Digging on railway lines

I know a man who is payed to search foxes, badgers and rabbits on railway lines. He's working for SNCF. He use some little teckels with locators. But i don't how he does.

Firstly, use the rods.

Two possibilities for me :

The best is to own a very cautious dog, but very inquisitive. It's able to search and hunt a moment but you can call this dog and it come back.

This kind of dog is very precious. Some could think they aren't good terrier dogs, but in that particular case, they are great.

With such a dog, you can catch near the railway line or leave with the dog. The fox leaves the hole and you have to find his new den.

The second possibility is to use a repellent. The fox leaves the hole and you have to find his new den.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just because it stinks dosnt mean it being used, if it is being used get a dog that marks and when there not home fill it in and they will use another earth

A repellent such as creosote ? Never used a repellent before myself but I've heard it's a good way to shift them from deep holes to the diggable better suited holes for the next days venture if used a

If your fond of a dig james, come up to donegal i will put you to a few 16 to 20 footers, bring a packed lunch and some torches

I know a man who is payed to search foxes, badgers and rabbits on railway lines. He's working for SNCF. He use some little teckels with locators. But i don't how he does.

Firstly, use the rods.

Two possibilities for me :

The best is to own a very cautious dog, but very inquisitive. It's able to search and hunt a moment but you can call this dog and it come back.

This kind of dog is very precious. Some could think they aren't good terrier dogs, but in that particular case, they are great.

With such a dog, you can catch near the railway line or leave with the dog. The fox leaves the hole and you have to find his new den.

The second possibility is to use a repellent. The fox leaves the hole and you have to find his new den.

A repellent such as creosote ? Never used a repellent before myself but I've heard it's a good way to shift them from deep holes to the diggable better suited holes for the next days venture if used a few days prior. I personnally wouldn't fill burrows that are undiggable in or block them because they are what we call "feeder holes" self explainatory really. Just walk on by James, plenty off other places to be dropping dogs rather than railway banks.

• Like 5

Il tell you what will go on, youl drop the dog in he will end up right under the track, youl go up to get a mark on the dog youl put youre ear to the ground to see if hes on and thal be the last thing youl ever do in this life, cos youl think the passanger trains arent running because its sunday but the frieght trains still will be and thal be you gone, stay well clear pal, i do it every day for a living, no diggings worth risking tha

• Like 2

I would avoid it mate I've see a few railway banking collapse the bankings around here are the same plenty of foxes but it's very dangerous to dig them I can't tell u what to do but I've had a dead dog and a nearly suffocated dog so in my opinion best left alone

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

went and helped out on a rescue a couple of weeks ago-best part of 5m down 10ft under track-got the bitch back on 4th day-couldnt locate the dog rip boss-wouldnt want anymore like that one-they may look easy but most aint-respect your terriers and stay away from railway lines,quarries,sand dunes-a fox aint worth it-move on and try else where.atb for the rest of the season. :thumbs:

• Like 1