurant tales to tell?

• Like 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i believe in tipping if i;m looked after the wife and my self were going out with her brother his misses and her sister and her fella and another couple so were first in and i said i'll get the bill

I tell you lab old gnash will take one butchers hook at that mountain and will be on the dog and bone to his china plate to help him train on his apple and pairs and if there is bangers and mash invol

Restaurants.......you posh feckers, I once had a breakfast in a cafe once and had to pay extra for fried bread when toast was free, never been back.

I always tip if the service and food are good... I have seen this once on a bill and i was enraged, i have never returned to that restaurant and never will. Ive worked in the hospitality industry and to demand a tip is beyond rude.

No way i would tip if it was on the bill. And i'd usually go to 10% if i enjoyed the meal and the service was good............ :thumbs:

Ive eaten in plenty of these Michelen star gaffs.............ive had peas on the floor,elbows in the soup,sauce down my shirt...............at the end of the day your paying to eat food.........if you dont like it you dont go back,if you do like it you do go back...........its simple mathematics like anything else......people who scrutinise every last penny on a bill do my f****n swede in !!.........Be polite,pay your bill then talk about it afterwards.

• Like 2

Ive eaten in plenty of these Michelen star gaffs.............ive had peas on the floor,elbows in the soup,sauce down my shirt...............at the end of the day your paying to eat food.........if you dont like it you dont go back,if you do like it you do go back...........its simple mathematics like anything else......people who scrutinise every last penny on a bill do my f****n swede in !!.........Be polite,pay your bill then talk about it afterwards.

Aye but when you've got more money than a "coo can shite" you tend not to worry about it,,,,,,, ;)

i believe in tipping if i;m looked after

the wife and my self were going out with her brother his misses and her sister and her fella and another couple

so were first in and i said i'll get the bill tonight so put my card behind the bar but did'nt tell the others i was paying

cos they'd of took the piss would'nt they ? so this young girl behind the bar is running round after us all night

nothing was too much trouble even though my wifes brothers an a**ehole and his mate was no better

so when its time to go i asked the 3 blokes for a fiver each well one handed over without even asking what it was for,

her brother and his mate refused when i said it was for the girl thats ran round after us all night

the embarrassing thing was the young girl was stood there with my bill so i gave her £20 and said can you change the bill

i'm paying for mine and the wifes and the other couples, the other pair can pay their own

you should of seen the look on their faces and a giant grin came on the girls face

and my taxi came straight away her brother was moaning cos he had to wait 45mins for his

i hate bad manners and rudeness

• Like 13

Who's scrutinising the bill? Do you never check to make sure that you are paying for what you've ordered and eaten/drank? There's been many a time when I've found soething on the bill that shouldn't be on there. I am polite and I know how to behave in a classy restaurant but this wasn't a classy restaurant. It's a pub that's climbed up its own backside and pretending to be something it's not. You're not only paying for the food, you do also pay for the service. The tip is meant to make up their wages but if I'm eating in a joint that says 'We are shit hot come and eat here!' then I would expect the waiter to know how to conduct himself around my table.

Who am I supposed to give the tip too in McDonalds? LOL.

You really are a classy bloke! :laugh:

Mr M Sometimes the delivery man from our local chippy leaves our front gate open , should I still tip him ?

If it bothers you then no, or maybe just ask him to close it next time. But to be honest, if you can't be arsed to walk to the chippy (or maybe go there in your obes-icle) then maybe you shouldn't be ordering take away.

My tipping is based entirely on how fit the waitress is, if it's a waiter they get f**k all.

A man after my own heart.

the wife and my self were going out with her brother his misses and her sister and her fella and another couple

so were first in and i said i'll get the bill tonight so put my card behind the bar but did'nt tell the others i was paying

cos they'd of took the piss would'nt they ? so this young girl behind the bar is running round after us all night

nothing was too much trouble even though my wifes brothers an a**ehole and his mate was no better

so when its time to go i asked the 3 blokes for a fiver each well one handed over without even asking what it was for,

her brother and his mate refused when i said it was for the girl thats ran round after us all night

the embarrassing thing was the young girl was stood there with my bill so i gave her £20 and said can you change the bill

i'm paying for mine and the wifes and the other couples, the other pair can pay their own

you should of seen the look on their faces and a giant grin came on the girls face

and my taxi came straight away her brother was moaning cos he had to wait 45mins for his

Quality!!!.......... :thumbs:

Exactamundo!

Aye but when you've got more money than a "coo can shite" you tend not to worry about it,,,,,,, ;)

Nothing to do with money its about manners................if you have to scrutinise a bill you should of gone to Mcdonalds where the prices are on the wall !....If you dont like it dont go back............

Going to a brass is a service but you still have to pay the agreed price even if its shit..........you just dont go back....apparently :D

• Like 1