Best Way To Get My Pup Running Beam

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

nae offence guys, but some a yous are way over thinking this situation, get the pup out, show it some bunnys, an itll soon click an start trusting the guy doin the lamp, practice makes perfect........

Imo you don't need a older dog/food ball's or anything else for that matter all you need is rabbit's that are not impossible to catch..don't slip the dog till it has seen the rabbit move and it will c

this place amazes me ffs what did we do before the internet do things not come natural any more dont agree in dropping rabbits for dogs its a joke

i was just wondering whats the best way to get my pup running beam i usually use food at end of beam but just wondering is there any better ways cheers

You usually use food at the end of the beam ?? wouldnt mind hearing how that works ??

Pernod

if it will play with a ball, throw the ball down the beam only few yards (and) let it see it, then let the dog go.after it. once it starts looking for the ball down the beam, you 1/2 way there. When you think it might catch a rabbit (how old is it), pick the rabbits for it get close, none of this silly long slips shit, plenty of time for them. dont forget its a pup :yes:

i was just wondering whats the best way to get my pup running beam i usually use food at end of beam but just wondering is there any better ways cheers

You usually use food at the end of the beam ?? wouldnt mind hearing how that works ??

Pernod

Iv seen a few people do this, stick a bowl of food down the end of the garden and put the lamp on it, dog runs down the beam for the food, soon learns there's going to be something for them at the end of that beam.

• Like 1

Pernod

Iv seen a few people do this, stick a bowl of food down the end of the garden and put the lamp on it, dog runs down the beam for the food, soon learns there's going to be something for them at the end of that beam.

Never heard of that before mate, I like a dog to retrieve and can't see how it could manage to do that with a bowl of food.

A better option would be a dummy or even a dead rabbit, do it on the same ground you do your retrieve training and the dog will soon realise what's required. But to be honest the penny soon drops after it's been taken out a couple of times with the lamp and shown a few rabbits. :thumbs:

Imo you don't need a older dog/food ball's or anything else for that matter all you need is rabbit's that are not impossible to catch..don't slip the dog till it has seen the rabbit move and it will click sooner or later.. :yes:

• Like 4

Imo you don't need a older dog/food ball's or anything else for that matter all you need is rabbit's that are not impossible to catch..don't slip the dog till it has seen the rabbit move and it will click sooner or later.. yes.gif

spot on millet, sighthound sees movement then chases whats running, aim the beam at the quarry and watch the chase. it really is that simple :yes:
  • Like 2

Imo you don't need a older dog/food ball's or anything else for that matter all you need is rabbit's that are not impossible to catch..don't slip the dog till it has seen the rabbit move and it will click sooner or later.. yes.gif

spot on millet, sighthound sees movement then chases whats running, aim the beam at the quarry and watch the chase. it really is that simple :yes:

Is it that simple? What if the rabbits sitting tight and the dog can't see it, do you have to walk up to every rabbit and kick

it up. :hmm:

Think the lad was asking what ways folks used to get their dogs to run the length of the beam even though

they couldn't see anything there [being true to the beam]. Some suggest food others dummies while others say get it out there and it'll learn from experience which is mostly the case Although I have seen lurchers refusing to move down the beam unless they can see the quarry, by feck that would be frustrating. :blink:

• Like 3

nae offence guys, but some a yous are way over thinking this situation, get the pup out, show it some bunnys, an itll soon click an start trusting the guy doin the lamp, practice makes perfect............

as far as walking up the beam to sitter, it dont take long for a dog to pick up whats happening, ye may have to walk upto a few to start with but that wont last forever

• Like 4