Entering to fox

You got more chance of making a dog at 2yr old when he's fully developed mentally,physically & had a season of rabbiting under its belt than you will at 12 months old that hasn't seen much & he's still puppyish not matured & developed to the full there's to many people ruining dogs by entering them to young & the wrong way & wonder why they jib that's atb cbx

good dogs start young shit dogs don't

i knew of two pups out of a litter here few years back, 1 big dog went to a man with this type of outlook on dogs and the second smallest bitch went to a man who keeps himself to himself...........at 12 months the big dog was passed back to the breeder as a jibber as it spewed on a fox..............the lad who bred it gave the dog took a chance and it did take a long time to get going, infact it never took a fox single that season lol but when it did click on, it was a fair old animal........ :yes:

the little bitch self entered in her own time by a lad who knew his dogs and was a bitch to be proud off...........coincidence............. :hmm:

an i can tell ye aboot a litter that was opposite, a few guys run em on young an they made the grade, a few folks sat on pups an they were culled in end, likes been said, everybody an every dog is diffrent, the trick to entering young is is to build confidence, not over match a young dog :thumbs:

Trouble is a lot of lads think holding a dog back means you leave it sat in a pen and the dogs just end up mongos.

like i said pal, everybody is diffrent, pups dont learn jack shit in a pen, but i know folk leave em there till they think they ready for work, same as some folks drop pups on shit that'll over match them, wether that be a good hare/fox/deer or even a bunny that knows the score, but there are guys out there who enter dogs young, build them up an in the end get decent dogs, each to there own, but i like to think i know what i got before it hits maturity :thumbs:

So what age would you say was an appropriate age to enter a dog ? I've never entered a dog to fox so wouldn't know myself but it's interesting to see how many different opinions there are on the subject. If only it was pre ban I might of been thinking about entering the bitch I have now :thumbs:

all my dogs see fox from 8 months and up. by the time there 10 11 months i can tell if a dogs got it or not..... i've been there and done it holding dog's back hopeing they will do the job and they don't.... but everybody has there own opion.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thats how i entered my dog (legal here in NI) he was slipped on his own at a week or 2 before his 2nd birthday which is also the start of my hunting season sept/oct , he gave the fox some run turning

My first bitch was entered at 18 months, i knew she was well bred and had the pedigree to take foxes, but you never know until the job is completed,, even if the dog was to attack the fox and feel the

You got more chance of making a dog at 2yr old when he's fully developed mentally,physically & had a season of rabbiting under its belt than you will at 12 months old that hasn't seen much & h

Posted Images