Wheaten ,instead of bull

Reading the thread on the wheaten/lakeland x has me thinking why is there not more wheaten x ,say pats,russell or lakelands about,there are plenty of bull xs to these terriers but would the wheaten not produce the same sort of drive but with more of the instinct to go to ground,Fatmans dogs sounds like it was the bench mark to what people would look for in this cross,

Is it because there are more bulls readily available to produce a stronger type ,but how many are actually workers that are used and would wheaten blood from working stock not be more suitable as a cross.

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's coming on Gem,I took him out with the terriers on Sunday for the first time,he seen a bit but wouldn't class him as started yet,still like a big pup.  the bitchs from the litter are maturing a b

Yes but people's definition of a working bull differ.

Posted Images

Graham i was told about a litter of patt/bull x patt/wheaten (basically haf patt, quarter wheaten, quarter bull)

i don't think any of them made three years of age due to wear and tear.

it was on your side of the water too..

also met a lad that had white terriers that were losing size. he bought in a working wheaten bred bitch with a plan to put his best russell on her then do father/daughter on a bitch out of the breeding. basically he had the wheaten 6 months and it drove him mad around the kennel and was in his words 'liability' and he passed her on without lining her.

Graham i was told about a litter of patt/bull x patt/wheaten (basically haf patt, quarter wheaten, quarter bull)

also met a lad that had white terriers that were losing size. he bought in a working wheaten bred bitch with a plan to put his best russell on her then do father/daughter on a bitch out of the breeding. basically he had the wheaten 6 months and it drove him mad around the kennel and was in his words 'liability' and he passed her on without lining her.

They can be a handful alright(wheatens)but most of the bull blood worth breeding from would be similar ,that would of been a good way to do it,i reckon 3/4 smaller terrier 1/4 wheaten would be just right,but as you said they might not last too long due to wear and tear :thumbs:
  • Like 2

Have a pup at the minute around6 months old half patterdale 1/4 Wheaton 1/4 Russell seems game enough for his age but came smallish wouldn't think he had any Wheaton in him looking to work him next season the picture was taken awhile back and isn't great

Edited by manboutdog89

Graham i 1st started off with bullxrussells back in the mid 70s as thats what was about at the time for diging with the odd border or irish terrier x.There were also some wheatens on the go then around me but none of the diging lads seemed to use them in there earth dogs as they said they were too aggresive towards other dogs compared to the bullxs.Now the wheatenx i had was an aggresive b*****d as anyone that knew the dog will vouch but in the ground he was as good as i ever seen before or since.I now also hav a bullxpatt dog 4 year old and a very good dog to ground,hard as nails but thats to be expected with the breeding.As you said there are a lot of bullx terriers bred but are they bred off proper working bulls like what we bred from.I see a lot of these staffs walking about and compared to dogs 30 year ago they are twice the size and would never run a shoot never mind run an earth.The bitch we bred from was dug at times when we were stuck for earth dogs and could travel an earth without much difficulty.a lot of the wheatens that are about now are the same big leggy b*****ds that the show crowd have created compared to the tidy wheaten that was used in the field for years.I used to dig with a man who is close on 80 now and still keeps a couple of wheatenx lurchers but he has a halfx wheatenxrussell who was a demon to ground on fox and could hold her own with any game so the x does work but to find the right wheaten to x with the right bitch and for them to gell and produce workers i think it would be a trial and error situation for a few year,jmho.

• Like 5

They can be a handful alright(wheatens)but most of the bull blood worth breeding from would be similar ,that would of been a good way to do it,i reckon 3/4 smaller terrier 1/4 wheaten would be just right,but as you said they might not last too long due to wear and tear :thumbs:

I bought a white dog at 3 years old about 12 years ago. Not being totally sure of his breeding I originally thought he was bred from a russell and a chocolate patterdale, but eventually discovered it was bred in Ireland and was about 1/4 wheaten. Powerful dog about 15" tts and a massive head. Probably best working dog I've ever had and brilliant in kennels etc but as hard as hell when working underground. Literally as tough as they come. Had to be careful where I worked him as you needed to get down to him pretty quick, but as a hard dog and finisher you couldn't ever want for more. More use should be made of the working wheaten strains in my opinion. All the best with yours. Cheers. Nick.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be qualified to assist with the topic, but me personally don't see the need to cross a wheaton with any working terrier, whether it be lakeland,patterdale,russell, border, y not be true to type an keep the wheatons pure an as there for one job an one job only jmo, no disrespect to the lads that have or still wrkn the wheatonxterrier fair due's to you's, i just don't see the need or the use to have one atb hg

Edited by hard grafter
  • Like 1