Working Bedlingtons 2005

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mates beddy types ?

A couple of digging lads that go to the meeting have been out with Cain this season,the FMWTC meetings where often a place that some found advantageous in sourcing stock,days in the field,like minded

Tango mid 90's Dam of Yogi

Posted Images

One of your Bitc*es doing her bit.........what, jibbing?.....lmao. Only pulling your Leg mate.

I spoke to GN once about the Bedlington, and he said to me that he would never work them to Badger, as in his opinion they were too hard. He said they were designed to go to ground and kill their Foxes, intentionally putting them on Badger he considered cruel. The discussion was obvuiously about 'back in the Day'.

Where did the Bedlington go so wrong, where it is necessary to add a cross and it being acceptable to have a cross still calling them Bedlingtons?

Going by some of the Posts, anything that looks like a Bedlington is considered a Bedlington by guys who work them, regardless of what cross is in them? When would these guys stop referring to them as Bedlingtons, when it is a 1/2 cross or less? No digs just interested.

You've obviously got some bee in your bonnet about Bedlingtons and when they should be called Bedlingtons. I've clearly stated in all my posts on this thread what they are be it 1/2 cross or 3/4 cross.

Forgive me if I'm wrong wasn't it George who brought in the outcross in the first place and still called them Bedlingtons, or is it that we have to listen to you and call them something else?

I'll ask the same question again, seeing as you choose to ignore the other thread which is directed at you, What's your involvement with Bedlingtons??

I haven't got a Bee in my Bonnet about Bedlingtons, couldn't care less. The Breed is a minority Breed, and discussion about them can bring a little interest. I know what you have said about the Breed Jack, but perhaps you are not the only one here with Bedlingtons??!!

Yes GN did add Lakie, but others have carried it on since him. I don't agree with his opinions and the way he tried to 'maintain' the working ability anyway. I personally think if they are crossed they should be refered to as just that, a Bedlington cross. After all, a Border with Patterdale in it is not a Border, it is a Border/Patterdale cross.

My involvement with Bedlingtons is NIL, only a curiosity I have with all so called working dogs. Getting back to basics Jack and trying to find out more. We have all read what Jack thinks, does anyone else care to take part in the discussion?

:ph34r:

If I believe your description of the word “PURE†is to mean registered with the KC, it used to be possible (I don’t know if it still is) under regulation B.2c of the “KC Regulations for Classification & Registration†to register the first generation as Crossbreeds, then by introducing only registered Bedlingtons you were able to register the fourth generation as pure Bedlingtons.....So the answer to your question is four generations.

So it’s also a fair assumption to say that if your dog has a 16th of an outcross in the breeding irrespective of wether its registered you have a Bedlington, it might not win a show, it might not even work but you still have a Bedlington.

Also the majority of people I have met who have used an outcross are more than open about their breeding, and I can't for the life of me see any reason if you are honest when asked, why you can't call your dog a Bedlington if it generally looks and acts like one.

I can only describe from experience the Border cross and I can asure you the first generation looks, handles and in temperament is nothing at all like a Bedlington and I’ve yet to speak to anyone who describes it as such.

Also GN did not in any way introduce a cross into his line to maintain working ability.

Printer

One of your Bitc*es doing her bit.........what, jibbing?.....lmao. Only pulling your Leg mate.

I spoke to GN once about the Bedlington, and he said to me that he would never work them to Badger, as in his opinion they were too hard. He said they were designed to go to ground and kill their Foxes, intentionally putting them on Badger he considered cruel. The discussion was obvuiously about 'back in the Day'.

Where did the Bedlington go so wrong, where it is necessary to add a cross and it being acceptable to have a cross still calling them Bedlingtons?

Going by some of the Posts, anything that looks like a Bedlington is considered a Bedlington by guys who work them, regardless of what cross is in them? When would these guys stop referring to them as Bedlingtons, when it is a 1/2 cross or less? No digs just interested.

You've obviously got some bee in your bonnet about Bedlingtons and when they should be called Bedlingtons. I've clearly stated in all my posts on this thread what they are be it 1/2 cross or 3/4 cross.

Forgive me if I'm wrong wasn't it George who brought in the outcross in the first place and still called them Bedlingtons, or is it that we have to listen to you and call them something else?

I'll ask the same question again, seeing as you choose to ignore the other thread which is directed at you, What's your involvement with Bedlingtons??

I haven't got a Bee in my Bonnet about Bedlingtons, couldn't care less. The Breed is a minority Breed, and discussion about them can bring a little interest. I know what you have said about the Breed Jack, but perhaps you are not the only one here with Bedlingtons??!!

Yes GN did add Lakie, but others have carried it on since him. I don't agree with his opinions and the way he tried to 'maintain' the working ability anyway. I personally think if they are crossed they should be refered to as just that, a Bedlington cross. After all, a Border with Patterdale in it is not a Border, it is a Border/Patterdale cross.

My involvement with Bedlingtons is NIL, only a curiosity I have with all so called working dogs. Getting back to basics Jack and trying to find out more. We have all read what Jack thinks, does anyone else care to take part in the discussion?

If I believe your description of the word “PURE†is to mean registered with the KC, it used to be possible (I don’t know if it still is) under regulation B.2c of the “KC Regulations for Classification & Registration†to register the first generation as Crossbreeds, then by introducing only registered Bedlingtons you were able to register the fourth generation as pure Bedlingtons.....So the answer to your question is four generations.

So it’s also a fair assumption to say that if your dog has a 16th of an outcross in the breeding irrespective of wether its registered you have a Bedlington, it might not win a show, it might not even work but you still have a Bedlington.

Also the majority of people I have met who have used an outcross are more than open about their breeding, and I can't for the life of me see any reason if you are honest when asked, why you can't call your dog a Bedlington if it generally looks and acts like one.

I can only describe from experience the Border cross and I can asure you the first generation looks, handles and in temperament is nothing at all like a Bedlington and I’ve yet to speak to anyone who describes it as such.

Also GN did not in any way introduce a cross into his line to maintain working ability.

Printer

can anybody tell me where the ROACHED back come,s from in the bedlington?

Guest bedlington

check this discushion out

http://www.bedlingtons.co.uk/chat/messages...une2120010506pm

Printer

Guest vanstub
Ive got a question for you Bedlington keepers, a few years ago there was a film showing a few beddies at work, some of you must have seen it, maybe you was in it, my question is, how would you rate the standard of terriers [workwise] in that video..............Carreg

have u got any more details than that so we can source it :good:

Who was in the Video, what dogs, have you seen it Carreg how do you rate it?

P.S. ANYONE GOT ANY WORKING BEDLINGTONS (K.C. Reg or outcrossed) that they'd like to put a post on here about??

heres mine 14mths just started http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dogs0159bc.jpg kc registered